Lee Carter

Critical Mass

Was goofing off on Fleabay, and saw these...14,000 for some 6.5 comps and a 400w amp?  WOW!  They do have a used set for only 8K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Critical-MASS-audiophile-6-5-inch-complete-Front-Stage-Amplified-System-CM654a-/321336314419?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item4ad1230a33

Can they really be that much better?  I think it is funny that they state 400w rms but pair them to 100w/channel amp.

Makes these 5.000 dollar Morel's look like walmart speakers! (not knocking Walmart speakers- I have a set in my burb.lol)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOREL-SUPREMO-602-6-5-2-WAY-CAR-AUDIO-COMPONENT-MIDS-TWEETERS-SPEAKERS-NEW-/400605811874?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5d45f794a2&vxp=mtr

Was goofing off on Fleabay, and saw these...14,000 for some 6.5 comps and a 400w amp?  WOW!  They do have a used set for only 8K.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Critical-MASS-audiophile-6-5-inch-complete-Front-Stage-Amplified-System-CM654a-/321336314419?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item4ad1230a33

Can they really be that much better?  I think it is funny that they state 400w rms but pair them to 100w/channel amp.

Makes these 5.000 dollar Morel's look like walmart speakers! (not knocking Walmart speakers- I have a set in my burb.lol)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOREL-SUPREMO-602-6-5-2-WAY-CAR-AUDIO-COMPONENT-MIDS-TWEETERS-SPEAKERS-NEW-/400605811874?pt=Car_Speakers&hash=item5d45f794a2&vxp=mtr

The Morels actually have a 3" voice coil, also critical mass has been around for as long as I can remember.

I wasn't trying a down them...I was just amazed.  I would love to hear a set.

I don't know about their speakers but their UL12 subwoofer was reviewed by CA&E magazine as the best sub ever (not the exact words). Of course that's a HUGE statement but I do remember the Klippel curves sure were sexy. Very linear on all fronts if I'm remembering correctly. I probably have the issue with the test and results in the closet, but I digress. Even if they produce some of the "best" equipment I can't see how it could even begin to carry those prices, they're as bad as Rolls Royce. Then again I don't get the price tag on those Morels either and I'll readily admit I'm no authority on any of it so take my opinions for what they're worth.

Always wanted to see a UL12.

I'm going to have to look up their subs now.  I am sure they are the cats meow so to speak. 

I guess everything is relative.  I am not oposed to running a 1000-1200 dollar front stage, in my <20K dollar Avalanche...So I supposed a 14K front stage in a 200K+ vehicle is on par.  They are sexy as hell.

EDIT- went and checked out their site.  That is why I waven't heard of them- they are way out of my league.lol

Edited by Leedogg

meh. Focus on the install not the equipment and the results will be better. Some people just have stupid money though so...

They are out their damn mind. That product cost no where near that much money to make.

I should know.

Ive always wondered about how their products perform.

Again, wonder about the installation. I really don't het all the fascination with shit that is overpriced. It foregos themost important portion - the install.

I don't know about their speakers but their UL12 subwoofer was reviewed by CA&E magazine as the best sub ever (not the exact words). Of course that's a HUGE statement but I do remember the Klippel curves sure were sexy. Very linear on all fronts if I'm remembering correctly. I probably have the issue with the test and results in the closet, but I digress. Even if they produce some of the "best" equipment I can't see how it could even begin to carry those prices, they're as bad as Rolls Royce. Then again I don't get the price tag on those Morels either and I'll readily admit I'm no authority on any of it so take my opinions for what they're worth.

The UL12 used an MMAG motor, same tech Quentin is using in some of his DSS drivers. It was indeed a well measuring driver, never had the pleasure of playing with one.

That said the actual street price for a lot of the CM gear is far less than the ebay ads, although IMO still way more than they were worth. Someone posted gut shots of one of their amps on DIYMA a couple years ago....looked like any other Asia buildhouse mass produced OEM product. IIRC they might have even identified what other amps used that same board, and they were not high dollar brands.

Someone posted gut shots of one of their amps on DIYMA a couple years ago....looked like any other Asia buildhouse mass produced OEM product. IIRC they might have even identified what other amps used that same board, and they were not high dollar brands.

You know- when I was looking at their amp(as a novice)- I was thinking that visually, they don't look any different than any other amp. (as far as connectors, inputs and such)  Now their Subs(UL12) does have a look all its own- with the carbon fiber look, and the magnet structure looks wicked, and the component looks cool too- but that is just looks.  Glad I wasn't the only one think that was crazy.LOL

The UL12 used an MMAG motor, same tech Quentin is using in some of his DSS drivers. It was indeed a well measuring driver, never had the pleasure of playing with one.

That said the actual street price for a lot of the CM gear is far less than the ebay ads, although IMO still way more than they were worth. Someone posted gut shots of one of their amps on DIYMA a couple years ago....looked like any other Asia buildhouse mass produced OEM product. IIRC they might have even identified what other amps used that same board, and they were not high dollar brands.

I'll take an Ethos over the UL any day.

I do, I won't be buying any multi-thousand dollar woofer.

I'll take an Ethos over the UL any day.

Ethos isn't MMAG. Not saying you shouldn't be happy with it, though.

There used to be some used UL's floating around on DIYMA, if I recall correctly there was a time you could grab one used for around $400 over there.

I have heard every driver they offer.  That being said, I will NEVER spend that kind of money on a driver that plays so little of the spectrum.  I just can't see it.  Of course, I am not an "audiophile" either, but then, anyone who brands themself so has some issues IMO.  Anyways, it's simple marketing.  Their stuff has some merit, but nothing that warrants even half of their retail.  The electrostats are just short of amazing, but I don't see their point in a vehicle.   My first introduction to them was the mid 90s when I went to a show and Shaq's van was there and he had something like fifteen 15s in that bitch walled off and a couple in a console he used for daily driving.  It was nuts.  They went out of business, ICON bought them and inflated the shit out of them and you have what you have now.