Mac N Cheese

Mac N Cheese's build log

I got my bodyfiller from Home Depot, it really doesn't matter where the hell you get it.

I got my bodyfiller from Home Depot, it really doesn't matter where the hell you get it.

Yes your right... I wasn't trying to step on any toes.... sorry....

Hawk

This is a great build and the pics are great... Good call on going to Lowe's as you need to stay away from the orange box....lol....

Hawk

Is Lowe's that much better than Home Depot?

Mac N Cheese if you wan to do my pillars then Ill send them to you.

It is when Lowe's has been supporting your family for the last 7 years... Again sorry for the post and I edited it out...

Mac N Cheese sorry no disrespect to your log... great job again on your build and keep it up...

Hawk

Yes your right... I wasn't trying to step on any toes.... sorry....

Hawk

My toes are fine ;)

I was trying to say it doesn't matter, go to which ever store you prefer. They are two different stores that concentrate on different things, Home Depot concentrates more on the building, Lowe's focuses on the decorating of homes.

I bought my stuff at Home Depot, instead of buying the small bottles i bought the bigger bottles, for body filler its like 10 dollars for 1 pound vs 20 dollars for 5 pounds.

Check out some of this stuff. It stays tacky during layers so you dont have to sand. Tap Plastics Then on the last layer, you add the hardener. Surface Curing Agent Its pretty cool stuff.:drink40: You will want the bubble buster as well.

Coming along nicely. How do you get exactly 67% though! LOL :lol:

lol i really dont know how i got 67%, yeah thanks ill check that out

Is there a reason your doing a layer of glass mat as well? You really won't need it, do the resin soaked fabric and body filler to smooth and shape it.

ohh didn't know that... i was thinking it would be alright just to do the resin because it was solid after one coat...

This is a great build and the pics are great... Good call on going to Lowe's as you need to stay away from the orange box....lol....

Hawk

Is Lowe's that much better than Home Depot?

Mac N Cheese if you wan to do my pillars then Ill send them to you.

thanks guys for the comments, yeah if you wanna i will lol, they are actually fun because you get to design the shape

Alright well havn't done much since the first coat of glass was applied.. but tomorrow ill put one more coat on of mat just to be safe...and then body filler is going on "which is the fun part, i think"

Is there a reason your doing a layer of glass mat as well? You really won't need it, do the resin soaked fabric and body filler to smooth and shape it.

ohh didn't know that... i was thinking it would be alright just to do the resin because it was solid after one coat...

On a small tweeter, you can get away with just fabric, resin, and filler. It wont need much strength.

A larger speaker enclosure will generally need the layering of mat.

On a small tweeter, you can get away with just fabric, resin, and filler. It wont need much strength.

A larger speaker enclosure will generally need the layering of mat.

oh ok, good thing to know, well then i guess no more glassing lol, probably just sand tomorrow and add a couple layers of body filler

As for rear components still don't know what to go with. I was thinking of getting a set of AA carbon fiber mids but still not a 100% sure

more pics tomorrow

UPDATE: going out right NOW to start body filling the pillar, this is where it really takes shape

Alright started using body filler and its start to take shape but still needs sanding plus more filler..

It looks like it's not smooth but AFTER I took these pics i smoothed it down

first layer of filler

gallery_7108_326_1129355.jpg

gallery_7108_326_361107.jpg

gallery_7108_326_814610.jpg

Was smoothed down after this pic^

How well Does the fiberglass resin bond to the plastic? How well does the body filler bond to the plastic?

Looks like you are havin' fun! Keep up the good work!trink40.gif

How well Does the fiberglass resin bond to the plastic? How well does the body filler bond to the plastic?

Looks like you are havin' fun! Keep up the good work!trink40.gif

the fiberglass bonds actually really well to the plastic, but the body filler takes alittle more effort but i got it to work

thanks

^O YEA i have alot of fun designing and actually building, and the accomplishment of actually saying yea i made those is priceless

that's going to be the last update today, got to work at 2 but i have tomorrow off so expect alot more work to be done. The next stage is to sand down and hopefully make it somewhat smooth, and then filler, sand filler, sand...repeated process till perfection

stay tuned

update: A pillar is sanded, and getting ready for the second coat of filler...definitely taking shape

these first couple picks are from after the sanding process and are ready for the second coat

gallery_7108_326_769152.jpg

gallery_7108_326_358420.jpg

starting the second coat

gallery_7108_326_618136.jpg

the purpous of the second coat is to fill in all the gaps, or dents to make it look flush...all gaps filled and is drying now

gallery_7108_326_507928.jpg

Wait till it's dry and then ill be back out there sanding :drink40:

I use hot glue.