sundownz

8 inch woofer?

Some other photos, this proto has the motor black:

E8_Back.jpg

E8_Cone.jpg

E8_Side.jpg

The production model will have the basket black as well.

I am trying to figure out my final costs on shipping and import duties... once I get that nailed down I'll be able to release exact pricing details. As I've said before we are looking at an MSRP under $100 and a pre-order at a really good price :)

Not sure if I posted before... but Sean (ibanender) did pull 143.1 dB in his CRX with one of these on the SAZ-2000D prototype running 4 ohms. This was in a small 4th order band-pass that he does listen to daily.

So... SPL potential exists, but my main goal was a very good sounding 8" driver that works in a tiny box. I tested the proto daily in my Civic in a small vented box for a while before I traded the Civic in and was quite pleased with it.

I am trying to figure out my final costs on shipping and import duties... once I get that nailed down I'll be able to release exact pricing details. As I've said before we are looking at an MSRP under $100 and a pre-order at a really good price :)

You do realize that with such a good pre-sale price I'll be forced to buy one... or two

Guest zedman

I could use a few for the wifes car. :-)

Okay, production started! I'll post up when I decide to start a pre-order.

I'm thinking around $65 shipped in the 48 states for a pre-order. How does that sound to everyone?

sounds like a damn good price to me

Good price that would be good for a little s10.

That wouldn't be a bad idea my dads b-day is comin up i might get him some. I htink i have some boxes they would fit into also

Are the parameters of the final driver the same as page 1?

What other drivers does this compare to?

I know this is a little apples to oranges but how do they compare to the SD-1's? Any similarities between the 2? (I have experience with them so this is why I'm asking).

excel in what sort of environment?

If these things can get up into the 100-200 range like you stated in the first post they may be just perfect for a stereo sub setup for my laptop. :woot:

Sorry for all the questions. Got me excited :D

1) The parameters are different. I didn't make any changes to the motor or coil since then but I gave it a stiffer surround as the original surround was just mushy and I hated it... that raised the Qts to the mid 0.4s and the Fs to the 30s. The VAS also decreased so the enclosure requirements and response are actually pretty similar. Since the only one I have "final" was assembled by me and I am not as accurate with glue (extra mass) my measurements won't be dead on. I'll get exact, broken in, specs when the drivers come in.

2) I'd say it would compare well to the Tang-Band 8" but with more low-end output, especially sealed. It also has better thermal power handling due to having basket windows and a directly vented gap. With Sean's help we did burps on it with 800 watts and he still runs the proto daily with around 400-watts in a tiny bandpass box.

3) They are not similar to the SD-1 by design. I did spend alot of time in FEA with this motor, I'm very pleased with it.

4) They will pretty easily reach 100 - 200 Hz, perhaps as high as 500 Hz inductance-wise but there are probably dust-cap breakups around that area.

any chance you could edit the first post with all the necessary info? i'm sure we'll be getting a lot of repeat questions.

any chance you could edit the first post with all the necessary info? i'm sure we'll be getting a lot of repeat questions.

Good idea -- done and done.

That wouldn't be a bad idea my dads b-day is comin up i might get him some. I htink i have some boxes they would fit into also

My Dad is excited, I have a vented box for the pair for his Chevy 1500 -- behind the seats.

yeah, sorry if my questions were repeats. I was on my way out to class at the time and was typing what was on the top of my head.

For my application I will be looking for the speaker to pick up at 120HZ and than play down are far as it can from there.

That, of course is enclosure dependent so only testing will tell.