SpeakerBoy

Back pack speakers

no we dont have a dj at lunch. we had one for one day while we were selling homecoming tickets thats it.

well, i personally think we could use a bit more music at school. but thats just me.

yes, let's turn school into a party. I'm sure that'll get the US higher on those worldwide education ratings........

Ok, let's make it more boring and prison like so more kids drop out. At least then the good ones will stay in and make the system look good.

Doesn't bother me, I need someone to shine my shoes as well.

Toughen up, if you can't hack school and don't want to work at it get ready to have to work menial jobs for your soon to be Chinese boss. The world won't wait for you and the average American is QUICKLY falling behind the rest of the world. And now our economy is following along. For all you young ones, now is the time to choose. Do you want to work for peanuts, live in a small apartment, never have more spending money than you do now or potentially get an education and a job that will allow you to do all sorts of things with your time. That motivation kept me going from about 2nd grade on.

i might be only 17 myself, but some people need to seriously grow up and realize that the world does not revolve around them and that their mom wont support them for the rest of their lives, so grow up and take charge of your own life, or fall like the rest of society is right now, even i realized that

i might be only 17 myself, but some people need to seriously grow up and realize that the world does not revolve around them and that their mom wont support them for the rest of their lives, so grow up and take charge of your own life, or fall like the rest of society is right now, even i realized that

:+1:

Maybe there is hope for the younger generation if there are more of you.

no we dont have a dj at lunch. we had one for one day while we were selling homecoming tickets thats it.

well, i personally think we could use a bit more music at school. but thats just me.

yes, let's turn school into a party. I'm sure that'll get the US higher on those worldwide education ratings........

Ok, let's make it more boring and prison like so more kids drop out. At least then the good ones will stay in and make the system look good.

Toughen up, if you can't hack school and don't want to work at it get ready to have to work menial jobs for your soon to be Chinese boss. The world won't wait for you and the average American is QUICKLY falling behind the rest of the world. And now our economy is following along. For all you young ones, now is the time to choose. Do you want to work for peanuts, live in a small apartment, never have more spending money than you do now or potentially get an education and a job that will allow you to do all sorts of things with your time. That motivation kept me going from about 2nd grade on.

It's not always the fault of the people that "can't hack it", there are plenty that want to succeed but are hindered by the ever failing, increasingly underfunded system.

Maybe there is hope for the younger generation if there are more of you.

thanks, but sadly, its so true

School sucks ass. It is underfunded, teachers work hard for no pay, students work hard for straight C's because the system could give a f**k if they suceed, as long as they show up. (i believe the only reason the schools implement such strict rules as per attendance, is because they get paid a bit more if more students show up!)

School sucks ass. It is underfunded, teachers work hard for no pay, students work hard for straight C's because the system could give a f**k if they suceed, as long as they show up. (i believe the only reason the schools implement such strict rules as per attendance, is because they get paid a bit more if more students show up!)

No, they implement attendance rules because there is a direct relationship between those actually in the classroom and those who succeed. I highly, highly doubt that kids get Cs because the system doesn't care if they succeed. You get Cs by not trying hard enough. The system is set in place, it's up to the student as to what level they achieve. Are there students getting As at your school? Hmm, I bet so. What makes them different? Aren't they at the same underfunded school? Believe me, I was actually in high school not too long ago. Walk around the halls and take a look at the kids who get As and the kids who get Cs and Ds. HUGE discrepency in types of kids in those two groups. Namely discipline.

I guarantee that home life has a larger impact on a student's success than anything the school does. Plus if you succeed in a crappy high school, say get top certain percent (maybe 5 or something), you get a scholarship to a university. Once you're in college, high school doesn't matter anymore.

It's not always the fault of the people that "can't hack it", there are plenty that want to succeed but are hindered by the ever failing, increasingly underfunded system.

Underfunded my ass. As an example here in MN, public school costs more to run than all bet the best private school. Worse education, way more spending. The problem is the funding it is how the funding is spent. Capitalist checks and balances would REALLY help our school system, throwing more money at them the way they are will just waste money.

Underfunded my ass. As an example here in MN, public school costs more to run than all bet the best private school. Worse education, way more spending. The problem is the funding it is how the funding is spent. Capitalist checks and balances would REALLY help our school system, throwing more money at them the way they are will just waste money.

Well I was on the right track, replace under funding with poor accounting and you still get the same result, one example being larger classes.

Here in town they closed down the old middle school and pushed the kids into the high school which was already pretty full so they now have a temp building set up and I believe they took over administration office space as well (not sure on that) which is hardly ideal.

The thing I hate is when schools use money because if they don't, they'll lose the extra funding next year. So they do something totally facetious and essentially waste the money, taking it away from other schools in the state that may actually need it for more fundamental needs. We need a better system that is not solely based on the previous year's spending and weighs needs for the upcoming year much more heavily.

Maybe if we got rid of all the damn illegal aliens and then cut out welfare and the useless people on it, there'd be more funding for public schools.

I really don't believe it is a funding problem, just an efficiency problem. The bigger our government gets the worse it gets at everything. First step is to cut the red tape.

