mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

The gf and I were headed to my grandparents' farm this weekend to help with corn harvest and so I could show her the way of farm life (she's from just outside of D.C.). We had just turned off I-70 and onto a two-lane highway when some DICKHEAD threw a bottle out of his truck window right as we were going by each other and it smashed into my gf's windshield and completely broke it. It skidded up the hood about a foot before hitting the windshield. With two things going 65 mph at each other, it doesn't take much mass to cause damage. I wasn't looking at the time, I was looking down at my phone when I heard a loud thud. I thought she hit a bird or something, then I look up and there's a 12" diameter circular break in the windshield with 40 cracks going out every direction from it all the way to the edges. I'm like WTF just happened. She was so freaked out I'm surprised she was able to keep the car on the road and come to a stop. Luckily it didn't break through the windshield, as its trajectory had it lining up nearly with my neck. But some glass pieces did fall inside onto the dash and you could move the windshield about a centimeter pushing on the circular break before I stopped testing it for fear of actually shattering it.

We were able to limp it the next hour back to my hometown, as we were out in the middle of nowhere with only towns of 20-200 people anywhere close. It was definitely not legal to drive, but we didn't want to tow that far. So now she has up to a $500 repair bill for a new windshield and maybe new hood paint if it doesn't just buff out, since that's her deductable. The dude kept driving as if nothing happened so we have no idea who it was. Of course when we told my family members about it, most of them said they would have turned around and chased the guy to at least get his license tag number. But she was freaking out so I was trying to calm her down and find out what even happened since I didn't see any of it. And if he's a redneck on a rampage like that, who knows how many guns he has in the truck and what lengths he'd go to anyways.

Just really, really sucks that there's assholes like that in this world. Her car has to stay 3 hours away at my mom's house because nobody had a windshield for it in stock and they couldnt' get one till Tuesday. Luckily my stepmom loaned us her car for a couple days so that we could get back here and do our work or school. So huge inconvenience having to drive back there to get it, on top of the money. Just stupid.

Crazy, That sucks to say the least, i too would have chased the person down. Some people are so inconsiderate and assholes.

Sorry to hear, hope everything works out.

I scored 129 points in Fantasy Football and am STILL going to loose AGAIN. This is twice I've scored around 130 and lost.

Starting the season 0-5 :suicide-santa:

Trav, want to stack your team with my guys? not like you need that anyways... lol

I was looking through all the rankings today and your team is STACKED!

I scored 129 points in Fantasy Football and am STILL going to loose AGAIN. This is twice I've scored around 130 and lost.

Starting the season 0-5 :suicide-santa:

Same here. My team blows.

Wow you are the Bills eh?

J

On an up note yesterday I purchased some of the prettiest king crab legs I've ever seen.

~11 pounds worth.

:)

Wonder from where :P

Hopefully they will make you feel better.

Byerlys had the half off sale. It was 10 bucks a pound for honestly, the nicest looking king I've seen.

If you want to hate me more, go buy one Bristol Bay leg from you know where and compare.

Of course, I'd still love what you have :) What time should I be over?

:D

Anytime! I'm always ready for crabby crabs.

these clusters look better than the king I got from coastal last time. They are definately bigger. I can't wait to dig in!

And don't get smaller than a large.

I'd actually like a small, but exclusively for high temp cooking. I figure it would heat really fast and require almost no fuel. Build it into the center of a table and have the best Yakiniku setup eVar.

That's an awesome idea... but if I could only have one.....

They are amazing. With the control of a stoker to regulate heat it's like have another oven.

It makes the best pizza and smokes meat in a way that is just amazing. I can really tell the difference when doing butts. I use a realy thick rub with lots of brown sugar, and when I chop/pull the pork it almost becomes it's own sauce. The bark is wonderfull the smoke penitrates so well and it keeps the moisture in.

Me and my wife realy think of it as one of the best INVESTMENTS not purchases but INVESTMENTS we have made. I've easily paid for it in what I saved vs going out for BBQ. For the winter when we remodeled and didn't have anything to cook on but the BGE for 2-3 months it was awesome.

I can't wait to start trying pizza and bread on it.

I'm sorry and you're welcome.

I noticed a contradiction. I said it makes the best pizza, and that I can't wait to try pizza. What I meant is it turns pre made pizza into magic, and I can't wait to try with my own crust.

The wife keeps wanting me to buy the XL now. I did 3 spare rib racks on the large and it was a real PITA to stack them last night. They became a bit too tender though. People called and showed up an hour and a half late so they spent extra time braising after the smoke.

The flavor was absolutely one of the best though. I made a sauce with some HOT BBQ premade plum wine and ginger and some apple cider vinegar. It was OHM NOM!

You can also sear steaks at surface of the sun temps. I've had mine easily at 800 degrees and probably a fair bit more. Temp gauge didn't read.

I melted the edges of gasket material that is stable to 1750 deg F. :P

I'll bring the crab you bring the gasket!

Amusingly I paid <$50 for this: http://www.amazon.com/Mauviel-Kasserolle-Mh%C3%A9ritage-Cuprinox-Saucepan/dp/B000RPUJLS/ref=sr_1_124?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1286595659&sr=1-124 its about time Amazon started carrying real pans :) Actually have no idea what I paid, but I do know that for 5 sauce pans, lids, and 3 frying pans it was less than that one pan :)

There isn't an emote on this site that looks as envious as I need currently.

