I just ordered a 1200rms amp from Hifonics, then, on sale I found another hifonics amp of the same class and everything on sale for the same price, but its 1700rms!

The 2 subs im running will take 400-500rms each, so I know the amp is overpowered, but should I cancel my order and get the 1700rms???
I wont lose anything, I just need to know if the amp is too powerful? I would like to save the amp for a future more powerful setup.

I have a 2000 mustang, and I only play music while the car is turned on, will the 1700 amp be too much to start my car? or will I notice any difference in power even if I keep everything turned down to only be pushing about 800-1000rms???

Please hurry, thank you!

Edited by Dangercdv

More head room is good. You wouldn't have to always be putting that much to them.. I would get more power if its the same price

So I wont have any problem starting the car, using lights, and all that stuff from the bigger amp?
I will keep it toned down, and save it for a more powerful setup in my next car in a year or so.

So I wont have any problem starting the car, using lights, and all that stuff from the bigger amp?

I will keep it toned down, and save it for a more powerful setup in my next car in a year or so.

With the big 3 upgrade, i'd feel comfortable up to 2000 watts. FWIW, you might still see some light flicker and such when you start pushing it and at that point i'd check into another battery (AGM) for the trunk.

Grab it

I actually just got another battery yesterday because my old one died, so hopefully this one holds up.

I got the amp :)

Thank you for the assistance

Set the gain conservatively and you won't have any issues.

What voice coil/ ohm rating are your subs? Perhaps you can wire the amp down to 2ohm, 4ohm...etc

Agreed, get the more power.

For reference, you will not hear a difference between 1200w and 1700w no matter what subs you are using. So don't buy it thinking it will sound significantly louder. That said as pointed out headroom is a good thing and I would guess the larger amp would maintain a higher resale value as well, so if the price is the same no downside to the larger amp.

well, the subs are 400rms each, and Dual 4 ohms, so I can wire them to 1 ohm for 1700rms or 4 ohm for 600rms,

so il just do 1 ohm and be very gentle with the gain.

600 rms @ 4 ohm?

...that would give 300 to each sub and the amp would be more efficient at 4 ohm than 1 ohm...worth a try?

Someone correct my logic?

600 rms @ 4 ohm?

...that would give 300 to each sub and the amp would be more efficient at 4 ohm than 1 ohm...worth a try?

Someone correct my logic?

THD will be reduced, less heat on the components so I would believe efficiency does go up. I can see keeping the ohm load down on a component amp, but honestly its useless on a sub amp. There will be no audible difference besides output and as long as you stay within the manufacturers ohm rating the amp should last many, many years. OP, I say run it at 1ohm. As long as you understand what the gain knob is and how its supposed to operate then I don't think you'll have any problem with the extra power.