Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Odd box and port shape

Ive never built a box that wasn't square all around so this is new to me.

I have an angled back plate, so if I angle the port a long with it, the bottom of the port is shorter in length than the top.

Which should make the tuning on one side of the port different then the other or how does that work?

How do I create a center port like this and have the tuning and airspace I require?

p1_zps9831bd49.jpg

p2_zps1435e21a.jpg

innerdimen_zps382931d0.jpg
These are interior dimensions.

I'm sure I'm over thinking this, but I want to stay as close to 13 cubes and 30hz as possible.

Honestly I'd just save your safe a headache and use an aero.

Not using an aero.. and I don't think there is enough space for an octoport.

But I could cut the back piece of the port at angle to where the whole port is the same length. But it would look a little strange.

edit: I just tested to see if two 4.5in sided octoports would work and it would have to make a bend.

Edited by SacredTanakh

How many subs?

IIRC, you don't want to have any uneven planes in the enclosure, at all. LOL. Example, if the top is angled, then you want the bottom angled the same degree. You may cause damage to your subs if you go the route you are going. 

How many subs?

IIRC, you don't want to have any uneven planes in the enclosure, at all. LOL. Example, if the top is angled, then you want the bottom angled the same degree. You may cause damage to your subs if you go the route you are going.

I've never heard it would be a problem to put an angle like that. That being said I'm going to do it anyway cause it's already built, and it's for 2 18s.

How many subs?

I've never heard it would be a problem to put an angle like that. That being said I'm going to do it anyway cause it's already built, and it's for 2 18s.

I believe it has something to do with how the subs are pressurizing the internal enclosure. I've seen it happen in person lol. 

How many subs?

I believe it has something to do with how the subs are pressurizing the internal enclosure. I've seen it happen in person lol.

Hmm well there are lots of ported wedge enclosures that do fine, so I don't see why it wouldn't on a larger scale.

i would think the port would only need to have the same cross-sectional area. shape shouldn't matter. so if you do some maths and make the rectangular section of the port have the same area as the rear section of the port (the part along the slanted portion of the wall is a parallelogram)  you'll be fine. 

this is why you use 45's in the corners for slot ports typically. 

i would think the port would only need to have the same cross-sectional area. shape shouldn't matter. so if you do some maths and make the rectangular section of the port have the same area as the rear section of the port (the part along the slanted portion of the wall is a parallelogram) you'll be fine.

this is why you use 45's in the corners for slot ports typically.

That's what I was thinking, I ended up making the port as shown above but double baffled with a slant on the back port so that both ends of the port are the same overall length.

Btw anybody know the easiest way to get a 2 70 pound 18s in a flush mounted wall haha?

Edited by SacredTanakh

shape of the box itself does not matter, in many ways having a uneven enclosure will aid in your build as it minimizes the accumulation of standing waves with int eh box. as for the port however you want it uniform. you will have different velocities with in the port space if you go with a port that is not symmetrical. i would seriously just use an aero port or build the port on a non angled section of hte box. alternatively you could build the port parallel with the angled section so as to have the port itself at an angle but being uniform in dimension and size.

Terminate the end of the port equal and opposite of the first port wall. For example if the top is 15 inches and the bottom is 10 inches then make the end of the port 5 inches shorter at the top causing the port end to be angled.

Or run a top port and dont worry about the side port. Unless its a meter only build who cares. A top port can do big numbers too and actually sound better to both listeners at the same time with both windows down

Sorry that I missed your posts, Ive been very busy recently.

shape of the box itself does not matter, in many ways having a uneven enclosure will aid in your build as it minimizes the accumulation of standing waves with int eh box. as for the port however you want it uniform. you will have different velocities with in the port space if you go with a port that is not symmetrical. i would seriously just use an aero port or build the port on a non angled section of hte box. alternatively you could build the port parallel with the angled section so as to have the port itself at an angle but being uniform in dimension and size.

From what I've read I would have to agree with this.

Terminate the end of the port equal and opposite of the first port wall. For example if the top is 15 inches and the bottom is 10 inches then make the end of the port 5 inches shorter at the top causing the port end to be angled.

Exactly what I did :) worked out well, both the top and bottom are 34.5in. Tuning came out to around 29.

Or run a top port and dont worry about the side port. Unless its a meter only build who cares. A top port can do big numbers too and actually sound better to both listeners at the same time with both windows down

Thanks for the input swift, I thought about doing a top port, would have been easier. But I ended up doing center.

C6174D5B-7438-4087-BA4A-F8EE90560DD4_zps

I'm not noticing any issues with the subs. The lows were not coming through at first (under 27) but as I started to seal up the top of the wall they got significantly better. my peak seams to be around 40hz. Once I seal up all the way around it I think it will get even better.

84E6DE9C-FF43-4806-9221-A7F108B32B04_zps