Dexter Chaos

Help W/Silk dome tweeter sound

So I have installed a set of Sundown-cs6.5 and running off a ppi 900.4  in my car and have found that the tweeters are almost too harsh. From what I have read this is a characteristic of this style. I have made adjustments to my current amplifier and have not found a way to help with this. Looking for advice on helping me tune these in. Or if there are other options  some help in a direction it would be appreciated. very new to this i have just been tuning with my ear. I also understand everyone hears differently before M5 starts bashing me for this.

go over the installation in detail. pictures would be useful if you cant describe speaker placement/aiming. 

Silk is not normally harsh...

Is there an Lpad on the crossover (ie can you lower the level)? Have you tried that?

Curious what you mean by harsh as well and at what level the harshness occurs (ie all volume settings or just wang away).

Im guessing your running active, try backing the gain down on the tweets some. Or playing with the HPF to get to your likings, Im guessing its either a tuning or placement/install issue.

What EQ is at your disposal? Try turning down 2.5k, 6k, 8k, and 12k if possible. Just go down one notch, little by little till you find where the problem is.

What EQ is at your disposal? Try turning down 2.5k, 6k, 8k, and 12k if possible. Just go down one notch, little by little till you find where the problem is.

i would try to correct the issue with attenuation like m5 suggested or with the aiming/location first before eq'ing it. though figuring out what range of frequencies are "hot" would be a good idea.  

Also, it may not be the tweeters.  The biggest problem with most component sets is that the passive crossover point typically lets frequencies play right through the point where the mid starts beaming and/or causes cone breakup.  That was the issue I found with the Bravox CS60K components in the Jimmy but it was so bad that no amount of EQ could smooth it out and the music still sound right.  They're doing great as dedicated midbasses crossed over at 300hz but I found through playing with crossover settings and such that anything above 800hz they started the ear splitting, almost screaming at me kind of problems.  Even though the frequency it was happening at was lower than most tweeters play at everyone I showed it to also thought it was the tweeters as well, it just sounded like a higher frequency.

There was an article on this problem in CA&E that explained the issue as to why it's the mid and not the tweeter in great detail.  I'll see if I can't hunt that up from somewhere.

A quick way to verify whether or not it's the tweeters that have an issue or the mids would be to disconnect the tweeters and listen for a period, then do the same with the mids disconnected and the tweets playing alone.  You'll find out real quick where the problem lies.

Also, it may not be the tweeters.  The biggest problem with most component sets is that the passive crossover point typically lets frequencies play right through the point where the mid starts beaming and/or causes cone breakup.  That was the issue I found with the Bravox CS60K components in the Jimmy but it was so bad that no amount of EQ could smooth it out and the music still sound right.  They're doing great as dedicated midbasses crossed over at 300hz but I found through playing with crossover settings and such that anything above 800hz they started the ear splitting, almost screaming at me kind of problems.  Even though the frequency it was happening at was lower than most tweeters play at everyone I showed it to also thought it was the tweeters as well, it just sounded like a higher frequency.

There was an article on this problem in CA&E that explained the issue as to why it's the mid and not the tweeter in great detail.  I'll see if I can't hunt that up from somewhere.

A quick way to verify whether or not it's the tweeters that have an issue or the mids would be to disconnect the tweeters and listen for a period, then do the same with the mids disconnected and the tweets playing alone.  You'll find out real quick where the problem lies.

Can confirm as I had this exact issue with my USD mid's. Swore it was my horns and kept trying to eq them until i listened to them by themselves and found out I had my mids crossed a bit to high to the 2200 range on accident and backed them down a bit to the 1200 range and it completely eliminated it. 

I've know let my ears do the tuning for me and listen to each speaker separately now through each part of a song.

ALWAYS listen to every driver independently. It is a great learning experience.

Im guessing your running active, try backing the gain down on the tweets some. Or playing with the HPF to get to your likings, Im guessing its either a tuning or placement/install issue.

i ran a channel to to crossover that came with the component set then that goes to the midbass driver and tweeter.

Those speakers do have adjustable tweeter settings on the crossover. Try changing the level and go from there

go over the installation in detail. pictures would be useful if you cant describe speaker placement/aiming. 

I will get some pictures today and post them. the 6.5speaker is in the front part of  door and the tweeter is mounted in the dash firing towards the windshield. but like i said i will get pictures and post them.

Silk is not normally harsh...

Is there an Lpad on the crossover (ie can you lower the level)? Have you tried that?

Curious what you mean by harsh as well and at what level the harshness occurs (ie all volume settings or just wang away).

not sure what you mean by Lpad?

there are different settings on the passive crossover that came with Component set.

it is ear piercing at higher volumes. I have been making adjustments mostly just turing gain down on amp and it seems to be helping.

my head unit only has 3 band parametric eq. Bass, mid, and treble

3 options per setting Q, wdth, and level

the passive crossover that came with the kit has settings on it as well

If you are aimed at the windshield you are going to get a lot of reflections. This may be one of the reasons for the harshness

ALWAYS listen to every driver independently. It is a great learning experience.

This is something I will work on and post what I find as well.

Currently it seems that most of my sound comes out of the tweeter and less through the midbass driver. but I will hopefully confirm this by trying each driver independently as advised from above.

try the lpad on the tweeter. there is a -3 db and -6db setting. try them both. the -6db will lower the tweeter's output the most. 

Although attenuation is a good move to start, I would get those tweeters off the damn dash. It will never make you happy.

Although attenuation is a good move to start, I would get those tweeters off the damn dash. It will never make you happy.

agreed. 

Op get some duct seal from a hardware store and play around with different locations and aiming. 

agreed. 

Op get some duct seal from a hardware store and play around with different locations and aiming. 

I will get them moved/pointed in another direction then.

Sure the mids are wired right? "Most" of the sound should NOT come through the tweeter.