Sign in to follow this  
smashedz28

Quick polarity question

Wired my sub + to + - to - and took 1 + and 1 - out to the amp. Dual 2 ohm icon is the sub. I know I hooked it up like that on the speaker but completely forgot which wire was negative and positive lol. Rather not pull the sub at this point. 1. What is another method of figuring out what is what and 2. What kind of damage if any can come from this?

At the amp I'm reading exactly 1.0 no matter how I hook the probes up to it

Edited by smashedz28

Just hook them up and play at low volume, just loud enough to get them moving a little bit. Watch and listen, take note of sound level and do they appear to be moving in unison? Then swap the wires on one of the subs and do the exact same thing, should be a night and day difference. As long as you keep it down you shouldn't cause any mechanical damage when they are wired out of phase.

tap a battery to the wires.  + batter post  to + wire  and - battery post to - wire = sub moves out

Just hook them up and play at low volume, just loud enough to get them moving a little bit. Watch and listen, take note of sound level and do they appear to be moving in unison? Then swap the wires on one of the subs and do the exact same thing, should be a night and day difference. As long as you keep it down you shouldn't cause any mechanical damage when they are wired out of phase.

Single sub setup

tap a battery to the wires. + batter post to + wire and - battery post to - wire = sub moves out

You talking a 12v car battery? I used to use a little square 9v batterie but last I checked it doesn't move subs like these enough to tell

Oops, fail on my part. Too many + and - gotta get my eyes checked.

You will not damage anything, it's not even possible.

Try it both ways, leave it which ever way sounds the best when played with the rest of the system. Otherwise it honestly does not matter. All that matters is how it sounds. When it sounds best, then that's when it's wired in correct acoustic polarity.

Thank you. It's real hard to tell which one sounds best. I just switched it so I'll run it another week and see how it goes.

i was told to never use any battery larger than 1 or 1.5v when testing for phasing. using a 12V battery has a great potential to severely damage or blow the speaker.

i was told to never use any battery larger than 1 or 1.5v when testing for phasing. using a 12V battery has a great potential to severely damage or blow the speaker.

You've need told a lot of stuff.

google Ohm's law and then look up the discharge rate of a 9 volt battery.  

V^2/R = P

12^2/4 = 36w into a 4ohm speaker.

1V into a 4ohm speaker is .25w

I don't see that you have ever been told anything correct. Forget it all.

why not just pull the sub out and make sure you have it wired right? not a very hard thing to do.

why not just pull the sub out and make sure you have it wired right? not a very hard thing to do.

Bad speaker cutout. Also have pulled it twice already and screw holes will be blown out. Would have to rotate sub and logo would be crooked. Not a big deal seeing as I can't damage it either way. Enclosure is garbage. As of 2 days ago I took the entire thing out. In my car in my enclosures my 2 sa12s sound better than a single icon 12. Kinda figured just couldn't resist owning an ssa sub.