outhopu

93 Fleetwood Caddy build.

:drink40:

Looking good Homey! People are going to do triple takes when they see this car. ;)

Wow just wow at the craftsmanship!

Keep up the great work!

My goodness, you are the kind of guy I want building the space shuttle. No missing pieces, everything nice and sturdy. I take that back, you are the kind of guy I want building our everything in this world. Skyscrapers wont fall. Buildings wont collapse. Cars wont explode. Aside from the batteries :lol2: Anyways, Great build can't wait for more!!

Looking good Homey! People are going to do triple takes when they see this car. ;)

The ironic thing is that your average person will have no clue as to whats been done after all the welds are polished down and it's painted. Thats why I document my work the way I do so more people can grasp whats being done and how.

Wow just wow at the craftsmanship!

Keep up the great work!

Thanks, quality is the goal here.

My goodness, you are the kind of guy I want building the space shuttle. No missing pieces, everything nice and sturdy. I take that back, you are the kind of guy I want building our everything in this world. Skyscrapers wont fall. Buildings wont collapse. Cars wont explode. Aside from the batteries :lol2: Anyways, Great build can't wait for more!!

I'm a little bit obsessed with details and the end result is a byproduct of many many small details linked together. To many people cut corners and use the "good enough" attitude which always degrades the finished product. I use the I can do better approach and prefer those results. Thanks for the props and a good laugh.

Got the crossmember just about done.

Picture007-2.jpg

Polished the welds down where it meets the frame rail. Every welld will be shaped to a sharp edge before getting rounded over. This will insure straight and flat seams.

Picture011-2.jpg

Finished trimming and welding the lower mounts and did a little bit of metal finishing on them.

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture009-2.jpg

Started formulating my plan of attack for the custom uppers. I'll need to extend these arms and make a jig to locate the balljoint then I'll be able to get started on the new arms.

Picture015-3.jpg

After some thought I'm going to build the lowers first.

Made a jig to locate everything.

Picture018-1.jpg

Now I just need to put something between these. :biggrin:

Picture020-3.jpg

Here is a comparison of the stock lower ball joint next to the new one I'm retro fitting in it's place. It's much larger and uses a larger nut, it should add a considerable amount of strength. It's also a NAPA H.D. balljoint for even more piece of mind.

Picture016-3.jpg

Picture017-2.jpg

Got the uppers ghetto extended so I can make a jig for the new uppers tomorrow hopefully.

Picture032-2.jpg

Got the uppers ghetto extended so I can make a jig for the new uppers tomorrow hopefully.

Picture032-2.jpg

You never fail to impress, frame is really looking good. Control arms...I'm tuned to see these come together. :popcorn:

Awesome craftsmanship! Are you fabbing tubular a-arms?

I'm at a stand still on the lowers until I get the ball joint sleeves machined so I moved on to the jig for the upper.

Picture033-3.jpg

Picture035-2.jpg

The new upper ball joints are larger and longer also. These are also NAPA units

Picture037-2.jpg

Picture039-1.jpg

Well now I need to get material for the uppers so it's on to narrowing the rearend.

Had to do a ton of measuring and remeasuring and get a print drawn up to make sure I didn't end up scrapping $1200 worth of axles and housing. This is my least favorite thing to do.:burn:

Picture041-1.jpg

Removed about 15" from the housing, the drops are sitting on the table.

Picture040-2.jpg

Got some more prep work done on the housing.

I didn't like the way it was welded.

Picture049.jpg

Picture047-1.jpg

I don't like the idea of grinding down welds that I didn't do so I ground a groove in all the existing welds and ran a nice fat bead over them to allow me to polish the welds down without risking any thin spots.

Picture046-1.jpg

Picture052.jpg

Picture051-2.jpg

Picture054-1.jpg

Then I got busy polished the welds down. I'll do more finish work later after I'm done welding all the brackets on.

Picture055-1.jpg

Picture058-1.jpg

Had to modify my aligment blocks to fit the Ballistic housing ends since they are a heavy duty end with extra retaining bolts.

The raised center section slides into the housing end and gets bolted up to line up the housing ends with each other and the center bearings. An aligment bar slides through the center before welding them on.

Picture042.jpg

Picture044.jpg

Picture045.jpg

The ends are a press fit and I just have them press on a little bit for mock up,

they aren't squared up yet.

Picture061-2.jpg

You can see the axle tube( marked with white) slides into the ends. This eliminates a butt weld and greatly increases strength. I'll also weld this end as well as around the inboard edge of the housing end.

Picture062.jpg

Picture060-1.jpg

You never fail to impress, frame is really looking good. Control arms...I'm tuned to see these come together. :popcorn:

It's going to be a little bit before I can get the arms going I need to get a couple of things machined first.

Awesome craftsmanship! Are you fabbing tubular a-arms?

I originally wanted to do tubular arms using 2" .250"wall DOM but my bender just can't do a tight enough bend. I'll be fabbing some from 3/16" plate steel.

That's gonna be a beautiful rearend on that Lady!

i have ran a few beads in the past 13 yrs, as a structual ironworker and a little in the ornamental field as well....

i have alot of appreciation for the amount of work you are putting toward this ride....

amazing to get to be able to it step by step....

truly a priveledge!

thank you for sharing!

keep up the awesome work!

You are an artist sir :popcorn: This is an outstanding ground up build!

That's gonna be a beautiful rearend on that Lady!

I'm found of it.

i have ran a few beads in the past 13 yrs, as a structual ironworker and a little in the ornamental field as well....

i have alot of appreciation for the amount of work you are putting toward this ride....

amazing to get to be able to it step by step....

truly a priveledge!

thank you for sharing!

keep up the awesome work!

