chad y

(Misconceptions??)

I remember watching the one where they installed the Jackhammer. Ugh.

MadMike and the PMR crew know nothing about audio. They learned from the nerd kid at Bust Buy. This must qualify them to expertly install that JockHummer. Should have just got a fully loaded BTL and been done with it.

What cracks me up is the kid who watches chit like this, gets the biggest amp he can afford, some 12 guage house wire and tries to run 2 15's full tilt off of a stock 60amp electrical system in his Geo Metro, kills the amp/subs and then says they are chit. "10,000 watts Yo!"

Missed contraception indeed...

only 136dB? wtf? how?

out in the open, like a concert

Wow!! I didn't know Jackhammers pack 24k watts of power?!! My subs only push out about 1500 watts ahahahahaha

:bigclap:

Oh yeah my amps usually do about 167db on the good days too

I didnt know subs produce power. I need to get rid of my amps

when he hits it at 1:09?

haha ye at 1:09

i saw it when mad mike pushed on the cone, spiders gave in, wasnt stiff at all

There's another misconception. Suspension has to be stiff.

yeah i was about to say, i dont think they know anything about car audio...box looks rediculously small for a 22" driver with a huge ass motor.

I've heard SO many store bought junk set ups it isn't funny. I end up telling them to turn it up all the way, then I get "the look" as it's already all the way up. But they have like 10million watts peaks and I only have 6k RMS, wonder why I'm so much louder.

Curious to know about these LOUD 200watt set ups being talked about

I remember watching someone put the 22" hammer into a hatch, i have no idea what the specs and how much power he was running but he hit like 150 ish.

My apartment setup has 8 watts from 50Hz on up and it gets loud enough to annoy the neighbors quite well :P

There's a couple amps in the 1.5W range I want to try, just don't have the room for the speakers I'd need right now.

Well, my last "LOUD" low power system consisted of 8 RE 8s and 150 watts. I scored 143db on T/L.

You see some pretty pathetic numbers thrown up all the time, Like 1000+ watts and big subs barely doing 140....

I wish I could make a copy of this video and show it to all the noobs I run into at the little stereo guru shops that dont know squat!

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/Various/termlab.1.wmv

If only I had a nickle every time I heard someone says my system sounds so loud its hittin blah blah blah!

My leaf-blower hits harder than that...with sound quality too.

I wish I could make a copy of this video and show it to all the noobs I run into at the little stereo guru shops that dont know squat!

If only I had a nickle every time I heard someone says my system sounds so loud its hittin blah blah blah!

so that means air pressure is what makes a system loud?

No.. you need to watch the video again.. It means air pressure is what causes the system to register on a termlab to get a number. He just did a test by screaming in it to show the difference between loud to the "ear" and loud on the mic. My systems built to be all out loud to the ear and with all windows rolled up I cant build pressure in my cab to save my life. All I can do is be ungodly loud and move tons of air

No.. you need to watch the video again.. It means air pressure is what causes the system to register on a termlab to get a number. He just did a test by screaming in it to show the difference between loud to the "ear" and loud on the mic. My systems built to be all out loud to the ear and with all windows rolled up I cant build pressure in my cab to save my life. All I can do is be ungodly loud and move tons of air

ok. so what would a system that is just loud be like compared to a system that builds up pressure. in terms of box design, woofer size, etc

Thats why the TL is used today and not the audio control like back in the day when I started doing this. The AC mic would have registered his scream.

ok. so what would a system that is just loud be like compared to a system that builds up pressure. in terms of box design, woofer size, etc

Your not serious are you?

The point of blowing on the sensor and not getting a high reading is to show the TL isn't sensitive to air currents in the environment, unlike traditional transducers. Air currents, like blowing on a mic, aren't loud. But, they can move the electro-dynamic elements enough to give the false reading of being loud.

Screams aren't loud either (at all), relatively speaking in the realm of 140db+ car audio systems....

A TL doesn't measure anything but SPL.

If you aren't loud on a TL, then you aren't loud.

SPL = Sound Pressure Level.

My personal favorite misconceptions are that power ratings have anything to do with driver quality and that SPL is the only measure of a quality "system."

Think "that sub is so over-rated, you can get way louder for less money"

You all know exactly what I'm talking about.

yea. because it seems like there is something I'm not getting. Are you saying loud is like some 6 1/2 speakers playing and spl is subs. I know about spl, I think I'm just confused on the way you mean 'loud'.

I know the easiest way to blow a speaker is to under power it, so I ALWAYS keep my system at max volume. yo. . .

yea. because it seems like there is something I'm not getting. Are you saying loud is like some 6 1/2 speakers playing and spl is subs. I know about spl, I think I'm just confused on the way you mean 'loud'.

Differnce between loud to the "Ear" and loud on a mic

I have heard systems at competitions that were ungodly loud and shook the ground but didn't hit a high number get beaten by the smaller systems that didn't sound like much but took the higher score. This is where most of the complaints to the judges originate. It's a sore topic for many. The meter and the ear are quite different.