deernet

My first box build...

This is the optimal design for the X Con 18. My BTL 18 is going to be going into it. I got the design from the site here, thanks SSA! I've still got a lot of sanding to do. I did all of this last weekend. I'll be finishing it up this weekend. I've still got a lot of wiring to do. I've got a 270 amp Mechman alternator to put in. I've got 50 foot of 1/0, which I'm hoping will be enough. I think I'm going to use my starting battery I've got, a Napa 70 series or something, I'll have to look at the specs and post if anyones interested. I've got a big Wal-Mart brand battery with dual terminals I'm going to put in the back. I'll probably eventually get some better batteries once I get some more money, but for the power I'm running I think I'll be fine.

I got 9x18 pieces of plexi, but I think I should have gone bigger, because I had them drilled, and the place didn't want to go any closer to the corners than 2" for fear of it cracking, so that cuts down on the viewable area a lot. I also put some liquid nail around it to try and seal it good.

My dad helped out with it, and I used his tools, so shout out to him, thanks dad! haha

On future builds I think the only things I'll do differently is to maybe use a skill saw to get the pieces that go around the plexi smoother. May still change that since it isn't painted yet. I've got this textured spray paint I'm going to use, its supposed to look like stone, thought it would match my interior pretty good.

build%202.jpg

build%203.jpg

build%204.jpg

build%205.jpg

Something else, I can't find any distribution blocks I like for a reasonable price. I think I'm going to go with short pieces of bus bar. Maybe dip the positive side with plasti-dip.

I'll also eventually be glassing my RE XXX 6.5s into my door panels. I think I'll make some temporary boxes out of the scrap MDF I've got and put them in the back seat area until I get time to do the door panels.

Opinions and suggestions are valued.

Edit: One set of the terminals is for some LEDs. I got some super bright 3 watt LEDs, the ones used in the T15K Escalade build, so it should be pretty bright. I got banna plugs for the sub so you couldn't get them mixed up and fry the lights.

Edited by deernet

As I said before, I'm using the XXX 6.5 components. I'm thinking about getting some Selenium ST-350 tweeters, anyone have any experience with them? I'd like to have some loud highs cause I know the bass from the BTL will probably overpower my components.

For aesthetics any reason why you didn't put the plexi on the inside or am I seeing it wrong?

Very nice man! keep up the good work :)

inside_small.jpg

don't forget the brace from the back wall to the port, very crucial for the structural integrity of the enclosure.

Edited by JBLCAMRY

inside_small.jpg

don't forget the brace from the back wall to the port, very crucial for the structural integrity of the enclosure.

Man, I'm so glad you pointed that out. I've looked at that drawing a hundred times, and thought the measurements behind the port were just for alignment. Obviously I'm a dumbass. Thanks for the help man.

For aesthetics any reason why you didn't put the plexi on the inside or am I seeing it wrong?

There is another piece of 3/4 going over it so the plexi will sit flush.

There is another piece of 3/4 going over it so the plexi will sit flush.

Ah, I like.

Well, I got a little bit more done on it today. I didn't get started until late, and it was hot as hell outside, so I didn't work on it for too long. I'm hoping to get finished putting it together tomorrow. Maybe get it painted on sunday.

I had to drill out the holes in my BTL to accommodate 1/4" bolts, also because the holes didn't go through the foam on the top. I posted a thread in the FI forum asking if this was normal. I remember seeing a thread before about the holes not being big enough for 1/4" bolts, but I've never heard anything about the holes not going through the foam.

I got the brace mounted on the back of the port today. I'm glad that JBLCAMRY reminded me about that. I also did some sanding trying to round out the edges.

my%20btl%201.jpg

my%20btl%203.jpg

my%20btl%202.jpg

Here is a picture of the edges of the port after sanding.

port.jpg

trink40.gif

This is your first box build? Damn man come build mine then! biggrin.gif

trink40.gif

This is your first box build? Damn man come build mine then! biggrin.gif

I was telling my dad that people pay big money to have boxes like this built. I asked him if he would be interested in helping me on anymore of them to sell, and he said that for as much time as we've put into it, that he didn't think it would be worth it.

I'm thinking about buying up some power tools as I get some money. I'd definitely like to build some more in the future.

Ha Ha, listen to the old man. You can make more money cutting grass.

Ha Ha, listen to the old man. You can make more money cutting grass.

LOL, thats exactly what he said. "You could mow three yards in an hour and make $60, and we've spent over ten hours on this box."

Didn't get much done today except for a lot of sanding.

Here is a picture of the sub in the box:

sub%20in%20box.jpg

My dad had these huge pieces of copper bus bar he gave me. Its like 1/2" thick by 3x10" or something close to that. I meant to get a picture but forgot, I'll put one up tomorrow. I spent some time sanding and getting it all shiny. I'm going to drill and tap about eight 1/4" holes in two pieces about 3x5" and mount ring terminals to it. I still need to get some fuses though.