Fi Car Audio

Some pics of the lines...

okay so to sum up what scott said,

FI = SPL

AA = SQ?

Maybe, if you're ignorant.

nG

maybe. just maybe, thats why i used a question mark. :Doh:

No, I don't plan on use it that high, but I've found that smooth response out to ~2 octaves above Fc is a crucial factor in whether or not I'll think a subwoofer is any good in a high-resolution home audio system; assume an 80Hz Fc, and that puts you out to 360Hz.

Jesus...do you even use crossovers?

Did you read the post you quoted? "Fc" stands for "crossover frequency," so I'm discussing a sub in the context of an 80Hz crossover. My receiver, a Panasonic XR55, happens to have a 2nd order slope if memory holds. But a crossover isn't a brick wall, remember. It's a slope, and there's considerable overlap even with a 3rd or 4th order crossover. So sub anomalies in the octave or two above the nominal passband are definitely audible.

I don't know that the "Fc+2 octaves" thing is a very good rule. It, along with a few other things (low inductance that's linear with excursion is another that is too rarely discussed) is something that I've come to realize is important. At least at home. In a car it doesn't so much matter, because boundary issues so thoroughly dominate a car's sonic signature in the 150-300Hz octave.

Edited by DS-21

I buy 6 of everything!

:woot:

Errrmmm ... Arsenal still using the XBL^2 or any other driver using that?? IIRC only CSS sub and mids are using them now.

Nope, we aren't using xbl^2 in any of the lineup.

Thanks!

-Nick

Any time table on the poly 6.5's??? I have a set and I'm waiting for enough to do MTM's across the front of my HT. I also have a buddy looking who wants them.

in regard to Adire and the XBL^2 technology. They could have 5000 OEM speakers that all use it but there's a confidentiality thing there. Adire can't release any of the names and the companies don't have to admit they're using their technology in the motors.

I haven't heard of anyone buying the rights to the technology, so even though they may be closing their doors i'm sure they will still be offering the technology to other OEM companies. Who doesn't like residual income?

I haven't heard of anyone buying the rights to the technology, so even though they may be closing their doors i'm sure they will still be offering the technology to other OEM companies. Who doesn't like residual income?

very true

Hey Scott, I was wondering, could you give me an idea of the differences in the new production run of Havoc 18s compared to the two Havoc 18s I bought directly from AA a few months ago? Besides cosmetics obviously.

Edited by Duke

http://www.adireaudio.com/

does any of that really matter anymore now that adire is no more.

And anyway, I want to know when I can order AA.

Yes it does. Read the 2nd last thread

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread....mp;pagenumber=2

The patent is own by Dan and David not Adire.

Well, not to be an ass but. I really don't care about all that, I used to kind of keep up with the goings on over at Adire, but never really tried to fully understand. To me looks like bad business, bad luck and a dead horse that has been beaten over and over to no end. And I think that it's time to close the book on that part of car/home audio history and let it be. But I'm sure we haven't heard the last of ol' Dan Wiggins, but I don't claim to know to much about the whole deal, it just looks like everybody got a raw deal.

Trust me guys, if the new Havocs are better than, or anything like the "prototypes" 18s I have, then it will be WELL WORTH the wait. B)

duke, ur dancing around, and playing mind games with my head..... shame shame..

o well, i can wait =] :horse:

Well, I don't really know anything other than my Havoc 18s are rated at 1500 rms, have 25 xmax, and a double stacked magnet. The new ones have lower rms, higher exmax, and a triple magnet.

I built those few 18s towards the end of the run of original Havocs. Solid subs, but they are geared a little different than the new ones. I hope they dont disappoint, but they sound better to me. I have yet to try them with a real SPL setup though (since they arent designed for it) Different coil, stronger motor, more overall linearity, new tooled curvilinear cone (new cone compound that will make its way into all of my drivers too) with full dustcap. And what I have considered for many years the look of understated elegance (with a healthy splash of "kick to the b@lls") ;)

Those that have tried them have been very impressed so far (both friend and dealer alike).

Thanks,

Scott

I built those few 18s towards the end of the run of original Havocs. Solid subs, but they are geared a little different than the new ones. I hope they dont disappoint, but they sound better to me. I have yet to try them with a real SPL setup though (since they arent designed for it) Different coil, stronger motor, more overall linearity, new tooled curvilinear cone (new cone compound that will make its way into all of my drivers too) with full dustcap. And what I have considered for many years the look of understated elegance (with a healthy splash of "kick to the b@lls") ;)

Those that have tried them have been very impressed so far (both friend and dealer alike).

Thanks,

Scott

I know a lot of people have asked, but can you shoot us some price ranges, and estimated arrivals of the products to the public? Thanks man, keep up the good work!

Andrew

anyone know the depth of the havoc 12? and volume requirement, need to see if I can fit it, before I go waiting on these

thanks

Not new cones really... just a new material for the cone body. Its a different formula that is a little lighter and a good amount more rigid than the current stuff (which is damn stiff as it is).

Havoc12 D2 is right at 7" deep. Ive got one of the protos in 1.8 cuft tuned to 32Hz and it works really well in that. The 12 works in smaller ported enclosures. Ill see if I can get some specs up tonight for the Havoc line (seems more interest in them so far from the net crowd).

Thanks,

Scott

Not new cones really... just a new material for the cone body. Its a different formula that is a little lighter and a good amount more rigid than the current stuff (which is damn stiff as it is).

Havoc12 D2 is right at 7" deep. Ive got one of the protos in 1.8 cuft tuned to 32Hz and it works really well in that. The 12 works in smaller ported enclosures. Ill see if I can get some specs up tonight for the Havoc line (seems more interest in them so far from the net crowd).

Thanks,

Scott

More specs for the havoc would be great.