Randal Johnson

Randal's GMT400 "Phantom Dually" Build

2 minutes ago, Travis said:

Sigh. Sadly sold my bagged ranger last year. I miss it dearly. I told the buyer if he ever decides to sell let me know first. My grandpa never got to see it before he passed. And instantly had sellers remorse.

I miss my White Lightning. Man could name his price and I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

Love that color bro, nice choice :fing34:

1 hour ago, Randal Johnson said:

I miss my White Lightning. Man could name his price and I would buy it back in a heartbeat.

I second that.

49 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

Love that color bro, nice choice :fing34:

Thank you Sir. It’s different for sure.

On 4/2/2018 at 12:22 AM, Randal Johnson said:

There will be no Audio build with this truck at this time. Which is why I'm posting in this section.

Maybe Later we will throw a little something in there, but for now, the Phantom is the priority build.

Hope you guys enjoy our little backyard build. Thanks !!!

A similar post wasn’t put up on another forum and the dreaded question got asked. What’s your plans for Audio ??? LOL

So my dumb ass wheels got to spinning and I thought about (since I have no problems cutting this truck) going with a full bodied HLCD setup integrated into the dash. 

My question is can someone get these any more ??? 

Please keep in mind this is just a thought and don’t want to get too deep with this at this time. Just seems like something cool to try out. What you guys think ???

I will snap some pics of my dash for you guys to help me come up with something cool.

You can always get anything from previous years...just not new, which of course means better deals anyway.  Can't say I think you are an HLCD guy, but at the same time I think it would be good for you.  Would force you to play more with the dsp which will make everything else you have sound better once you get comfortable with all that can be done.

Yes check out Stevens Audio on Facebook, Eric Stevens still makes the hlcds among other products as well.

Sean, Thank you. It seems to me (and yes, I’ve demo’d Vehicles with HLCD) that with installation limited to “under the dash” made tuning difficult. I’m thinking up top of the dash just under the windshield would make wonders in tuning. Especially with time alignment. Still don’t figure I would need a processor. I think my head unit should have no problems tuning HLCD. But if I need to upgrade while tuning, I have access to a Helix.

Edited by Randal Johnson

5 minutes ago, jcarter1885 said:

Yes check out Stevens Audio on Facebook, Eric Stevens still makes the hlcds among other products as well.

Dammit, Wish I had a Facebook. He’s the one that designed Image Dynamics products ?? Correct ?? I forget shit like this ...

Thank you Sir.

Yes he was, he split and keep the horns going. I want some under dash horns myself but just found out that I have under dash knee air bags, FTL.

Email is info@stevensaudio.com

310-869-4438

10 hours ago, Randal Johnson said:

Sean, Thank you. It seems to me (and yes, I’ve demo’d Vehicles with HLCD) that with installation limited to “under the dash” made tuning difficult. I’m thinking up top of the dash just under the windshield would make wonders in tuning. Especially with time alignment. Still don’t figure I would need a processor. I think my head unit should have no problems tuning HLCD. But if I need to upgrade while tuning, I have access to a Helix.

Plenty of things to tame on horns.  Possible a headunit has that power...but doubtful.   Either way you are absolutely right in that the install will help a ton, but the anomalies exist no matter the location.

14 hours ago, jcarter1885 said:

Yes he was, he split and keep the horns going. I want some under dash horns myself but just found out that I have under dash knee air bags, FTL.

Email is info@stevensaudio.com

310-869-4438

Thank you for the info. When I decide to move on this, first thing needs to be to rip my dash apart and see what will actually fit. Because actually if everything goes as I’m thinking, There will be an 8” driver directly under the HLCD. Should be interesting. 

5 hours ago, ///M5 said:

Plenty of things to tame on horns.  Possible a headunit has that power...but doubtful.   Either way you are absolutely right in that the install will help a ton, but the anomalies exist no matter the location.

Dammit !!! Wish I could start on this immediately, but the Phantom part needs to be done first and foremost. Thank you guys for the info !!! 

On ‎4‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, Randal Johnson said:

I will snap some pics of my dash for you guys to help me come up with something cool.

Ok, Went outside during the rain under the shed and snapped a couple of pics.

gallery_5_7_99284.jpggallery_5_7_72074.jpg

As you can see, this a almost complete stock truck. What I plan to do is take the dash completely apart and make it completely smooth. No air vents, gauges, controls, ect ... Then make cut outs for a HCLD and 8" driver on each side. Should be interesting. Hopefully going to a junk yard and find an extra dash or two to screw up on. LOL

Having trouble finding the fenders I need for this project. But I’m working on it. Just wish I could find me a nice set of fenders before I cut anything. 

any progress at all?

Got new shocks (front and rear) for it and got them installed this past weekend.

Nice to hear you're still working on it.  Keep up the work.

Wish I had time to work on my projects. 

Loving the truck Randal! Always super cool to see a father-son build on here. 

Keep the pics coming! :fing34:

Thought of you when I seen these. Figured you might get a laugh if nothing else. :DNo automatic alt text available.

If that is a panned monophonic setup then it may actually sound good.  If not, well then LAUGH.

12 hours ago, j-roadtatts said:

Thought of you when I seen these. Figured you might get a laugh if nothing else. :DNo automatic alt text available.

12 hours ago, ///M5 said:

If that is a panned monophonic setup then it may actually sound good.  If not, well then LAUGH.

WOW !!! That's Insane !!! Thanks for posting Guys !!!