1two3

help picking sub and amp combo 500ish watts

A friend of mine just got a car and wants a bit of bang in his trunk. Door speakers will be stock And just an amp for the sub. Still working on Convincing him on getting the rest.

Car: 2004 Honda civic 4door Sedan

Alternator: 70a?

H/u: Probably my current pioneer 8500bhs?

Amp: I was thinking 500ish watts

Sub: probably 15" sealed.

Goals: cheap and sq

Box size: 2-3 cubes max total

I'm open to all opinions :)

For the sub I was thinking the RE sex15..is that a good choice?

The newer RE stuff isn't on the same level it used to be years ago.  I would throw the 15" DCON with S4 coil suggestion out there with something like the Soundqubed Q1-750.  You can run it at 4 ohms for 300 watts of power and still have room to upgrade in the future all for a very modest price.  Just be sure there's room to fit a proper enclosure for whatever sub you choose to use, even sealed for a 15 can be a decent size.

Just my worthless .02 opinion.

The newer RE stuff isn't on the same level it used to be years ago.  I would throw the 15" DCON with S4 coil suggestion out there with something like the Soundqubed Q1-750.  You can run it at 4 ohms for 300 watts of power and still have room to upgrade in the future all for a very modest price.  Just be sure there's room to fit a proper enclosure for whatever sub you choose to use, even sealed for a 15 can be a decent size.

Just my worthless .02 opinion.

thanks Alton, that amp looks awesome. i didnt even think of soundqubed.

speaking of....how about their street duty 2.5 sub? i always liked the look of their cones

I have had great results with sound quebed amps!!

The dcon is a much better choice from my experiance.

Edited by pmureika

I have had great results with sound quebed amps!!

The dcon is a much better choice from my experiance.

Mind sharing your experience?

A budget would be way more helpful than a power recommendation...

for 500w why wouldnt you just get a 4 channel like the sax100.4 and run a front stage and small subwoofer in back?

I am currently running the Re SEX15 sealed in the back of my SUV, and am loving it.  Running it off of a PPI sedona series 850.1 amp.

Have to say, ordered the sub over a year ago, had it in the garage until a couple months ago when I finally got around to hooking it up, and after reading all of the negative RE viewpoints being thrown around, I was pleasantly surprised with it.  down the road I will likely be building a nice ported enclosure for it, but for know, am definitely enjoying it sealed.

Edited by nigel

I am currently running the Re SEX15 sealed in the back of my SUV, and am loving it. Running it off of a PPI sedona series 850.1 amp.

Have to say, ordered the sub over a year ago, had it in the garage until a couple months ago when I finally got around to hooking it up, and after reading all of the negative RE viewpoints being thrown around, I was pleasantly surprised with it. down the road I will likely be building a nice ported enclosure for it, but for know, am definitely enjoying it sealed.

Now that's what I wanted to hear. Its most likely gonna be sealed for a while so this great. Thanks!

400ish $ buget

For the box, sub and amp? Any other ancillary gear you need to fall into the $400?

400ish $ buget

For the box, sub and amp? Any other ancillary gear you need to fall into the $400?

Just for the sub and amp. I'm gonna be giving him my old 4g wires and RCA's, and we gonna build the box with my spare Mdf.

I have a new gcon I'll let go of cheap, it's an ib version but should work fine sealed, but let the pros weigh in on that before you decide. I don't have specs so I'm not positive.

If I had a $400 budget and could swing a Gcon I would.  Can't exactly comment on Rick's since I don't know exactly what was changed.

I have a new gcon I'll let go of cheap, it's an ib version but should work fine sealed, but let the pros weigh in on that before you decide. I don't have specs so I'm not positive.

Youre supposed to use it. Not sell it. fing23.gif

Youre supposed to use it. Not sell it. :fing23:

Plans for the infiniti have changed I'm not really set on selling it yet. I have two, and I'm thinking about a home audio ib setup. I'm moving within the year so I wouldn't get into it before then. However if someone can use it I'd be willing to pass them along at a good price.

Youre supposed to use it. Not sell it. :fing23:
Plans for the infiniti have changed I'm not really set on selling it yet. I have two, and I'm thinking about a home audio ib setup. I'm moving within the year so I wouldn't get into it before then. However if someone can use it I'd be willing to pass them along at a good price.

Text me

Boneriffic. Avoid the skarbage

Boneriffic. Avoid the skarbage

Yes thank you. Never used it never will. Other than the gcon do u have any suggestions?

You can get a 12" sub and a run it in a ported box.

Just another option.  ;)

You can get a 12" sub and a run it in a ported box.

Just another option.  wink.png

also true.  any recomendations?

Fi!!!!

The x series is a 750 rms sub.

Now I have 2 BL's. a 12 an 15 and love the way they sound in their boxes and their capable frequency range. Now i havent heard anybody elses before because noone knows shit about audio where im from. we have a monopoly shop and they fuck people but back to thread.......

OP If money isn't as issue I would do as these guys say and run SSA or Fi.

Fi!!!!

The x series is a 750 rms sub.

Now I have 2 BL's. a 12 an 15 and love the way they sound in their boxes and their capable frequency range. Now i havent heard anybody elses before because noone knows shit about audio where im from. we have a monopoly shop and they fuck people but back to thread.......

OP If money isn't as issue I would do as these guys say and run SSA or Fi.

seriously cant beleive i overlooked the x .....tool.gif

looks like its settled then. fi x 12 ported on the soundqubed q1-750.

thanks boys