Sign in to follow this  
kingkeem5

Breaking in Subwoofers

Usaully when I buy a brand new subwoofer, I usaully baby it for a week.

Then I start to slowly go further with it..

Its always a good rule of thumb to take it easy for the first few days. Even though it doesn't mean you'll blow them immediately if you don't break them in, in the long run, it could effect the total life span. Plus, factory testing last about 3 seconds...

i've had my 18" btl for a few months now and its just as stiff as the day i got it.

Its not as much the physical stiffness of the sub as it is the break-in of the motor assembly...

i play as hard the first day as i ever will.

Nothing changes in the motor.

There is NO conclusive data on break-in as far as damage...

In other words, people don't really know what they are talking about... Let it rip or take it easy, it won't make a difference.

the owner of a local audio shop told me that the glue in a subwoofer needs to heat up and cool as a sub breaks in, but i think if you're melting glue in your subwoofer that's no longer called breaking in your sub it's called exceeding the thermal limits :D

(i'm still breaking in some of my subs, they're 6 years old :P)

Do you think when a spl competitor blows a sub at a comp and has to put in a brand new one to continue the show they break in the woofer before going into the lanes? Heck no, they put in the sub and go full tilt on it. I've talked to quite a few competitors that blow subs due to too much power and they have blown many subs even before they get a chance to break in.

Myself I don't break in a woofer, but have noticed a difference in spl scores over time when the woofer's suspension starts to loosen up. That is making the woofer more efficient and will generally show a .1-.2 db increase on the TL when that happens.

Don't listin to all of them. Plug it up to the wall. The sine wave is good for it, it will make it happy!

This type of crap is what helps people ruin their equipment. If you don't have something informative to offer, do not post anything.

the sub will break in by itself over time. If you play it lightly it will just take longer to break in. My Mag sounded different (and better) after 1-2 weeks of playing time.

i played all my subs as hard as i could as soon as i got them ive had this set for about 1 year and they dont sound much different from the first time i played them besides getting louder with better equipment

Don't listin to all of them. Plug it up to the wall. The sine wave is good for it, it will make it happy!

This type of crap is what helps people ruin their equipment. If you don't have something informative to offer, do not post anything.

This is counter-productive and a stupid thing nonetheless..... But a buddy of mine Johnny back in the late '80's-early '90's was back east or in Texas or somewhere at a Soundstream dealer. And one of the sales pitches/gimmicks was to plug a Soundstream driver directly into a 120 volt AC wall socket.

I remember my friend bragging about it, buzzing away at 60Hz without burning up.

I have no idea how long long the test was performed, (probably not very long) or if there was some sort of device or something to limit current to pull off the trick.

I suppose back then I would have been impressed as well, watching a subwoofer plugged into the wall......you know.....WOW! Wotta tough subwoofer.....

Nowdays, I dunno........Well, that's cool.... now let's try it at 240 VAC, and work our way up to 480 VAC....

haha someone told me that a break-in period is just an excuse for companies to have chitty sounding woofers

its not too much power that blows subs it's distortion.

Here we go again :)

Clipped signal = more power. The speaker doesn't care wether it's getting clean signal or clipped signal. The coil will fry if you apply too much power.

its not too much power that blows subs it's distortion

:Doh:

And you have proven this theory, how?

distortion blows subs up alot faster than power. proven fact. I have done it.

No it's not, and no you haven't.

Perform an objective test as I have and I will recant my statement.