Sign in to follow this  
smoke05

screws

well i have heard in opther forums that you guys dont include screws for the mounting of the dubwoofer... so is this true? and if this is the case which kind of screws should i use... thanks

who does include screws?

Some people use the anchors..some just use wood screws. Predrill first..

Let me get the size for you as thats the standard size most use..

dont use T-nuts with MDF, it's a disaster waiting to happen

so what do u suggest on using ?

anything special ? or just good old screws

The T nuts were what i was talking about with the anchors. Many many people use them without a problem on MDF. I prefer to use Wood Screws. But with a t nut, you can removed them and put them back in 100 times with no damage to the wood

so what do u suggest on using ?

anything special ? or just good old screws

just drywall screws like you used to put the box together

the problem with T-nuts in MDF is that they like to strip out so it's very difficult to remove your sub at a later date

I have always used 1 5/8 inch coarse drywall screws, just make sure you don't tighten them soo much that you strip the wood apart.

I will be looking into doing something different, but haven't found a product that will work as i wan it to.

I've always used coarse wood screws, and no matter how many times I remove the sub I've never messed up the wood. Just make sure when putting in screws like that you set the clutch on your drill to somewhere between 1 and 3 (depending on drill), and I've never had one strip out-just pull nice and tight. :fing34:

LOL I use 2 1/2" decking screws before...........worked well but i am going to heed these men's opinions and go coarse drywall next time.

J

who does include screws?

Some people use the anchors..some just use wood screws. Predrill first..

Let me get the size for you as thats the standard size most use..

tc sounds includes screws (at least on their 5200's)... nice ones as well. (hex heads, with a hex wrench) just kinda a nice touch... not really needed, though

Edited by visitor

I like #10 1 5/8" Deck screws.

The larger diameter makes them hold better. You MUST predrill!

doest it matter if the screw goes tru the mdf (all the way)?

I've seen some people say that the screw should go all the way through and to use a screw that is at least 1/2" longer than the thickness of the baffle.

So for a 1" baffle, use at least a 1.5" long screw.

Make sure you predrill all the way through so the MDF doesn't split on the backside.

I will repeat. EZ Locks are a way better solution.

I personally like threaded inserts and machine screws.

one of the best screws i used are from lowes. i think they are called phillips II. They have some special threaded bit that matches the threades inside the phillips screw. They are decking screws, and they are guaranteed never to strip, snap, or rust. I think they are a little more expensive than ordinary drywall screws, but i think it is worth the extra $. Hope that helps! B)

Sign in to follow this