mrray13

Welcome to the IHoP

Germans usually shy away from Zapco, so if one pops on ebay Germany, it's going to be cheap.

Why dont they lije Zapco?

They aren't designed/made in Germany, duh. Their German.

I'm trying to determine If I'll need a line driver, I don't think it would hurt but Not sure it would help. I will be running the 4 1500s.. so not sure... advice? I have 4v outputs from my Pioneer.

I'm trying to determine If I'll need a line driver, I don't think it would hurt but Not sure it would help. I will be running the 4 1500s.. so not sure... advice? I have 4v outputs from my Pioneer.

I have one, but is is a six channel. I think you will be fine with out one using sundown amps.

579564_10150721223508486_161761118485_9334364_233617189_n.jpg

Seems a little big on her?

Almost like a step?

BIG REAR TOP!

I'm going to need a line driver as well.

Just not sure if I'll need 3 channels (5 if you separate L/R) or if a single will work

Output of the Droid at 0dB is ~ 0.9Vrms. Input of the miniDSP is conveniently the same...however, I need to split the signal into two of them. Leaving me with .45V. At this point I am going to try a single PPI. They require .28V to clip with the gains maxed. ie, with a -3dB tone and no line driver I'll be out of steam. With a line driver on the output of the Droid I'll have ~4-5dB of room if things match theoretically.

And if there is noise with the gains maxed (expected), I guess I'll need one.

As for you Julian, pretty easy to figure out. Figure out the lowest voltage the Sundown requires to clip and make sure you have 4x that coming out of your headunit at the level that corresponds to the headroom you need for the music you have.

I personally don't want one to make a point. I thoroughly despise the overuse for no apparent reason of line drivers. It's akin to the SMD distortion detector rip off in general. Definitely a time and place and I'm pretty sure I'll need one but :(.

I may cheat and use 3 gain blocks instead. A passive pot that is splash resistant is better on a boat anyways and the more budget friendly the better. Of course if it's cheaper to just buy a line driver I'd be dumb not to.

I'd place the damn miniDSP order right now, but am questioning one very simple thing.

Why wouldn't you buy the Advanced version? Seems like the basic + biquad flexibility. I don't plan to use it, but if there are no other subtractions with that plug in I don't see why I wouldn't buy it.

Output of the Droid at 0dB is ~ 0.9Vrms. Input of the miniDSP is conveniently the same...however, I need to split the signal into two of them. Leaving me with .45V. At this point I am going to try a single PPI. They require .28V to clip with the gains maxed. ie, with a -3dB tone and no line driver I'll be out of steam. With a line driver on the output of the Droid I'll have ~4-5dB of room if things match theoretically.

If you are using the headphone output from the Droid, you will definitely need some kind of boost. when plugging my old Droid into my car I was always thankful that my H701/C701 had a lot of head room because I really needed it.

And when you find their manual it sort of answers the same question as well.

:Doh:

<--hates reading manuals

If you are using the headphone output from the Droid, you will definitely need some kind of boost. when plugging my old Droid into my car I was always thankful that my H701/C701 had a lot of head room because I really needed it.

My phone measures okay. Maxes out the input of the miniDSP. If the amps can do their job it won't be a problem...although I am dubious.

579564_10150721223508486_161761118485_9334364_233617189_n.jpg

its shopped

Germans usually shy away from Zapco, so if one pops on ebay Germany, it's going to be cheap.

Das es ser gut! So what is their go to first few choices?

Probably.

Last evening I was sniping out broken amps for a friend. A decent 3kw Hifonics went for ~$200 and a DD M3, which is still a Korean amp, slightly better than the Hifonics, went for nearly double. Some brand names command a price in Germany and thankfully Zapco isn't one :)

One downfall with the minidsp. 0.9vrms input (2.5v peak) and the same with the output. You need an amp that the gains can be pegged and not be noisy or you'll need a line driver. If you use it instead of a headunit you'll either need an on/off relay to prevent amplifier pops or to buy theirs for $11 or whatever it is.

Amplifier pop prevention is simple, a power on delay relay is very simple to build smile.png

I will consider the pricing when it will be time. miniDSP 2-way plugin has 12 bands of L/R PEQ, Zapco has 10.

If I can get the miniDSP + an old Zapco AG350 for about the same as a DC Ref 350.2, then I will get the miniDSP.

Indeed, simple, but theirs includes a power conditioner/noise removal circuit as well and is about $10. I'd spend more than $10 in time choosing components to slap one together myself and delay my project a few weeks.I

I'll let you know if it is all what it is cracked up to be. Hope so as it will let me run headunitless which in the boat (actually anything mobile) is perfect.

If I need a line driver, Exile has one that is sort of neat. Sub volume, boat volume and fader between in boat and tower. (or F/B if you will). I imagine that there is a car audio equivalent though, but considering it's been more than 10 years since I've needed a line driver I wouldn't know. Hopefully I don't, If not, I am just going to use some IP67 pots on the rca's and run the droid at full non-clip throttle to the miniDSP.

I'm curious what you think. Oh yeah, if you want to play with the Zapco software, I've got the latest version.

Definitely too big.

I should slap you.