brent338

eD 13Av.2 Subwoofer

It sounds to me like KSlice works for eD.

Nope, in no way, shape or form. I have 1 ED product i use in my car atm....a Nine.1, and soon to be 13av.2 as well.

prsonally i'd rtather buy from a reputable company and i'd save my money and get a Fi Q or an AA Havoc...

both 15" versions are cheaper than the 13" eDuh!

but it sounds like you have your heart set on the av2...you should at least consider

Not trying to defend anyone. (never had an eD product)

Stealing ideas is part of the industry (Nick might correct me on that lol)

You see a good idea, you either use it (patent to be paid) or go around it.

- MTX stealing Kicker's square subs idea

- Memphis and JL Audio stealing Alpine's stackable amp idea

- JL Audio stealing Image Dynamics' Ultralong voice coil idea

Only really good companies still try to find ideas on their own.

prsonally i'd rtather buy from a reputable company and i'd save my money and get a Fi Q or an AA Havoc...

both 15" versions are cheaper than the 13" eDuh!

but it sounds like you have your heart set on the av2...you should at least consider

Ive owned a Fi BL 12 but ended up selling it 2 weeks ago. Good driver but the SQ wasnt where i wanted it. I love Fi products and would of gotten a 15 Q or perhaps an ICON 15 if i didnt go with the Av.2 but the price was a great deal. Also the 13av.2 is cheaper then then a Fi Q 15 because I got in on the "1st 25 pre order" price which was significantly lower then retail. The next 200 after the 1st 25 went for $295, and the 1st 25 went for less then that. Also they will be signed by the guys at ED.

well if the price is right i'd say go for it...

i didn't knwo you had a pre-order...i was going to say for the price you could have good performers i nthe price range

let us know if this sub lives up to all the hype

well if the price is right i'd say go for it...

i didn't knwo you had a pre-order...i was going to say for the price you could have good performers i nthe price range

let us know if this sub lives up to all the hype

Ill be sure to a give a review. Good or bad im not going to be bias. Another reason i wanted to go with the Av.2 is that it yields a smaller enclosure even though its prob going to have to be braced and double baffled due to the driver weighing close to 60lbs. Id prefer a box < 3cuft over that of a 15" driver that requires 4cuft or greater.

ill chime in. from my personal experience in purchasing,

1. 3 years ago, i pre-ordered ordered a bundle: ED 6000 comps (or something like that) and a 9.2 amplifier). decided didnt want the comps so they only charged me 150 for the amp which was the bundle cost. that was cool.

2. Ordered 3 eu 700's on pre-order just fine

the 9.2 amplifier was solid no complaints there. and the eu's worked lol

but my beef with them comes with his ungodly amount of censorship in his forum. you speak up against any of his products, and he bans you. It seems only brown-nosers are allowed.

more beef: eD is like the freakin apple of the online 12v world. Mediocre products with marketing up the wazoo. i also dislike apple, but lets not stray off course.

I believe this sums up my feelings on eD:

edeaddh1.jpg

oh yea that reminds me. i forgot about my edead experience. pretty much the same thing except it was on the lid of my trunk. the whole freakin lid just fell off in one piece.

but my beef with them comes with his ungodly amount of censorship in his forum. you speak up against any of his products, and he bans you. It seems only brown-nosers are allowed.

Ive seen that as well and i agree with you. Sometimes though its usually some guy trolling their forums or just trying to start something with Ben, but other times its just honest criticism and they get posts deleted or banned etc. Usually this will occur in the ED specific forums but not in the general discussion section of the forums. Either way i agree and dont like it but its their forum.

I believe this sums up my feelings on eD:

edeaddh1.jpg

Rofl! Damn thats bad. Was that the old eDead before they went to Butyl? Ive never seen anything like that in my deading experience so far.

As far as their products i think they are good for the price. They make budget oriented SQ subs that perform well. Are there better drivers out there? Of course, but for the money i still think their stuff is a great deal if you arent going with a full blown high end competition car, and just wanna upgrade your stock drivers...etc. Not like they are charging an arm and a leg for their products.

