SoundSplinter

First Looks: SoundSplinter RL-i Series 8" Driver

i'm late but um,

500rms :faintthud::joshers3: :musik05: :musik05: :musik05:

um looking at that 8.....i think that going to fluck up the 8w7...it handles more power than the 8w7(300w)..i just hope it has either more cone area or more xmax...and overall more sound quality and spl....becuz if it does...oooooooooooo baby..i will be buying 6 of them

humm if the TC8 got 2nd, maybe this could run with if not pass the CMP8 in SQ

Mike do you happen to kno the mounting depth or a ballpark on enclosure requirements yet?

Kent, you can probably guess whats going thru my mind lol

Thanks

Tom

enclosure sizes are small, well, can be small..lol...

mike is working out most of the specifics as we speak/type.

as to pricing, i know some are wondering..

about $148 each. of course, like all SS pricing, if u buy two, the cost goes down some...$135 a driver for 2, up to 9. after 9, the price goes down again.

in all honesty, that's not too shabby considering u can throw 500wrms+ at these things....definitely rf hx2 and jl8w7 territory...lol...

i can't wait to get my pair!!!!!

and TLM..these would be perfect for your truck!!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

These things are awesome. I dont think i really have any use for them, but if I ever need an 8 Im sure Ill pick up a couple of these. The magnet on this thing looks massive compared to that small cone.

The custom TC sub submitted for the si.n Great 8 Showdown thing is not the 8" sub linked to above... The sub that went to Loyd was my cutom 8" TC sub... here are some pics...

*snip*

As you can see, its a fair bit different from the dual slug, single TP unit posted above. ;)

And it was in a horrible box at the meet for sq testing... this sub was never ever ever designed to see a ported box... If they had put it in 1.2 cubes sealed, it would have taken first, guaranteed.

:)

Mike

My bad. I thought that TC had only released one version of their 8" sub. :unsure:

As an aside, your sub was my guess for first place in SQ testing. Glad to hear that my suspicions weren't unfounded. ;)

What are the specs on yours?

here are the numbers I got from Ponte...

Qts - 1.231

Qes - 1.587

Qms - 5.483

Fs - 43.086 hz

Res - 2.35 ohms

Ls - 289.7u

Lp - 1.562m

Rp - 1.086

Dia - 188m

Vas - 19.64 litres

Mms - 75.16

Cms - 181.5u

bl - 5.489

n0 - 95.21m

SplSens - 81.78

Odd numbers, I know.

sealedlips.gif Well, it looks like I may have jumped the gun a bit on the release date for these... I'm having some serious difficulties getting the proper parts together with TC so I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to proceed quite yet. Both the cones and the surrounds for the TC2+8 are no where to be found and no new arrivals are expected anytime soon crying.gif

What this means is I can go with paper cones + foam surrounds, or pay thousands to have the parts re-tooled and end up with 100x more than I need... OR wait this thing out and see if any new avenues open up. I really am not fond of the paper cones or the foam surrounds, so at this point I think it may be safe to say that the launch of the RL-i8's will be seriously delayed sad.gif

My apologies for getting your hopes up too early nonono.gif

I do have some other ideas in the works, so with any luck you'll see something new from us by Summer 2005. Ack.. trials and tribulations these be :glare:

oh well, stinks about the bad news,

but it is good that you choose quality, it is worth it to wait out for the better more durable and reliable parts

agreed!! i'd rather u wait so that u get the end product u wnat rather then sacrifice a lil here and there to just get the product.

plus, like the cliche says..

good things come to those who wait!

we'll still be here when the 8's arrive!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

just a bit of an update..nothing set in stone yet...

the 8's might just be on their way soon yet!

they could possibly have a higher excursion rubber surround, allowing another 1-2 mm of xmax.

again, nothing definitive, but at least there is hope!! lol

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

:woot::woot:

your last option could be get them done with paper and foam. Then offer an upgrade for people who can recone them on their own, for set amount of $$ if they want or they can keep it foam and paper.

btw, I'm the one who emailed you about getting a 12" RL-i recone kit for one of my custom tc2+ 8"s which looks alot like ur RL-i8 proto.

If the RL-i comes out like mine. It'll drop hella alow get stupid loud for its size and sound good to boot in 2.25ft^3 a pair off a bd1000 :ready2go: , w7 who? I shut D a guy with 2 10 dubs on sheer volume with rap but, I do decent installs for loud imo. He just had two in an Ho box with some JL amp. I just won 1st at the soundoff on saturday as a matter of fact lol sorry had to brag. 149.3 spl190 mic legal on dash playing musical material at the levels I listen to it comfortably. That was with an RE MT 18" and GenXX colossus though, not two 8"s lol. I actually tied a CRX with a soloX and two viper 2500d's but we let the crowd decide and pounded with the cars open playing rap and they said mine was cleaner dropped lower and had more pressure hitting them.

but enuff about that! Bring the 8"s with foam and paper. I'm sure if a few more people recone their own subs the world will be a better place :D

post-396-1109228125_thumb.jpg

your last option could be get them done with paper and foam. Then offer an upgrade for people who can recone them on their own, for set amount of $$ if they want or they can keep it foam and paper.

btw, I'm the one who emailed you about getting a 12" RL-i recone kit for one of my custom tc2+ 8"s which looks alot like ur RL-i8 proto.

If the RL-i comes out like mine. It'll drop hella alow get stupid loud for its size and sound good to boot in 2.25ft^3 a pair off a bd1000  :ready2go:  , w7 who? I shut D a guy with 2 10 dubs on sheer volume with rap but, I do decent installs for loud imo. He just had two in an Ho box with some JL amp. I just won 1st at the soundoff on saturday as a matter of fact lol sorry had to brag. 149.3 spl190 mic legal on dash playing musical material at the levels I listen to it comfortably. That was with an RE MT 18" and GenXX colossus though, not two 8"s lol. I actually tied a CRX with a soloX and two viper 2500d's but we let the crowd decide and pounded with the cars open playing rap and they said mine was cleaner dropped lower and had more pressure hitting them.

but enuff about that! Bring the 8"s with foam and paper. I'm sure if a few more people recone their own subs the world will be a better place  :D

the reason ur tc2+ 8 and SS's look so much alike are that they are identical..lol. mike's entire rl-i line-up is a carbon copy of the tc2+.

as to the paper cones and foam surrounds, mike has decided to just wait until he can get the surrounds and cones he wants. bring out the product he wanted too and not compromise on anything just to have product. however, like i posted above, they might be out soon anyway.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

any more updates on these little guys?

i think it'd be sweet to put two of these in my rear deck in the 6x9 holes if/when i want to lighten my car ;)