We need to give choice back to the parents, right now teachers unions want no competition and you paying taxes for it which allows them to teach at sub par levels, create school vouchers giving parents the choice of school which equal more competition for public schools. Also get rid of the department of education no where in the constitution does it the word "education" come up, bring it back to the state and local level, the more money we put into education the worse it gets,In 2000 the DoE budget was $33 billion, currently it is $64 billion, has it improved at all? Not in my eyes. It's our responsibility to determine what is best for our kids, not the federal government

Interesting turn in the topic. I thought high school physics and SAT math for 2 years, and my mother has been college professor and high school teacher for over 30 years, so I have the other side of the perspective as many people posting in this thread. Crying about funding is not the problem. It all starts at home with the parents. The inner city schools are getting mountains and mountains of funding, both from the state and federal level. Now, look at the productivity, grades, and testing scores of these heavily funded inner city schools compared to public schools out in the counties where the teachers are paid much less, and the schools are provided much less funding over all. I do not want to get into this because the teacher is the guiding and instructional force and need to be held accountable, but if there is no drive from with in by the student and little to no support and assistance in the home by the parents and the family, it is pointless.

Back home (very small town in southwestern VA, poorest county in VA last i checked) There was a case where the county schools had an amount of money they had to spend. The man in charge (won't give names) was under a lot of heat to distribute the money fairly (an even distribution wouldn't suffice..bla bla bla)

if i remember correctly it was over 10grand, and he spent it on a new desk. Apparently it was very nice though. And no this isn't a hearsay, i knew the guy. Thank god for funding!!!!

Interesting turn in the topic. I thought high school physics and SAT math for 2 years, and my mother has been college professor and high school teacher for over 30 years, so I have the other side of the perspective as many people posting in this thread. Crying about funding is not the problem. It all starts at home with the parents. The inner city schools are getting mountains and mountains of funding, both from the state and federal level. Now, look at the productivity, grades, and testing scores of these heavily funded inner city schools compared to public schools out in the counties where the teachers are paid much less, and the schools are provided much less funding over all. I do not want to get into this because the teacher is the guiding and instructional force and need to be held accountable, but if there is no drive from with in by the student and little to no support and assistance in the home by the parents and the family, it is pointless.

Yep, I had the same viewpoint but just in slightly fewer words.

true dat about it startin at home..

I went to private school, true my schools graduating populous was about 98%, after that 10% couldn't afford college, 10%-15% more probably dropped out of college, i would hate to see the statistics for public schools.

But honestly i see how many can fall into the trap, im sure we've all scene the commercial, where the guy is goin in cirlces saying i can't get a job because i have no skills, i don't have any skills cuz i didn't go to school, i didn't goto school because i didn't have any money, i dont have any money cuz i dont have a job...ect it's sooo true.

the only reason my gf is still in school now is because of student loans, and im sorry to say that sometimes a good education doesn't guarantee you a good job or a job period...well lets not say good job, lets say a substantial funding institution.. But on the other hand it does offer you a better opportunity to make something out of your life..

But whatever you do be the best at it. My.02

I agree completely that the desire to succeed needs to come from the kids parents, without this it will be impossible for our school systems to turn around. With the way things are currently it is impossible for the teachers to be accountable as they have no choice in their destiny. Giving them the motivation that the rest of our country has in their jobs would make sense though, but I don't see us privatizing our whole education system anytime soon. One thing is for sure though, throwing more money at the institutions is not at all the cure.

true dat about it startin at home..

I went to private school, true my schools graduating populous was about 98%, after that 10% couldn't afford college, 10%-15% more probably dropped out of college, i would hate to see the statistics for public schools.

But honestly i see how many can fall into the trap, im sure we've all scene the commercial, where the guy is goin in cirlces saying i can't get a job because i have no skills, i don't have any skills cuz i didn't go to school, i didn't goto school because i didn't have any money, i dont have any money cuz i dont have a job...ect it's sooo true.

the only reason my gf is still in school now is because of student loans, and im sorry to say that sometimes a good education doesn't guarantee you a good job or a job period...well lets not say good job, lets say a substantial funding institution.. But on the other hand it does offer you a better opportunity to make something out of your life..

But whatever you do be the best at it. My.02

I think there are many misconceptions about college. Many think it's only for rich kids or whatever. False. Rich kids actually get penalized for being rich. If you fill out a FAFSA form, one of the things on there is to list how much money your parents make. If they make a lot, you won't get as much or any financial aid. The system is set up to help poorer familes get a child into college. Also, kids may just not know about scholarships. There are a TON of them out there. The university you choose will give you a lot of money if you have good grades in high school, have a good ACT/SAT score, and/or graduate in the top couple percent in your class (there's another kick in the butt to get young people motivated in high school). Student loans aren't the worst thing in the world, either. If you aren't a jackoff during college and actually have a part time job (even just during the summer like I had for a couple years) instead of getting plastered every night and running your debt up higher, student loans can be very reasonable after graduation even if you only manage a mediocre job right out of the gate.

Second thing about college is that lots of people come out of there without the ability to get a job and wonder why. Hmm, maybe it's because you graduated with 4000 other kids who got a psychology degree from your ONE school? How many across the country do you think that is? Many majors are nearly worthless in the real world outside of university research. If you do get a psychology, communications, sports management, etc. degree. you will almost HAVE to go to graduate school and get a masters or PhD to separate yourself from the thousands of others just like you. But if you get an engineering degree you can basically get a job the instant the diploma is handed to you. I graduated with a degree in Geology, one of I think 3 people at the entire University of Kansas that got it that year. I got a job offer from the first place I applied.

With that last paragraph said, it is still important to do what you like, obviously. But you have to realize the facts about your major. It may take more work in your college years to get a degree in electrical engineering, but it may take a lot more work years after college to succeed with a psychology degree.

and im sorry to say that sometimes a good education doesn't guarantee you a good job or a job period...well lets not say good job, lets say a substantial funding institution.. But on the other hand it does offer you a better opportunity to make something out of your life..

Nothing is guaranteed in life except death. The goal of an education was never to guarantee you a good job, but to earn you the potential to get one. You still have to try son.

i think teachers should be paid as much as judges. maybe then.... maybe....