chad y

(Misconceptions??)

I have noticed as of late that allot of people feel they need 3000+ watts. OK I admit I would love to have a saz 3000d or 2 or 3(lol) but I also understand that I don't have the electrical to run one let alone more than one. I think allot of newer people see big numbers and think if I get that I can do this. what they fail to realize is what it takes to to properly run at these levels.

now don't get me wrong I am by no means as knowledgeable as I would like to be, But I am willing to learn and have learned a great deal from this forum. For that I would like to say thanks.

I guess what I am getting at is. I have done and have heard systems that sounded great, got quite loud and were well under 1000 watts.

I am all for high wattage systems I love seeing them, making my ears bleed(lol) I would just like the newer people to know if you want to go big be prepared to spend the money to do so properly.

just my little rant.......lol

Chad

Most of the people who want SPL and feel they need 3000+ watts will get beat out by someone with knowledge and 200w. That amuses the shit out of me,.

Most of the people who want SPL and feel they need 3000+ watts will get beat out by someone with knowledge and 200w. That amuses the chit out of me,.

been there, done that and still laughing about it.

^Truth, one of my buds with a single 10" on somewhere around 300-500 Watts was louder than another friend of mine with 3 Kicker CVR 12's.

The wattage in my home audio setup comes to a grand total of 150W at full tilt (which I rarely, if ever reach) 25x2 on my main speakers and 100W on my 10" sub. Plenty loud for me and plenty loud to shake the room.

My biggest concern is those who want to run 3000+ watts then turn around and tell you they are on a budget. If you are on a low budget with 3000 watts you will spend more money fixing your car then you will spend on the equipment

My last little excerpt. I ran a 12" Kicker L7 on ~700 watts for a summer and my ears were starting to hurt and have problems just from that summer. I can't imagine the damage these people are doing to there ears with 3K+

great thread!

i agree 100% with all the statements above!

i had a kx1200.1 and one 08 model L7 12 and was just a lil quieter than this kid with two L7 15s and a picasso 2000d. now in running it on a ZX200.2 because its all i had and its still hits good but the box i built is a big part of it.

i was at a comp a while back had a single 12in boston g5 with a bazooka 300wrms amp and took second with a 140 i even beat a guy using a 12in solox with a kicker zx2500 on it he only hit a 138.xx

Here are a few I have noticed:

#1 RMS ratings have something to do with how much power a driver needs

#2 It needs more power because it is rated to handle more power

#3 "Give it XXX clean watts and it will be ok".... lol, love that one

#4 This woofer doesn't follow the T/S parameter rules

#5 Smaller boxes are louder

#6 18s are slow

#7 You need to buy $5 a foot 1/0 cause' it looks cool....

Blah Blah Blah....

#6 18s are slow

Those are my pet peeves :bigclap:

I'm there with you.

EVERY sub is underrated, apparently. they'll all take twice as much as the manufacturer recommends in any box. "I have a friend with a 3000 watt amp on that funky pup and it takes it all day."

People that don't know what model any of the equipment is or any of the true technical specifications, and just base everything on the GIANT max power rating on the box or the actual item. "yo, i got two 1200 watt kenwood amps and 4 15" xplodes that are 800 watts, gonna get me 4 300 watt 6x9's and 4 150watt horns on the rear deck"

it absolutely drives me BONKERS. i love busting their chops though

People that don't know what model any of the equipment is or any of the true technical specifications, and just base everything on the GIANT max power rating on the box or the actual item. "yo, i got two 1200 watt kenwood amps and 4 15" xplodes that are 800 watts, gonna get me 4 300 watt 6x9's and 4 150watt horns on the rear deck"

The "yo" actually gave enough away.

The "yo" actually gave enough away.

haha i needed to put it there, couldn't help myself

i am a Misconception

:bigclap:

The need for line drivers maybe ?

BTL18.jpg

My favorite is still the smaller boxes are louder...

Here is the much debated BTL 18 (old specs)...

The 2 plots show an SPL alignment, tuned at 50Hz. The red line, mostly covered is 5ft3. The light blue line is 10ft3. The gain is almost 3db at the peak just above 50Hz.

#1 RMS ratings have something to do with how much power a driver needs

#2 It needs more power because it is rated to handle more power

#3 "Give it XXX clean watts and it will be ok".... lol, love that one

#4 This woofer doesn't follow the T/S parameter rules

#5 Smaller boxes are louder

#6 18s are slow

Blah Blah Blah....

I love that one aswell!!

i am a Misconception

Haha or was it missed-contraception?

I think it is/was,........was I misconceived (sp) :lol:

J/K

Perhaps not the right thread, but I'd like the true story on capacitors; are they needed, are they not? When do you need a second battery (or whatver a batt clip is)?

Edited by dlink

My last little excerpt. I ran a 12" Kicker L7 on ~700 watts for a summer and my ears were starting to hurt and have problems just from that summer. I can't imagine the damage these people are doing to there ears with 3K+

I think it has more to do with the sub than the power. I'm running about 2500 to a Critical Mass UL12, and it sounds great, and doesn't hurt at all, but my friend has 1500 to 2 L7's and they hurt alot more, and were barely louder.

isnt that (in theory) like from 1000 watts to 3000 watts about a 6dB gain?:

Perhaps not the right thread, but I'd like the true story on capacitors; are they needed, are they not? When do you need a second battery (or whatver a batt clip is)?

A search will give you your answer; however, I will add here that there is a misconception that Capacitors cure your voltage woes. This they do not.

Another misconception, Hifonics amps are worth buying. So many confused souls. :(

isnt that (in theory) like from 1000 watts to 3000 watts about a 6dB gain?:

Close, but theoretically not even. 1000w to 2000w = 3dB gain, 2000w to 4000w = 3dB gain. However, the dB scale is logarithmic so that is way more than it sounds. I guess you now realize why some of us laugh when people compare buying a 700w amp to a 1kW amp, or better yet a 75w vs 100w front stage amp. So what sort of misconception is this?

In reality you should buy a good quality amp and not worry about numbers, everyone seems to fixated on the numbers which is a rather useless thing to do.

Also the reason that education beats power. All of these idiots with 3kW amps and huge power hungry subs with low output in the SPL world getting spanked by guys with 200w and a well thought out install really cracks me up.