My lowly cast iron will have to do.

*rubs eyes*

woke up kind of worried I had studied zilch for this giant math exam today

then I realized that the "hardest" thing on the test will be logarithms and just laughed

ugh...sore...

Cast is good for low and slow and for when you need heat and don't have a stove that can maintain. Otherwise copper is your friend.

My cast pans make a great indoor sear for steaks. I can't even imagine those copper beasts.

Sean what would you reccomend for a grill under say 700?

I already have 'decent' pans and knifes. I need more though.

J

I know what he is going to say. Up the price 50$ and buy a BGE.

Yup me too.

I saw them with a $50 gift cert if you buy one at a local place. Or some deal similar.

I really gotta take my hat off to you guys. To put on such a show, and take time to give back to charity is astonishing.

I always try to go to ANYTHING for charity. Even if its shit that I hate. Haunts on the other hand.............make my day.

J

Thanks J. We love to give back in any way we can. You are welcome to see what is going on anytime you get close to the area.

If I can get out there next year I plan on coming through.

I just watched Paranormal Activity last night. Quite good as it scared me for a bit. :)

That movie was a fucking joke. I laughed more than anything, and didnt even jump, just got startled one time.

With any luck the 2nd one is better.

J

Thing for me was that the girl, though not stellar, was cute with a nice figure and was in her pajama's enough to distract. ;)

I can agree with this.

Can never have too much scared cute-ish PJ wearing chicks.

J

Scary cute T0P

J

FUCK "As is" vehicles. Tranny is about blown, rod came loose in engine. Time to get a lawyer

On the EVO?

yep, happened on wednesday...the reverse pops out so thats the tranny. The dealership i had take a look at it is scared to even start it due to the knocking noise in the engine. the powersteering went out on the highway coming home from school whenever i would downshift/ or go into neutral. Its all fucked up and words cant explain how frustrated i am at this point.

Ouch. I hope you can get it sorted from the seller

Saturday is almost over. Bought and butchered a pig today for this year's supply of pork. 300 pounds of pork barely fit into the cargo area of the jeep :D

300 pounds? Some big ass pig then..

300# of meat? Damn that was a big piggy. We never let them get that big, but the packer that ours went to the best price was in that 250-280 range I think.

I have been asked to smoke a whole pig for a house warming.... I'm a little intimidated actually. They aparently have the big rig tow smoker and a ghuy to give them a deal on a pig, but the guy who rents the smoker and butchers the pig will charge a few hundred to smoke, pull and chop it. So they asked me.

I would really really want to run a trial run first, but it's not an option. It can't be too hard, but I've never done it.

Saturday is almost over. Bought and butchered a pig today for this year's supply of pork. 300 pounds of pork barely fit into the cargo area of the jeep :D

300# of meat? Damn that was a big piggy. We never let them get that big, but the packer that ours went to the best price was in that 250-280 range I think.

I have been asked to smoke a whole pig for a house warming.... I'm a little intimidated actually. They aparently have the big rig tow smoker and a ghuy to give them a deal on a pig, but the guy who rents the smoker and butchers the pig will charge a few hundred to smoke, pull and chop it. So they asked me.

I would really really want to run a trial run first, but it's not an option. It can't be too hard, but I've never done it.

I have a good gut feelign you will be fine. Personally I would ask to use said smoker at least once ahead of time to see how well it operates, and how efficent it is.

Lack of prior planning and knowledge can tank this QUICK.

J

ON1002312_1648.jpg

I heard something about a Ravens fan...

I will quote that just for good taste.

Re-quote!!!!!!

They are amazing. With the control of a stoker to regulate heat it's like have another oven.

It makes the best pizza and smokes meat in a way that is just amazing. I can really tell the difference when doing butts. I use a realy thick rub with lots of brown sugar, and when I chop/pull the pork it almost becomes it's own sauce. The bark is wonderfull the smoke penitrates so well and it keeps the moisture in.

Me and my wife realy think of it as one of the best INVESTMENTS not purchases but INVESTMENTS we have made. I've easily paid for it in what I saved vs going out for BBQ. For the winter when we remodeled and didn't have anything to cook on but the BGE for 2-3 months it was awesome.

I can't wait to start trying pizza and bread on it.

I'm sorry and you're welcome.

I noticed a contradiction. I said it makes the best pizza, and that I can't wait to try pizza. What I meant is it turns pre made pizza into magic, and I can't wait to try with my own crust.

The wife keeps wanting me to buy the XL now. I did 3 spare rib racks on the large and it was a real PITA to stack them last night. They became a bit too tender though. People called and showed up an hour and a half late so they spent extra time braising after the smoke.

The flavor was absolutely one of the best though. I made a sauce with some HOT BBQ premade plum wine and ginger and some apple cider vinegar. It was OHM NOM!

Going to do some ribs for the Vikes game tonight myself :)

Cast is good for low and slow and for when you need heat and don't have a stove that can maintain. Otherwise copper is your friend.

My cast pans make a great indoor sear for steaks. I can't even imagine those copper beasts.

Sear is not more capable, but if you want to stop searing it just takes you to turn the dial down. With Cast if you are searing you are searing. Can't do both, with copper you can do it in either order.

A temperature controller would really help :P

A temperature controller would really help :P

We had Nerstrand meats cater our wedding. They did the pig really well and were cheap :)