garychurch84

Port location,Opinions needed

My current box is 36"x16"x28" tuned @30 for 2 icon 12's.slot port.My question is would I benefit from building a new box with the port centered between the subs and fire the port thru the rear arm rest.Back seats don't don't drop down.98 pontiac gtp.

is it sub back port back?

which ever would work best,I was gonna have subs facing back seats an port firing thru armrest

you could try that, and see how it sounds, but perhaps your subs facing the backseat and being closer to the front of the trunk will rattle the rear deck more

I just don't wanna spend $200+ on a box and it not benefit me any.As for the rear deck I'm already about rip that noisy sob out lol.

I would say sub back port back would be the best sounding option in your case. Unless you want to look into a 4th order ported through rear deck.

So stay with what I have

I just don't wanna spend $200+ on a box and it not benefit me any.As for the rear deck I'm already about rip that noisy sob out lol.

deadening? 

Edited by lithium

deadening?

No sir,not yet

Just"Great Stuff" in the trunk lid

Edited by garychurch84

less noise is more bass

i've great stuffed my trunk lid and rear deck as well lol. 

less noise is more bass

i've great stuffed my trunk lid and rear deck as well lol.

lol,hmmm didn't think to try it in the rear deck

i run my subs IB (infinite baffle) so its mainly for plugging holes. 

I've also been thinking about this box being more for numbers if that changes anything

i run my subs IB (infinite baffle) so its mainly for plugging holes.

I know that stuff is sticky as hell

This is one if the instances is recommend a 4th order bandpass

I know in my first car they had to be firing into the rear or firing forward pushed all the way to the back for it to sound right/ be the loudest. Any other way sounded weird as if it wasn't loading correctly. A 4 bp may work like q said. Just depending on how much trunk space you're willing to give up I know theyre pretty small.

The demensions I posted in the in the first quote is the absolute biggest that can go in my car,anything bigger will have to be built in the trunk.

I'm wanting to to tune around cabin gain which is 40ish I don't know the exact sweet spot.while I was searching google I found one guy on SMD said. His 98 gtp peak at 44hz

I know the Icons aren't really spl but I feel there's more numbers to be had.this box will only be used when I decide to compete

Edited by garychurch84

this box will only be used when I decide to compete

If you are planning a comp "Burp" or 30 sec SPL enclosure I'd suggest tuning WAY higher than 44 htz ...

If you are planning a comp "Burp" or 30 sec SPL enclosure I'd suggest tuning WAY higher than 44 htz ...
tbh I think I just wanna be a bit louder than my current setup I may only compete a few times a year.

I want to get a good bit of exp before I get that deep in

tbh I think I just wanna be a bit louder than my current setup I may only compete a few times a year.

I want to get a good bit of exp before I get that deep in

You could possibly tune to 57 htz and still get considerably good amout of low end bass ...

depending on enclosure build and euuipment being used ...

I'm just suggesting because I always see lower tuned "Cars" get their asses handed to them ...

They "sound" good and get loud ... but none of that matters to a SPL meter, which is the ONLY thing that counts in SPL competition ..

Or just have 2 ports, one for SPL and one to sound good...

Or just have 2 ports, one for SPL and one to sound good...

that's not a bad idea

post-29720-0-00691400-1391012378.jpg

This what I started out talking about.Would benefit any from firing my port thru here?

not a bad idea but never seen a design like that before? any examples

I think it was a 4th order like mentioned earlier,I think there was pic give me a secpost-29720-0-58401000-1391017894_thumb.j

Edited by garychurch84