filtor1

I almost forgot about posting pics

I guess with the holidays and all of my car issues I neglected to post these. It shouldn't be too long before I get them in.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

Next to one (of 2) of the 4" Precision Ports I plan on using.

DSC00239.jpg

and my favorite pic

DSC00232.jpg

Enjoy!

I guess with the holidays and all of my car issues I neglected to post these. It shouldn't be too long before I get them in.

DSC00237.jpg

DSC00233.jpg

Next to one (of 2) of the 4" Precision Ports I plan on using.

DSC00239.jpg

and my favorite pic

DSC00232.jpg

Enjoy!

LOOK AT ALL THAT AZZ!!!!

FESS UP!

What mids are those? Ascendant?

Yup.

DSC00198.jpg

DSC00199.jpg

DSC00200.jpg

And a shot of them next to my Rainbow Powerline mids ;)

DSC00208.jpg

I will be doing a head-to-head and see which set I like better. I have never had a cf coned mid before, so I am super excited about seeing what they can do. Both are 7" mids and vary vastly on design philosophy and contruction. It should be interesting. This will be active, my first try, and will be complimented with the Rainbow cal27VOF tweeter and run off the 4 channels of a Kicker ZX850.4.

Edited by Chris

Here are a couple more pics of the Rainbows next to the Havoc mids

DSC00205.jpg

DSC00206.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

I know I am not Mr. Photography, but you get the idea. :)

What did you pay for those AA Mid's? I'll be in the market soon.

Looks good!

the rainbows look more like a midbass than a midrange. have you compare freq resp graphs. if so what do the look like. id think you could lowpass the aa higher and get a better midrange with a slight loss of midbass. i think it will depend on the tweeter you use.

What did you pay for those AA Mid's? I'll be in the market soon.

It depends on your local dealer. I bought from Shawn, as he is the only authorized dealer in my area. I will post if he says it is cool. :)

Edited by Chris

Looks good!

Thanks! I will post the build log when I get ready so you guys can critique it. :D

Very nice! Am interested in what you think of the AA mids, they look awsome!

the rainbows look more like a midbass than a midrange. have you compare freq resp graphs. if so what do the look like. id think you could lowpass the aa higher and get a better midrange with a slight loss of midbass. i think it will depend on the tweeter you use.

I agree, the Rainbows do look more like a midbass. I used them for a year before they decided to give off thier majic smoke. I was running them passive with the ZX850.4 bridged. It worked well for a while, but they finally gave in.

I have not seen graphs of either. I am going to try the Rainbows out first with the lower power, active and crossed at 80 and see if they behave differently. The baffle I made will accomodate either mid to aid in a direct comparison. I am trying to experiment with both and try not to cloud my opinion without seat time and testing the best I can. The driver I like the best will stay and I will sell the other.

My hope is to be able to play the mids at 63Hz or 80Hz w/ 12db/octave slope and have the Havoc 12"s take up under there, but the first try with the Rainbows didn't work like I wanted. They sounded great, but I think the crossovers were dumping all the unused power from the tweeter and causing issues when I tried to balance them. I will be running a considerable amount less power this time, so I hope this helps with that issue.

My biggest fear is the cal27VOF tweeter being overpowered and that causing issues. I bought the ZX850.4 on a whim without thinking about what I was using it for. It really is more than I need. I am going to move forward with the tweeter pods I built though. I will post some pics. They were aimed at the dash and the left one at the gauge cluster and always sounded a bit off and muffled at times when I was doing pleasure listening. So I decided on a new angle and glassed a set to try and correct this. I hope they aren't too harsh being so close to on-axis. We will see. I am in an experimentation phase with the setup, so if it doesn't work, I will try something else. :D

Here are the pods I built. Don't laugh too hard as this was my first time glassing.

DSC00282.jpg

DSC00283.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

No pics of the bondo stage as I think they look horrible so I didn't take any. These will be attached to the stock sail panels and then moulded in. That is the plan anyway.

Very nice! Am interested in what you think of the AA mids, they look awsome!

I hope to have everything in y the end of Jan. I will be sure to post my impressions. :dj:

Definitely keep us posted on the differences between the two mids. Ours look a little "dainty" next to those monsters :)

Definitely keep us posted on the differences between the two mids. Ours look a little "dainty" next to those monsters :)

I definitely will. And as far as the looks, I have heard they can be deceiving. :D I prefer the depth od the Havoc mids to the Rainbow mids as I would not have needed to cut the door panel, but that is water under the bridge. The cf cone looks amazing too. I really look forward to seeing what they are capable of.

On a side note. The tweeter pods sucked. There were too many complex for the Vinyl and when fitted, I mounted the pods about 1/2" too low and they prevented proper placement of the door panels. :( I broke them down to the stock sail and am going to start over.

One more thing, thanks to Scott for designing such great stuff. Even though my wallet shivers, it is one of the few things I have that makes me happy.

Thanks Scott for everything you have done for me and this hobby/sport. I appreciate it!

That desk looks familiar!

:captain:

That desk looks familiar!

:captain:

Yo Adrian, good to see you lurking around here. I wish you were in town. I don't htink I can rip down this 4'X8' piece of 3/4" MDF by myself. I am going to give it a shot though. :)

Any updates yet?

Oh yeah. :D I tried my best and seem to have not taken all variables into account. The 2-4" Aeroports did not provide enough port area. So I decided to do a center slot port. I contacted Fisher Customs and ordered a box to spec for my trunk. Thee are pics in the Fisher Custom forum of the build, but I will post the important ones here too.

Specs: 2cf net/driver, center port, tuned to 32Hz. 40" x 22" x 14" outside dimensions.

DSC00451.jpg

DSC00450.jpg

DSC00453.jpg

DSC00452.jpg