Sign in to follow this  
mklett33

Taurus 15" BTL Aq2200D Big 3 Kerfed Enclosure

So guys my Taurus has went through many a system but is time to let loose and get it to the point I have always wanted. Crisp clean highs and solid bottom end, by no means "sq" perfect but close as I can still being loud.

Plans include:

AQ2200D Amplifier

Fi BTL 15" Loaded D2

2 Batteries

Upgraded Alt

1/0 Gauge Runs and Big 3 (Complete)

Fully Deadened Front doors (Complete)

Trunk Deadened

4 Cubic Foot Box at 34 Hz with Kerfs (In progress)

Pioneer Door Speakers and 12 Gauge Ran through molexes (Complete)

Amped Front Speakers off Profile AP400 (Complete)

Some pics of the big 3

2237323911_80cc2ece62.jpg

2237325347_b5d24800c8.jpg

2238122162_e039b0afd7.jpg

2237334213_0cbfe48473.jpg

2237327373_c8b8f0d450.jpg

2237329229_1ff55422f4.jpg

Started the box:

Here is a sketchup model of it, the front will be double baffled, hence the offset you will see inthe build pics, so far there is only the back section

BTLBox.jpg

Practice kerfing

0930091443.jpg

THis is the inner port section

0930091716.jpg

0930091814.jpg

0930091844.jpg

1001091227.jpg

Port painted

1002091511.jpg

1002091511a.jpg

Thats it for now, I love input, let me know what you guys think, I learned a lot about kerfing, so any questions ask... :)

Whatever tips or info that you want to share about kerfing could you please share with us or send me a pm, that is what im trying do to my next enclosure and been researching over the last past three months.

looks better than my attempt at it today. I filled it with glue but couldnt stop messing with the box to let it dry, so the glue kept running out of the grooves. might have to go get me some resin. thanks for the idea.

Nice job on the kerfs! Overall install looks good! Keep the pics coming!

Whatever tips or info that you want to share about kerfing could you please share with us or send me a pm, that is what im trying do to my next enclosure and been researching over the last past three months.

^^this^^, i would also like any tips on kerfing if possible. like how deep did you cut and what was the spacing, as well as the final radii?

thanks

from looking at his, and looking at mine, I think it works better with his spacing, came out more of a consistent radius than mine, mine is only about a blade width spacing between cuts. his is probably stronger too, theres more meat to it. but I only had somewhere around 1/32" left after my cuts, doesnt look like he left much more, if any, so I might have gotten that part right.

^^this^^, i would also like any tips on kerfing if possible. like how deep did you cut and what was the spacing, as well as the final radii?

thanks

It takes a lot practice! Start with 5/8" deep and 1/2" - 3/4" spacing until you get your desired radius.

Pretty nice, I like the kerfs, I will be making an attempt at this is the near future.

If you guys want some great info about kerfing from someone who knows how to do it and been for a while, contact member - "Jay-C76"

I haven't seen him on here though in quite a while so hopefully he's still around.

If you guys want some great info about kerfing from someone who knows how to do it and been for a while, contact member - "Jay-C76"

I haven't seen him on here though in quite a while so hopefully he's still around.

He is a good guy. I met him at slamology, I had his number, but he won't come back here ever again. The "idiot" moderators drove him away. It says so on his profile. I wish I could get a hold of him, he was supposed to help me with the kerfs.

I really didnt have to many problems, you just need to do some math to figure out how much material needs to be removed when you have for instance a 3" outer diameter and 2.25" inner diameter (because of 3/4 mdf) use formulas for circumfrence, if you are only doing a 90 degree bend then divide the circumference by 4. I did 11 cuts at half inch intervals leaving about 3/32 of material, you have to work the wood back and forth and go from there...

I really didnt have to many problems, you just need to do some math to figure out how much material needs to be removed when you have for instance a 3" outer diameter and 2.25" inner diameter (because of 3/4 mdf) use formulas for circumfrence, if you are only doing a 90 degree bend then divide the circumference by 4. I did 11 cuts at half inch intervals leaving about 3/32 of material, you have to work the wood back and forth and go from there...

thank you for that. i knew there should be a way to figure it out, but i couldnt think of it. doing the circumference thing sounds like a good way to do it. thanks again!!

Im doing the circumference method on my next box as well.

is this going in the hatchback taurus? my bro has a 01 sable, cant imagine a box that size going in that trunk. im having a hard time coming up with a good sub stage with his 15 L7 due to box requirements..

Looks good. :)

is this going in the hatchback taurus? my bro has a 01 sable, cant imagine a box that size going in that trunk. im having a hard time coming up with a good sub stage with his 15 L7 due to box requirements..

Yeah it is a trunk, it should fit, I did a similar size in a friends Taurus of the same year, it was tight as hell, but it went in with persuasion haha

Thank you!

looks really goooooooood

Thanks a lot!

Yeah it is a trunk, it should fit, I did a similar size in a friends Taurus of the same year, it was tight as hell, but it went in with persuasion haha

Thank you!

looks really goooooooood

Thanks a lot!

ill take a look at my bro's car again, i like to get some more port area for him... right now its just 2 4" pvc ports... maybe i can do some diy flares for them to kill some port noise.

gona pull the rear speakers too, his rear deck is getting fucked up...

Box should look good :P

Been out of the game for a little while but here is the box, no BTL yet, just using a 15" 7500 til I save up enough...

downsized_1202091317a.jpg

1202091317b.jpg

Yes I need to paint the port...

Looking good. :popcorn:

Looking Good...I too have a Taurus and I know for a fact you can get a 6 cube box in the trunk with no issues. I have a BL on 2.8 K and you should be very happy with your new set up

Looking Good...I too have a Taurus and I know for a fact you can get a 6 cube box in the trunk with no issues. I have a BL on 2.8 K and you should be very happy with your new set up

Thanks, I see you are from Lansing, I am excited! Tax return is good this year so should be able to get everything, how did you go about getting the mechman alt?