Sencheezy

SQ Demo Songs

So I'm looking for great demo songs to demonstrate the SQ installs out there! Songs that demonstrate depth, warmth, vocal isolation and instrumental detail. 

This one is one of my favs for checking to see how my tuning is coming along.

This is another one that frequents a tuning session. Nice warm, full sound.

Edited by hdrox88

That's exactly what I'm looking for. A few tunes to use for testing and making adjustments. 

Dire Straits, Money for nothing

Look up:

Hugh Masekel - Stimela (The Coal Train)

Nils Lofgren - Keith Dont Go

Diana Krall - Temptation

Jack Johnson - Escape (The Piña Colada Song)

Also try to get a hold of the Focal Demo Discs. The IASCA SQ disc is a good one to have and there are notes of it online describing what to listen for.

Welcome to the darkside, here is your cookie. :)

Dire Straits, Money for nothing

Excellent call. The guitar intro should make your ears bleed on a capable system. :D

Double post :/

Edited by onebadmonte

Something you are familiar with that is recorded WELL is better than something you are not. I also prefer music with "space" as the absence of sound is sometimes more informative than the sound itself. Live recordings can also be insightful, but there are so many that are badly recorded or produced it is hard. I am also a big fan of natural instruments as the more something is electronically manipulated the less tonality you intrinsically understand.

Journey - Faithfully is one of my favorites for demoing SQ stuff.

As Sean mentioned, the hardest part is finding something that was recorded worth a damn.  SO much music out there has been recorded badly and the better the SQ of the system is the more it shows up.  Another couple of really good SQ demoing songs are Diablo Rojo and Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela.  Those two do these songs with ONLY a pair of acoustic guitars and the recording quality is done quite well.

So far the WORST music I've heard that should be absolutely awesome to demo with is Imagine Dragons.  Their songs are great and would be awesome demo material but they're so horribly recorded it makes me cringe at the thought a producer would allow it out of the studio.

So far the WORST music I've heard that should be absolutely awesome to demo with is Imagine Dragons.  Their songs are great and would be awesome demo material but they're so horribly recorded it makes me cringe at the thought a producer would allow it out of the studio.

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I thought I had gotton a dud CD. A real shame. Opps, back to the topic at hand. :)

Another couple of really good SQ demoing songs are Diablo Rojo and Stairway to Heaven by Rodrigo y Gabriela.  Those two do these songs with ONLY a pair of acoustic guitars and the recording quality is done quite well.

I am a huge R y G fan. Awesome guitarists. That being said they have other tracks that do it for me more, but I carry all of their albums in my car.

Something you are familiar with that is recorded WELL is better than something you are not. I also prefer music with "space" as the absence of sound is sometimes more informative than the sound itself. Live recordings can also be insightful, but there are so many that are badly recorded or produced it is hard. I am also a big fan of natural instruments as the more something is electronically manipulated the less tonality you intrinsically understand.

Any suggestions?

Was giving Swift a demo today, for a song pretty commonly played on radio, and he was able to point out something I've never heard in the song prior. 37 minutes later and all my previous settings were changed just to chase down this note in the song. Oh boy, I can see where this is going.

That being said, I'm not sure if me listening to a familiar song will help much if I don't know what to listen for.

Any suggestions?

Was giving Swift a demo today, for a song pretty commonly played on radio, and he was able to point out something I've never heard in the song prior. 37 minutes later and all my previous settings were changed just to chase down this note in the song. Oh boy, I can see where this is going.

That being said, I'm not sure if me listening to a familiar song will help much if I don't know what to listen for.

I listen to jazz 80% of the time and it is exactly what I'd use. Pretty sure it won't help you. I don't demo for anyone other than myself either as I really don't give a shit if someone likes my car. For people that ask to hear it I let them provide music they like. I tune with what I listen to as well.

The real reality is no one gives a shit about a good recording or good sounding music if they don't like it. Also means if the person you demo to listen to shit or garbage it flat out won't matter.

There is another regrettable human trait. Whatever is louder is normally chosen as sounding better. Classic trick in HiFi shops to get you to buy the more expensive speaker. Obviously louder can't be all distorted and shitty, but you get the drift.

I typically use almost any song by Dead Can Dance, or Animals as Leaders. Their first album is bass heavy so I use later releases.

So I'm looking for great demo songs to demonstrate the SQ installs out there! Songs that demonstrate depth, warmth, vocal isolation and instrumental detail.

We were using the Sheffield Labs collection in my truck at finals.

I tried to give you a copy of my demo disc but you left ...

If you really want to tune for MECA, get their copy of the new judging disc or the Chesky Records collection.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Randal Johnson

Here is a few of my SQ songs, I usually find them in lossless and declip what I can before I use them.

Desperado - Eagles (Slightly slowed down you get very good bass and midbass out of a really great song)

Hotel California - Eagles (Nice kicks and overall a well balanced song)

Heart Shaped Box - Evanescense (Really really great midbass/midrange, nice sharp highs)

Iron - Woodkid (strong midbass, song has a great feel to it)

Lets Wait Awhile - Janet Jackson (Balanced, and one of my personal favorites)

My Immortal - Evanescense (Great song, I found the song to be permanently clipped, although you can get rid of most of it)

Motivation - Kelly Rowland (Slowed this song sounds great)

Young and Beautiful - Lana del Ray (I found the midbass/bass to be distracting, but the vocals are awesome)

Dance with the Devil - Immortal Technique (classic song, and in lossless doesn't show its age!)

Notorious Thugs - Bone Thugs N Harmony (Another classic that is very well balanced)

Save The Best For Last - Vanessa Williams (cheesy 80s love song, but sounds absolutely amazing in an SQ vehicle)