Thanks. Glad your enjoying the build. I feel it's important to do these build threads to help educate others. Too many people hold onto their knowledge greedily and thats how certain skills get lost over time as those that posses them pass away and take it with them.

You are an artist sir :popcorn: This is an outstanding ground up build!

Thanks. There is lots more to come. The body is next on the list after the chassis.

Picked up the alignment bar today and got started on welding the housing ends on tonight.

I removed the ring gear from the 3rd member and installed the bearing alignment blocks in place of the bearings. I put the alignment bar it prior to tightening the bearing caps to make sure the blocks are square and true.

Picture063-2.jpg

Then I removed the bar and installed the 3rd member in the housing and installed the bar and housing end locator blocks.

Picture065-2.jpg

One side lined up good so I sqaured it up and tacked it in place.

Picture067-1.jpg

The other side didn't quite line up. This is why it's important to use an alignment bar. If the ends are off centered too much it will lead to bearing failure later.

Picture070-2.jpg

A little heat and some pressure and I had the end almost lined up. I'll finish fine tuning it tomorrow hopefully and get the other end welded on.

Picture072-2.jpg

Got the other end to line up and tacked it on.

Picture073-3.jpg

Also verified that the ends and alignment bar were square.

Picture074-2.jpg

Picture075-1.jpg

It's now ready for full welding and rear suspension mock up.

Picture076-2.jpg

My friend got my ball joint sleeves machined for the lowers.

Picture077-2.jpg

Picture078-2.jpg

looking sweet as usual! Are you going to truss the axle? Are you staying semi-float or going full-float?

Your bender is an animal if it will bend .250 DOM! My JD2 will do .125 wall at best.

:popcorn:

looking sweet as usual! Are you going to truss the axle? Are you staying semi-float or going full-float?

Your bender is an animal if it will bend .250 DOM! My JD2 will do .125 wall at best.

No truss on the axle. Using semi float stock style 9" axles from Dutchman. They only case harden their axles which gives them more strength without making them brittle.

I've bent 1 5/8x1/4" wall with my JD2 but it required an extra long handle for leverage. I have changed my mind on doing the tubular arms anyways though so I won't need to use the bender on this.

Got started on a lower A arm today. The coil pocket has been relocated for better alignment with the cylinder and the pocket has been dropped 1" also.

I used some 1 1/2x1 1/2x3/16" and some 1x3x1/8" to make a skeleton to hold everything in it's place and add strength.

Picture081-1.jpg

Made sure all the pieces were coped for a tight fit and strong weld.

Picture079-2.jpg

I'm using 1/4" plate for the side plates. The coil bucket will get trimmed down after I cap the top.

Picture082-2.jpg

The tube is welded to the joint sleeve and then the plate is welded to the sleeve on the outside and tied into the tubing also for maximum strength.

Picture084-1.jpg

Picture083-1.jpg

Made the other plate for the side.

Picture088-1.jpg

Picture087-1.jpg

Also tied the plate into the tubing where possible for more strength.

Picture085-2.jpg

Polished the edge of the balljoint sleeve where the plates came together.

Picture092.jpg

Thanks.

Bored all the body mount openings out. They are the exact size as the original opening so the body mount will sit on the reinforment plate instead of the stock frame. I'll trade the body sitting 3/16" of an inch higher for the gain in strength.

Picture103-1.jpg

Picture102-1.jpg

I had to make an adapter for the tube adapter since I'm not using round tube. I plug welded all 4 side and welded each end of the tube to insure it will hold up.

Picture099-1.jpg

Made a mock up arm to check out how the geometery is going to work with all the mods. Once I determine the final length and shape needed for the upper arms I'll do the real arms. Just grabbed some scrap pieces out of the pile that were close to the shape needed. I know the spindle is for the other side but it served it's purpose for now.

Picture100-2.jpg

Picture101-1.jpg

I'm waiting on the tapered reams until they get here I can't go any further.

Sweet work. One of the builds of the year, easy.

Sweet work. One of the builds of the year, easy.

One of the top builds of the new year for sure! keep on working!

how many hours in the day do you tend to work on this car? I assume you have a full time job and this is a side/hobby for you!

Thanks guys but at the rate I'm going it will be years and not year. Lol.

Work has been hit and miss for a while now so this and other projects have kept me busy in my down time. I'm not one to sit around so I just make sure there is always something in the garage to work on to keep me from going crazy.

I work as many hours of the day as possible some times it's only a couple hours some times it's 14 hours. I'm a single father also and I make sure to spend a fair amount of time with my daughter. Before I had her I'd work almost everyday of the year 12-18 hours a day, I spent many of holidays in the garage in my younger years.

Edited by outhopu

Got most of the 1st round of welding done on the frame today. I even welded all the lower corners. I want to do as much of the welding as I can while the frame is locked down on the jig.

Picture106.jpg

Also welded the housing ends on the rearend. I full welded the inside for now. I'm holding off on doing the outside, I may take it to my friends shop and use his tig welder for the outside weld.

Picture104-1.jpg

Then I started polishing down some weld. This section is ready to be rounded over.

Picture108.jpg

This section will need some more weld first. It's a little hard to tell but the white looking areas are low spots.

Picture112-1.jpg

Basically I will end up grinding all the welds down then going back over everything again with another bead of weld to build the shoulder up then grind it all a second time to get the perfect squared corner. After I get the entire frame to that point I'll round all the corners over. The corners have got to be smooth and straight without any bondo.