gadgeteer123

15" xcon not good at upper bass??

Please don't bash me for this. I want to know why my ssa xcon sucks at any frequency's above 60hz. I know they are mainly meant for deep bass, but every other sub ive ever owned could hit the 60-100hz range well, even my last 1000rms 15" i used to have. I know this sub is not those subs, but why is a sub that meant for SQ not able to hit those frequency's I really like the fill in there, even that some of you may think its pointless or dumb. also to add is that better component speakers would help but it would take like 6 8" woofers to get the feel i wan't and thats way way to much money for me.

You already answered your own question bro..... Midbass.

It doesn't take 6 8" woofers to get that. One set of components installed properly will get you what you want.

Please be nice, I just want a little lower mid-bass. half of my rap songs sound better on my 12" sanyo floor speakers that are 20 years old. just because when it gets to any of the higher bass notes it goes from loud to barely can hear it. and I have the xcon set at 80hz for crossover and i have tried 90hz also, and my 6x9's are set at 50hz.

Ya but I don't have much money. And my other subs could hit those notes just fine. its like there is a dead drop-off somewhere on the music, it will hit one bass note and be really loud and then it will go hit a note thats 5-10hz higher and Its really quiet. so idn..... i may be a :noob: but I do want to know why its just such a small freq.. range that it hits.

midbass usually comes from the mids if installed properly

I can bounce my mirrors with my midbass ( two sets of 6.5" components)

the enclosure could be at fault....I'v installed both the 12" and 15" Xcons and they

hit the upper double kick drums nicely

Please be nice, I just want a little lower mid-bass. half of my rap songs sound better on my 12" sanyo floor speakers that are 20 years old. just because when it gets to any of the higher bass notes it goes from loud to barely can hear it. and I have the xcon set at 80hz for crossover and i have tried 90hz also, and my 6x9's are set at 50hz.

The floor speakers are probably FULL RANGE, they are able to play low while still producing higher tones.

well the enclosure is 4cf tuned to 29hz. it was built by a pro. even that it is a great box there is a really tiny leak at the seam of my top plexi window, its small, I can't feel any air moving through it but I can hear it easily if i'm within a foot of the box.

I do have fully powered polk momo 6x9's. 100rms and they get really loud and have good midbass, and they even sound like a small sub if i turn the xcon off. but the xcon is so loud i can't even notice the midbass at all from those momo's.

well the enclosure is 4cf tuned to 29hz. it was built by a pro. even that it is a great box there is a really tiny leak at the seam of my top plexi window, its small, I can't feel any air moving through it but I can hear it easily if i'm within a foot of the box.

There inlies the problem. Your box is tuned LOW.

No turning back though, it's what you ordered. Buy a set of components and make sure you research many different kinds before you go asking questions.

There inlies the problem. Your box is tuned LOW.

No turning back though, it's what you ordered. Buy a set of components and make sure you research many different kinds before you go asking questions.

x2 your box is tuned to 29 hz of course its not going to sound strong on higher bass notes. Your box was designed to kill the lows. If your looking for a component set that has monster mid bass look at the JBL GTI series. It will pick up those notes over 60 hz with no problem. Or for a cheaper solution you could go active

As already stated, its not the subs fault, its the box tuning.What did you expect by tuning so low?

Edited by deernet

my next box is gona be tuned to 38Hz ....now its 31Hz and its to LOWWWW ,cause i listen to a lot of electronic music :drink40: my first mistake there (box to big and tuned to low) ..ok ...it moved air,but thats about it :drink40:

ok, thanks for you responses. I guess i will have to invest in some good components, but that won't be for a long time.

yep i can vouch its the box mine was tuned at 30 and only lows sounded good i re-tuned the port to 40hz and its alot better

would there be a way to change my tuning?? without building a new box?

Cut port off.

With your box now your basically S.O.L.!

Not exactly...

Not exactly...

Gonna mess up that pretty box up in order to do it. Especially if he has no tools to do it.

But yes you are right in that it can be done.

popcorn.gif

Chopping port won't mess the enclosure up any, it will still look the same.

Chopping port won't mess the enclosure up any, it will still look the same.

Not so sure about that! If it were me I would add 7-8" midbass up front!

100_0386.jpg

I'm sure he could find a way to shorten the port :)

Ya I could probably shorten the port, But at this rate i will live with it, it is still loud and is getting louder every day as it breaks in. I will just have to wait until I can afford some better components.