After watching this for a bit, I feel I should chime in.

1. Recovering from a 15 year tenure in the foodservice world, I can say that it is a known fact that people are 100's of times more likely to speak up about a bad experience. This is a purely indisputable, universal customer service fact. I don't care what anyone says. Knowing this, I am sure that the bad experiences people have had with eD can't even come close to the good experiences.

2. Ben is a tool. The other guys he has working for him are awesome. I also should say that Lucio Proni is a tool and Lloyd Ivey is also a tool as are a whole bunch of people I have encountered in the car audio circle since ~1990. I still buy their products.

3. I have on multiple times proclaimed my eD 13ov.2 to sound like absolute trash in anything but a non-recommended vented box and still have not been banned from ICIX.

4. So far, the eD products I have owned have all worked OK. They are not exceptional though. Recently, I had some mechanical noise issues with some 9kv.2s that I have been running. They are in the RMA pipes now (I will likely base any future opinion I have on eD on the outcome of this situation).

I will not be purchasing a 13av.2 simply because I have no use for a uber-high excursion, mounting-depth-almost-as-deep-as-it-is-wide, 55 pound boat anchor. Not because of anything eD business realated or because some people on the intrawebz cry about them. I simply think the idea is effin' dumb and unneccesary in the 12 volt world. Unfortunately, this stupid ugly subwoofer will probably make or break eD's future. Ben has pretty much had to ignore any other new product developement because of his colossal waste of "engineering" time or legal defense or whatever drama of the 13av.2. This, IMO, is what is currently pissing people off the most. As for me, whether or not I ever purchase another eD product will likely be based on their service on my warranty issue.

One thing I have noticed: People on many forums seem to be almost supportive of the TC Sounds debacle (I know, rumors blah blah). I wonder if people here will talk about Thilo in the same way as Ben Milne when it turns out he has probable shady business practices and makes promises he can't keep too.

People are already talking about Thilo like that...just not the newbs who are unfamiliar with some of the "history."

I think the main difference between TC Sounds and ED is that TC makes a VERY solid product. That's not to say their products aren't prone to the occasional design flaw(aluminum cones cracking where the cone meets the surround) however TC addressed this issues promptly and took care of thier customers. I myself had a very positive experience with TC's customer sercvice, I will spare you the details, but they took VERY good care of me. That being said they do certainly seem to have issues responding to customers in a timely fashion. I'm sure this is due to overwhelming sales/productivity, which I feel is to be expected from any company that is used to producing for manufaturers then decides to start selling to the public. This is what happened when they started selling thier products directly online...they got burried...now they're back to selling exclusively to dealers...they simply couldn't keep up. Whether it was a business miscalculation, or as someone stated "shady business tactics", who's to say. As much as I love TC products I will not be buying any Audiopulse products simply because I don't want to deal with dealer mark-up or dealer return policies. If/when I am in the market for another sub I will be looking to SoundSplinter, superb product(TC supplied I believe) and superior customer service. Mike really seems tom be "on the ball". I am curious about the 13Av.2 performance though...I have owned Audiomobile Mass drivers before and they were underhung designs and I really did dig the SQ they were capable of...I wonder if EDs underhung design follows suit.

Edited by nstaln

i love TC products but after the failure of my TC-1000 in their recommended enclosure with the power i had...and they refused to warranty it, i would never buy another one of their products...the cone literally ripped itself apart! i wouldn't mind having one of the LMS, 3 or 4 HPs or any of their higher end stuff but i wouldn't invest my money again

what's the deal with TC nowadays? heard some rumors about them being broke(not to get OT here)

I don't honestly believe that TC or SoundSplinter will be around for much longer, unless Mike decides to go with a different buildhouse. But we shall see and I hope I'm proven wrong.

