frogcase2002

new enclosure for the zcons

What all do I need to model my zcon for the new enclosure? About to start building and want to have the enclosure design as good as I can.

Goals. Equipment. Vehicle. Preferred listening material. Available space. Like, c'mon. Does no one read the rules. One does not simply model for Shits n giggles.

All you need to model is paper clips, hair spray and a lingerie. Good luck

All you need to model is paper clips, hair spray and a lingerie. Good luck

O ok. Didn't know that. Ill try

Goals. Equipment. Vehicle. Preferred listening material. Available space. Like, c'mon. Does no one read the rules. One does not simply model for Shits n giggles.

I have read the rules and know the info I need to put when posting a "help design" post. I'm meaning like what do you use (programs or what ever) like what shows an enclosure design will work better than others

Define better.

A flatter response. I'm not sure what you use to see the responses of enclosures

WinISD. There are loads of calculators like RE but are not as accurate. But in the end its trial and error because we don't have any ideas what your tastes or restrictions are....

And for someone using zcons..... You should have a little better handle on these things, those are not starter sub's.

And for someone using zcons..... You should have a little better handle on these things, those are not starter sub's.

Im not just starting out in audio or something. I just have usually had other people design my enclosures and others enclosures I build because I don't have a computer. Yes they are not "starter" subs but I'm not starting out. Iv been running the zcon model since a little after they came out.

You are going to need a computer or see if someone on the forum will design you a box.

If you're going for SPL, go ahead and throw away any ideas of modeling. Nothing beats trial and error and experience, no matter what anyone says. The cabin will affect the enclosure greatly, and I happen to know quite a bit about the Taurus/Sable...  Shoot me a text if you still have my number and want to know anything specific. My new box should be going in soon, and I'll let you know how that goes: same subs, same car, trunk sealed off, and an 8" aero. I think I'm going to start off with around 4.5 cubes since they'll be on a JBL Crown 6k soon.

If you just want a pretty flat response, check out some of these spreadsheets http://audio.claub.net/software/jbabgy/jbagby.html

I got an idea of the design I'm going to try next. I'm just wantin to know how to see the frequency response and stuff like that

I got an idea of the design I'm going to try next. I'm just wantin to know how to see the frequency response and stuff like that

Unless you're taking the acoustic properties of the cabin of the car into consideration, the enclosure will have an entirely different response once in the car.

What all do I need to model my zcon for the new enclosure? About to start building and want to have the enclosure design as good as I can.

go with the recommended enclosure spec from SSA. 

if you have you're limiting dimensions someone could probably design the box for you. 

if you have you're limiting dimensions someone could probably design the box for you.

I can design the enclosure. As in the cubic feet and tuning (port length) and figure cut sheet and build really good. . I just always see people talking about that you can see frequency response and port velocity and stuff like that. .... that's what I was trying to figure out

What we are saying is that on paper and according to a software you could have a "perfect" box for what you want, but once its in your car those numbers mean little... Very little.

I can design the enclosure. As in the cubic feet and tuning (port length) and figure cut sheet and build really good. . I just always see people talking about that you can see frequency response and port velocity and stuff like that. .... that's what I was trying to figure out

SSA already figured it out. that's where their numbers come from. 

What we are saying is that on paper and according to a software you could have a "perfect" box for what you want, but once its in your car those numbers mean little... Very little.

wait how the fuck do you think SSA came up with enclosure recommendations in the first place? i understand that the program doesn't model in car response but no one here is claiming that it does. 

Unless you're taking the acoustic properties of the cabin of the car into consideration, the enclosure will have an entirely different response once in the car.
Which is rudimentary 101 in modelling. Trial and error is stupid without modelling.

I second this. 

Why is everyone thinking I'm trying to have someone design an enclosure for me. . . I'm trying to see if there is a way to see the frequency response and stuff like that with trying different size enclosures and port size and power.

winisd is pretty simple. plug in the t/s specs and the enclosure size. but drawing any conclusion or comparisons between enclosures requires a bit more understanding. 

Edited by lithium

Why is everyone thinking I'm trying to have someone design an enclosure for me. . . I'm trying to see if there is a way to see the frequency response and stuff like that with trying different size enclosures and port size and power.

It's not really that, it's just that you can't be completely sure about the response unless you also take the cabin into consideration. I believe our car generally has a small peak in the low 40hz region

It's not really that, it's just that you can't be completely sure about the response unless you also take the cabin into consideration. I believe our car generally has a small peak in the low 40hz region

Iv usually peaked right around 30-32 with most enclosures I have tryed. Even when i tuned enclosures different Edited by frogcase2002