Bassin Buick

How Are Sundown compared to jl amps of equivalent power range?

they cost a lot more and dont have the direct CS you will get with sundown :)

i was thinking about getting 2 125.2's to run 2 ssa dcon 12's and 2 pairs of hertz esk 165l 3 way components.

any input on that setup? its going in a minivan. i just built a box for my current subs and it will be great for the dcons.

Sundown is have a killer sale right now. better take advantage while it lasts.

i was thinking about getting 2 125.2's to run 2 ssa dcon 12's and 2 pairs of hertz esk 165l 3 way components.

any input on that setup? its going in a minivan. i just built a box for my current subs and it will be great for the dcons.

Go for it, as stated earlier Sundown is having a sale and that system would be nice.

I dont know about killer , its $40 off but it is better then nothing :D

Where is this sale sundown is having?

I dont know about killer , its $40 off but it is better then nothing :D

To me $40 off on something that is so highly recommended in the car audio world is a great deal. Most car audio manufacturers do not have sales.

Where is this sale sundown is having?

i posted a link up top.

its a "combo deal" so not really a sale

nevermind, jay-cee gots the link!

answered my own question, here at SSA! . appears the prices have went down :D might score another 1500D... :)

I was wanting to post something similar today cause I wanna know if the sundowns are that much better? I have a jl 1000/v2 and wondered if it would be worth goin thru selling it to get the sundown 1500

I was wanting to post something similar today cause I wanna know if the sundowns are that much better? I have a jl 1000/v2 and wondered if it would be worth goin thru selling it to get the sundown 1500

what are you trying to gain? you wont notice an audible difference between the two amps, even if it is another 500 watts. your ears shouldnt be able to tell much, if any, difference.

what are you trying to gain? you wont notice an audible difference between the two amps, even if it is another 500 watts. your ears shouldnt be able to tell much, if any, difference.

Well I guess what I was looking for lol, thanks

I don't know about the JL, but I had a 1000 watts Sundown amp and changed it for a Sundown 1500.

The difference IS really audible. Same sub, same box, same car.

It was loud with the saz 1000, but it's just louder now !

With the 1500 it's louder ealier !!

Maybe it will not be the case for every car. I don't know.

To the OP : get the Sundown only if you can sell the JL higher than the price of the Sundown !!! It's possible.

I don't know about the JL, but I had a 1000 watts Sundown amp and changed it for a Sundown 1500.

To the OP : get the Sundown only if you can sell the JL higher than the price of the Sundown !!! It's possible.

Probably a difference in gain adjustment.

Probably a difference in gain adjustment.

Or psychoacoustics

If you purchase the JL from an authorized local dealer, I don't think CS can get much better than having a live person in front of you who can troubleshoot hands on, give face to face advise while your setup is right there in front of them, or having the ability to slide a new product across the counter to you in the off chance you do get a bunk product rather than waiting on RA tags and shipping time.

Jacob is certainly a really great guy who treats his customers as they should be treated.....but that isn't something a local dealer can't provide with the added bonus of being face-to-face and potentially hands-on. I think people discount the value a local dealer offers in terms of service and significantly over values "talking directly to the owner" of an (primarily) internet company.

As to the original question: Depends on what line of amplifiers you are looking at from JL. Both are good quality products. Sundown is a more generic product from a buildhouse, hence the lower price. JL is a proprietary design with slightly more features built into the higher line of products. The Slash series (and possibly the HD, I don't know for certain) was designed by Bruce MacMillan who also designed such amplifiers as the praised PPI ProMos and Art series. If you don't find the value in the features JL has to offer over the Sundown, go with the Sundown. If you do, go with JL. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

i actually like my jl it plays clean and i like the fact that you get the max and whatever ohm load and at a broad range of voltage. only bad thing for me is it is kinda hard to set up. i was just wandering if it would be a big difference in the extra 500 watts but that got answered earlier. as far as the voltage it might not be a problem anyway since i have a diesel with 2 batteries. my voltage barely moves n when it does its right back to 14. if i was just now buying an amp or knew about sundown before hand ya can get the sundown 3500 for the price of the jl

Edited by basshead601

If you purchase the JL from an authorized local dealer, I don't think CS can get much better than having a live person in front of you who can troubleshoot hands on, give face to face advise while your setup is right there in front of them, or having the ability to slide a new product across the counter to you in the off chance you do get a bunk product rather than waiting on RA tags and shipping time.

Jacob is certainly a really great guy who treats his customers as they should be treated.....but that isn't something a local dealer can't provide with the added bonus of being face-to-face and potentially hands-on. I think people discount the value a local dealer offers in terms of service and significantly over values "talking directly to the owner" of an (primarily) internet company.

As to the original question: Depends on what line of amplifiers you are looking at from JL. Both are good quality products. Sundown is a more generic product from a buildhouse, hence the lower price. JL is a proprietary design with slightly more features built into the higher line of products. The Slash series (and possibly the HD, I don't know for certain) was designed by Bruce MacMillan who also designed such amplifiers as the praised PPI ProMos and Art series. If you don't find the value in the features JL has to offer over the Sundown, go with the Sundown. If you do, go with JL. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed with either.

That's great if you have a shop and dealer you can trust. In my case there isn't a shop or dealer I would trust close enough to make it worthwhile for the extra cost over internet prices. That's the one problem with buying local IMO, not everyone has a trustworthy or capable shop nearby. There's rumors that float around here that the local shop here pays some shady characters to steal the equipment the shop installed then they sell it again. That goes along with many police reports and investigations but nothing that ever sticks. This town sucks. /rant Anyway, I'd buy more stuff locally if there was a trustworthy, capable and well ran shop to go to that wasn't 2+ hours away.

i'm looking for the best quality. sound and build.

I don't think JL amps can compare to Sundowns. But then again I see everyone has already given you their .02 on which one to go with.

I just figured it would be a good deal of difference goin from the jl 1000 to the Sundown 1500 but I have been wrong before.500 watts just seemed like it would be a big enuff difference to hear

I just figured it would be a good deal of difference goin from the jl 1000 to the Sundown 1500 but I have been wrong before.500 watts just seemed like it would be a big enuff difference to hear

10*log(1500/1000) = 1.76db

And that is before considering the effects of power compression, which will decrease that number further.

Audible? Maybe.

Dramatic? No.

With any time lag, which by default there will be to install, 2dB isn't even audible.