nadcicle

Pioneer USB disconnecting from bass

I am curious to see if anyone else runs in to this issue and what might resolve it. I currently run a Pioneer PRS80 after selling one and getting another one i've noticed this same issue with both decks. Once I go pass a certain volume on the deck the bass itself makes the USB seem to disconnect from the unit for a quick second. Cycling through the source options and choosing the USB after turning down the volume lets it play again. I've seen others using this deck in loud systems and I wanted to see if they had the same issue and what they might have done to resolve it. I've swapped USB extensions from the rear of the head unit from 1 to 2 and swapped the USB extension all together. I will be running a dedicated Ipod cable to find out if it does it to the Ipod individually, but in the mean time I just wanted to hear feedback of others in 150db+ vehicles. 

Could it be the iPod itself being disrupted? Sit on it so the seat and your rump can protect it, or use a long cable out of the vehicle. Could the source button be sensitive combined with a unique vibration in your dash? Maybe hold the hu in your hands while playing? Just tossing out random ideas as I have no experience with my 80prs doing this. I'm nowhere near 150db so can't say for sure.

Edited by hdrox88

It does it with any usb I plug in to unit. Jump drive, either ipod, either ipad. I've tried holding the headunit still, but I believe it to be just the massive shaking that keeps knocking it out. I'm tempted to solder external usb extensions directly to the board.

Have you tried pulling it out of the dash and physically holding it in your hands? Might let you know if it's the shaking/vibration or just the pressure alone that is doing it. Is building extra bracing in the dash an option?

Never held it in my hand, but i'm sure it'd help. Thing is, my entire dash flexes like mad. I'd have to put a stripper pole through the thing and weld it to the floorboard.

And this was with 1/4th the power and different system. 

Vibration sounds like the culprit, plain and simple. Get that fixed or toned down some and you should be A-1.

Or get a zip tie or something that can keep it in place, when the bass hits. Might be an eye sore if seen but will probably be your cheapest solution. Is there a way to lessen the vibration of the radio itself without doing so much to the car and dash. Like those brackets you used to hold your horns in place.

buy one of those really small ones those big bulky ones always rattle out on me. I bought a metal pny one that never rattles out.. 128 gig and is only about a quarter inch long

My friend actually superglued his usb drive in lol.

But he's doing 63s

It was definitely the USB extension. I really wish it was as easy as just popping something out and another one in, but i have to remove my entire dash each time. I removed my ipod cable from the extension and plugged it in directly and left the USB there and just changed spots in hopes that maybe it was just the slot. I put a zip tie between each as well before suggested and they seem to be working so far. lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys. This whole USB thing was killing me.

Well I know what to look out for now! Lol

I won't say that my results are typical because I know 2 people with 80prs' and they didn't have issues above 150db with the usb and one of them you know here on the forum "Swift". The 80prs has many issues with RCA's, but never anything i've heard about the USB. I should have taken my own advice and just gotten a higher quality USB to begin with and zip tied it then. 

Went the entire show this past weekend without so much of a hiccup from bass.

I won't say that my results are typical because I know 2 people with 80prs' and they didn't have issues above 150db with the usb and one of them you know here on the forum "Swift". The 80prs has many issues with RCA's, but never anything i've heard about the USB. I should have taken my own advice and just gotten a higher quality USB to begin with and zip tied it then. 

Went the entire show this past weekend without so much of a hiccup from bass.

so far mineine has been golden,best HU I've owned,but that's me upgrading from a pioneer 4900IB of 7 yrs lol

I'd have a tendency to reinforce my dash...but putting a band aid on like glue could help. I'd try something easily removable though like rubber cement first.

I'd have a tendency to reinforce my dash...but putting a band aid on like glue could help. I'd try something easily removable though like rubber cement first.

That was my thoughts. So that's why I grabbed the zip ties and put them together tightly. If I had to do it all over again I'd likely have just used this nexus 7 and some minidsp's. I know how much you love yours :)

My Nexus can be for sale. Ripped and ready to go.

Just bought a CarPC as I "need" to run EFILive in my dash....that and I have room for a 10.1" screen.

My Nexus can be for sale. Ripped and ready to go.

Just bought a CarPC as I "need" to run EFILive in my dash....that and I have room for a 10.1" screen.

Appreciate the offer, but I have a couple tablets on hand at all times. My biggest gripe is deciding which I wanna use. I know the nexus 7 opens up the otg options, but having a larger screen sounds good on the other hand. I don't know how much I need that 4g model if I have Hotspot and everything, but I guess it wouldn't be terrible either way.

20140714_134406_zpssftn1b6n.jpg

Ha. Tasker can allow an auto hot spot connection. Makes the need for paying for data go bye bye.

Ha. Tasker can allow an auto hot spot connection. Makes the need for paying for data go bye bye.

Agreed, I have a samsung phone and thought I might put the NFC that I never use to work as well. Would be nice to wave my phone when i want to start hotspot, connect bluetooth, and start something else. I see the possibilities being endless. Although I could say the same for a CarPC!

I have had the usb issue as well. I was suggested to use hot glue. I am currently without any equipment in my vehicle to verify as to whether it actually works or helps.

I have had the usb issue as well. I was suggested to use hot glue. I am currently without any equipment in my vehicle to verify as to whether it actually works or helps.

I can say without a doubt that zip tying the two together eliminated my problem completely. The ipod itself still goes offline, but that's because it uses a hard drive. I am going to get a foam compartment made for that though.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but why not use blutooth from your phone to the 80prs? Should blutooth not be used for extreme sound levels?

I'm nowhere near 150 yet but that's how I've been running my 80.

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question, but why not use blutooth from your phone to the 80prs? Should blutooth not be used for extreme sound levels?

I'm nowhere near 150 yet but that's how I've been running my 80.

I don't consider myself an extreme audiophile like some, but I dabble in quite a few loss-less files and bluetooth defeats the purpose of them all together. Not to mention Using an old ipod video and usb jump drives are tons more handy with jumping in and going than having to sync up every time. Plus I don't like taking calls on hands free at all. 

using the mini SD card option can solve this issue.

While lossless is rather pointless considering you can apply a rather large amount of compression without hearing a difference, bluetooth audio is pointless as well since it sounds so bad.