I don't honestly believe that TC or SoundSplinter will be around for much longer, unless Mike decides to go with a different buildhouse. But we shall see and I hope I'm proven wrong.

i'm not questioning your knowledge whatsoever but what leads you to believe this? i haven't heard much about TC at all in recent times except about their choice to sell AP on PE....they seem to make a good product and have a reputation of making and designing some phenomenal subwoofers in the past

there customer service towards me definitely turned me off...try to make me pay for a re-cone because the cone failed and ripped apart like a pop can!

I have owned Audiomobile Mass drivers before and they were underhung designs and I really did dig the SQ they were capable of...

Exactly, so you were around during the Overpeck time :D

My professional installation career was in its infantcy when I first heard of Audiomobile(1998). At the time I didn't know too much about audio in general, fortunately by best friend and "mentor" of sorts was a First Class MECP installer and IASCA judge so I was quickly and properly educated on matters of electronics, physics, and acoustics as they pertain to mobile electronics. Having a SatCom background from the Army and a natural fascination for car audio(I grew up in San Diego in the 80s when the car audio BOOM first hit and I was instantly addicted) this field came pretty naturally. I soon got really interested in the mechanics and physics involved in subwoofers and enclosure building. I read an article reviewing the Mass 12dvc and at the time it was being hailed as the "best" subwoofer on the market period. I had a chance to play around with one that one of our local customers bought and I(along with everyone else in my shop) was absolutely amazed. I had never heard bass that clean before. This was along the same time when Kicker first introduced its L7 subs and everyone thought they were the $hit. They had nothing on the Mass driver. It wasn't until a few years later that I had the kind of audio setup and $$ to go after my own Mass...but the company had gone under by that point. Doing some research to try to find a couple used drivers led me to several forums all with rather unflattering things to say about Matt Overpeck. I never delt with him myself but he seemed to gain himself quite a reputation. It was my search for Audiomobile info that led me to TC Sounds several years back. I don't know any "back story" about Mr Overpeck and/or Thilo other than they(together or individually) have been responsible for the best drivers I have personally ever heard. I wish I had the cash to get my hands on and LMS sytle driver(TC Sounds LMS, Audiopulse LMS Ultra, SoundSplinter RL-S, Eclipse LMT). I currently have a TC Sounds TC3000 15 and I must say it is quite a woofer. I'll post pics in another thread.

Edited by nstaln

I hope Mike stays. I believe he is held up because the build house is moving. There are RL-i's on the way I think.

They do, in fact, charge people during pre-order although the basis on which they do so seems to be hit or miss. Aside from documented proof of this on previous pre-orders, there was someone on AVSForum just a day or two ago who was charged when he pre-ordered the 13.av2 and called them up to cancel his pre-order and receive a refund when the release date got pushed back again. He was told they would be available sometime in March.

Being that I am the one and ONLY person at Elemental Designs that has access to charge anything for anyone, here is my only post on this message board.

Not a single person was charged for that speaker before last Monday. Credit cards were reauthorized on Saturday to make sure there were no issues with the charges but every single person who selected to pay with a credit card through our site was not charged until 2/11.

IF someone chose to pay via Paypal, rather than use their credit card online, it was their choice to send us money via that system. WE had absolutely no say in whether or not they'd send us the money, it was a decision they made. That's like saying we charged someone because they sent us an envelope full of cash. Yeah, they gave us money, but it was their choice, not ours.

Please get your facts straight before posting something like this. Due to your association with an audio news site, I would think you would try to get your facts straight especially when posting something like this. I understand that there are posts that you make personally and posts that you make on audiojunkies, but really, you shouldn't try to spread misinformation as fact. Would it be too difficult to confirm all the information about something before posting it online? Especially something that would be as readily available as that?

You are 100% correct in stating that there are posts I make on SSA and then there's what I do on AudioJunkies. I'm not required to hold any standard here or anywhere else except for AudioJunkies. Thanks, though.

Someone from eD coming to tell me to avoid posting misinformation is comical at its best.

I cited my source; go find the post I referred to and ask them.