Randal Johnson

Randal's GMT400 "Phantom Dually" Build

There will be no Audio build with this truck at this time. Which is why I'm posting in this section.

Maybe Later we will throw a little something in there, but for now, the Phantom is the priority build.

Hope you guys enjoy our little backyard build. Thanks !!!

Edited by Randal Johnson

This is what they called a "Phantom Dually" back in the 90's.

A Static dropped (no Air Ride or Hydraulics) 1500 Series GMT400 with 3500 Series GMT400 Fat Rear Fenders & monster "Pro Street" style Rear Wheels and Tires.

Please Note: Random pics found on GOOGLE.

1994-chevrolet-ck1500-phantom-dually-1.j

721320185.jpg

This truck has a long wheel base bed where as my truck will be a Short Wheel Base bed and actual Dually Wheels and Tires from a 3500 Series GMT400 Truck.

Most I remember seeing were short wheel base trucks like mine. Should look Really Nice.

Edited by Randal Johnson

First step is to Static Drop it !!!

No need to buy another lowering kit, we are going to use the old Static 4/6 DJM drop kit from my old "White Lightning" Silverado.

image_url-43297-1379395584.jpg

Damn I miss this truck !!!

Edited by Randal Johnson

Got the bed off so we can mount up the old 6" DJM Flip Kit. This truck already has 2" lowering shackles.

gallery_5_7_43532.jpg

Don't have time to clean the frame for the notch at this time. What can I say, It's Easter Weekend. We do not drive this truck so it will be OK to sit on the snubbers temporarily. Not sure if we're going to stay with the simple 6" drop or prepare for a monster notch ???

Got these Goodies thanks to Mike at Hyper Lights !!!

Dually Conversion Kit !!!

gallery_5_7_35020.jpg

1500 Series 5 lug to a 3500 Series 8 lug GMT400 Conversion Kit.

Details when I get them.

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:23 AM, Randal Johnson said:

A Static dropped (no Air Ride or Hydraulics) 1500 Series GMT400 with 3500 Series GMT400 Fat Rear Fenders & monster "Pro Street" style Rear Wheels and Tires.

Something like this is what I would like for an "End Result" In my Dreams ... LOL

Again, Random pic found on GOOGLE search.

949bec0a146a9042671489fd7017deb9.jpg

But hey, it's possible. If I ever hit the lottery.

gallery_5_7_145830.jpg

gallery_5_7_99076.jpg

Not sure those 2" shackles will be able to stay. Most likely will be replaced with stock shackles.

DAMN, THOSE HUB KITS LOOK AWESOME !!! Too bad I can't permanently mount them at this time. ALOT of work to do !!!  

gallery_5_7_111910.jpg

We will get to work on the front suspension ASAP. Just set the stock wheels and bed back on until we can get back to work on the notch (after the front suspension is dropped). For now, Her ASS is closer to the ground 4 sure !!!

Edited by Randal Johnson

Tuned in. There's something I've always loved about the phantom dually's. There's actually one that got me into audio into the early 2000's 16 12s in a "Pac man" wall. It's still running around. Same setup as the first time I saw it. I saw it last summer for the first time in 10 years or so. Same owner. Still competing! I know no plans for audio for you yet. But I don't care. I dig the wide meats on the phantoms

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Tuned in. There's something I've always loved about the phantom dually's. There's actually one that got me into audio into the early 2000's 16 12s in a "Pac man" wall. It's still running around. Same setup as the first time I saw it. I saw it last summer for the first time in 10 years or so. Same owner. Still competing! I know no plans for audio for you yet. But I don't care. I dig the wide meats on the phantoms

I love that truck . See It at comps around my area sometimes

Tuned in . Should look really nice

Thanks Guys. 

Back then, I had a Black Single Cab SWB Truck. Converting it to a Phantom would not have looked good. Didn’t get White Lightning until 1997. Not sure why, but thoughts of a Phantom just never came up. She would have been sick as a Phantom. Damn I miss that truck !!!

The only reason why we are not working on an Audio System at this time is we want to stay focused on the Phantom setup. This is going to have a lot of metal cutting and fabricating, lowering, and Air Ride (front and rear). Gave serious thoughts about a double diamond tilt bed setup with this. You know, old school purposes !!!

8 hours ago, Travis said:

16 12s in a "Pac man" wall. It's still running around.

Oh yea, back then it was all about MAJOR cone area. Miss those days. Once seen a truck with 32 10s. Looked  Amazing !!!

8 hours ago, Travis said:

I dig the wide meats on the phantoms

I agree. Those wheel and tire Combo was expensive back then. Hate to see what they would cost now. The only thing I had was not having dual wheels meant to me that they weren’t actual dualy trucks. Sick looking none the less. 

My plans are to start out with stock dually Steel wheeels and work from there. I’d love at set of bad ass Alcoa wheels but don’t think they will be so easy to find used and don’t really have funds for new at this time. 

Think I will be ahead of the game here if I can find me a set of really nice fat fenders. Might be cheaper off by buying an ole one ton truck just to get parts. There’s plenty of them around here, just got to find exactly what I’m looking for so I can sell parts I don’t need to invest in the truck I’m working with.

Neat project. I have seen these trucks, but watching your build will help me understand how they get that look. :)

8 hours ago, frogcase2002 said:

I love that truck . See It at comps around my area sometimes

I figured you'd know it too. Dude that owns it looks like a mad scientist. It's crazy that it's been around this long. Awesome time capsule now.

The wheel game has changed so much in twenty years. It used to be cool to just run some 13x7 spokes. Now it's who can be the first to stuff 32's under a chevette. Might get lucky if there's any swap meets near you. There's a couple big ones near me. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, nem said:

Neat project. I have seen these trucks, but watching your build will help me understand how they get that look. :)

Should have the front suspension lowered this weekend. started on it this afternoon. But as always, I got called out.

Really missing my lowered mini right now.  Keep the build log coming.  Absolutely loving it man.  Looking good.

6 hours ago, nigel said:

Really missing my lowered mini right now.  Keep the build log coming.  Absolutely loving it man.  Looking good.

I had a Mazda B2000 back in the day. Memories ... 

Thank you Sir !!!

Sigh. Sadly sold my bagged ranger last year. I miss it dearly. I told the buyer if he ever decides to sell let me know first. My grandpa never got to see it before he passed. And instantly had sellers remorse.