sundownz

8 inch woofer?

anything new on these?

Just waiting on an update on if they have shipped or not.

Still waiting... my freight company rep advised me that it *may* be on the way now but they have to double check.

looks interesting. i've been looking for some 8"s to run ib in my build.

do you still need help on the packaging? i would definitely be willing to help out on it.

thats cool. if you would like something for later runs let me know. i have plenty of spare time and design is something i actually enjoy doing (and am good at if i do say so myself ;)) so the offer is open.

*laughs*

Not yet :)

Once they get here and I get final, broken-in, TS posted I'll open the intro sale ordering.

if i remember correctly, the same basket as the proto is being used just in black rather than chrome. do you happen to have the total outside diameter of the sub and mounting hole size for this model nailed down yet? i'm doing mounting rings for the doors as we speak since 2 of these babies will be midbass in my front doors.

if i remember correctly, the same basket as the proto is being used just in black rather than chrome. do you happen to have the total outside diameter of the sub and mounting hole size for this model nailed down yet? i'm doing mounting rings for the doors as we speak since 2 of these babies will be midbass in my front doors.

OD = 8 5/16"

Cut Out = 7"

What is going to be the price on these?

MSRP around 100 dollars.

I'll have an intro sale for ~65 shipped when they come in.

ETA = May 17 - 20th to arrive at the Charlotte port

Maybe a week or so in customs... so around the end of May.

The final specs will look more like this:

Re = 3.37 ohms

Fs = 34.9 hz

Qes = 0.5323

Qms = 6.93

Qts = 0.4943

Vas = 7.6 L

BL = 13.3 N/A

Mms = 127.7 grams

Cms = 162 um/N

Sealed Box:

0.280 ft^3 w/ F3 of 50 Hz (Qtc = 0.707)

Ported Box:

0.60 ft^3 tuned to 30 Hz

F3 of 25 Hz

So, what changed?

Only one thing - the suspension got tighter. I *hated* the original surround... while it met the Cms goals it was just terrible. It was soft, mushy, and I couldn't stand it. So, I moved to a thicker surround and it literally cut the VAS from 21.2 L to 7.6 L and boosted the Qts from 0.30 to 0.49 total. Granted, this driver WILL break in more and it will lower the Qts and raise the VAS over time. It's pretty stiff so that could take weeks of listening.

So, how is the sound? I auditioned it ported and loved it. To be frank, I'll probably run four of these daily, ported, as the first setup in the VW for subs. The extension is sick vented for an 8" driver - don't let the Qts scare you it sounds quite good, even vented, due to the linear motor (very linear for an overhung). For sealed the changes actually yielded MORE low-end response!

I played it in the trunk of my Civic (when I still had it) and I felt that it kept up pretty well with the Kicker SS component set in output off the rear channels of an SAX-100.4 - it wasn't staggering, but I enjoyed it. I imagine in a hatch like my new VW and with several of them it will be quite enjoyable even to those who like more bass.

For production I used a spider with more excursion potential than the measured proto - and it may also take longer to break in. I was happy with the sound / excursion with the current spider but wanted the end user to get more for their money so I found one with larger rolls and more travel capacity :)

So... anyone who wants to pre-order these can do so whenever they feel like it. I will continue to run the intro sale for a few weeks after they come in, so no hurry - but if the money is burning a hole in your pocket - order away!

Paypal $65 each to sundownz@sundownaudio.com for one driver.

If you want FOUR of them then send over $240 and they are yours (60 each).

If you want EIGHT of them then send over $440 and they are yours (55 each).

Prices are shipped in the continental USA.

hmmm... i've been doing my homework but for some reason t/s numbers don't really click for me. it seems like the changes made should make this a nice ib 8" canidate. correct?

hmmm... i've been doing my homework but for some reason t/s numbers don't really click for me. it seems like the changes made should make this a nice ib 8" canidate. correct?

It would do well IB, sure. I have a few people planning these for midbass.

Also sealed or ported work great.

what about the Xmax and the SPL sensitivity please... any info?

Wondering if the RMS remained the same @ 200w

Lastly, voice coil configuration? Dual 4 and Dual 2?

Edited by subwoofery

what about the Xmax and the SPL sensitivity please... any info?

Xmax is same as listed earlier @ 12mm one-way by 70% BL.

SPL sensitivity is on the low side at around 80 dB with 1 watt. Trade-offs were made to get more low-end at the expense of sensitivity.

For instance... the Tang-Band 8 has 84 dB sensitivity but has an F3 of 70 Hz sealed. The E8 has 80 dB but an F3 of 50 Hz sealed. Output comes out really close to one another when power is applied in the actual sub-bass realm. The E8 has excellent cooling so will not suffer as much thermal compression with added power either.

As Sean demonstrated in his CRX test he was cable of over 140 dB with a single E8, so there is much more to the picture than the SPL sensitivity rating and the on-paper specs :)

VC will be single 4 ohm, also, as listed earlier.

4 off of a sundown saz1500D @ 1 ohm acceptable? sending them 1600?

suggestions on box size sealed and ported as well as frequency you like them tuned too.

im going to sell my idmax12

didnt like it at all.

4 off of a sundown saz1500D @ 1 ohm acceptable? sending them 1600?

suggestions on box size sealed and ported as well as frequency you like them tuned too.

im going to sell my idmax12

didnt like it at all.

As listed above:

Ported Box:

0.60 ft^3 tuned to 30 Hz

F3 of 25 Hz

Sealed Box:

0.280 ft^3 w/ F3 of 50 Hz (Qtc = 0.707)

Don't be nuts with it and four on the 1500D will work just fine. It's a fairly beefy 2" diameter copper coil with good cooling, but not invincible :) Sean has been running a 400-watt amp on his prototype daily so, using common sense, it can be done without issues.