Smitty

Best way to learn how to install your own car audio

I've pretty much reached the point to where i'm sick of the car audio shops ive been dealing with and their bullshit, I really need to learn how to install my own stuff. What do you guys think is the best way for me to learn how to install car audio.

Look at the build logs on various audio sights.

Read and ask questions. People love to talk about themselves and their toys.

There is nothing hard about it, just takes time.

Thanks I will probably do that also, but i was thinking more along the lines of a certain book or dvd

^X2

Patience is the best thing you can have when installing your own gear. Take your time and you will see the results of a job well done. I have blown up far more things trying to rush through something because I couldn't wait to hear it only to have to rip it all out and start over when something went wrong. Like Sir-Lance said, look through the build logs, get a feel for what it takes to tackle a project and be realistic with your skills when starting one. It never hurts to push the envelope on your skill set and look at it this way, if it doesn't work out, you didn't fail, you just found a way that won't work! :ohnoes9: (I have found literally hundereds of ways that won't work, but it only takes one to get it right)

Good luck and here is a good website to browse...

Basic Car Audio

Word thanks for the site reccomendation, looks like great site to help get me started, (a whole lot of information there)

Ask questions, that is what we are here for. Even if the question seems stupid or one you should already know, its not so ask away as we are willing to help you step by step if you need it.

The simplest thing to do to learn the basics is to simply read the instructions that come with the equipment. Every single one of them will tell you how to install the equipment.

where are you located?

The best way for me was to just try installing it for myself...I only did subs and a set of comps, but im getting there too. As long as you know what you need for the install its not too hard. Like for my comps it was mostly just running wire, and i had to cut a hole in my sail panel. Seems like its hard but really is not in the end.

Just take apart the paneling so you can see what you have to work with, think of possible ways to install gear, and just do it. you would be surprised at what you can do, and if you run into any snags just ask us on here, we are always ready to help

one thing I've learned over here on SSA is to buy a camera(if you don't already have one) and use it A LOT! The pros love pics. It also helps when your trying to describe a difficult situation. Good luck in your quest. I think the local shops around here charge around $70-$75/hr. and that doesn't include all the :bull:

X2, X3, and more.... Everyone has great points here. Books or DVD's really won't help that much, they cover only the MOST basic skills usually and the examples won't work for EVERY vehicle out there. You'd still have to learn what you need to do for your specific vehicle. We're all on here for two main reasons, to learn anything new that we can, and to help out in any way we can. You'd be surprised how easy it is to learn once you dive into it and get your hands dirty. Then, you'll not only have learned some new things, you'll also have the pride to say you did it yourself. What kind of car do you have and where are you at? Chances are there's a forum member or two close by who could help out or give pointers where you need them.

there is no making up for a lack of shop experience.......get a job at a local shop....its what i did :peepwall:

Read, ask questions, if a product interests you research it and find the manual to it and read it. The manuals can give info on the product itself and other things it works with or does not. You have made it to this forum and it can be a wealth of knowledge in itself. May your journey take you to the sound you are searching for.....

Just like everyone else has been saying, read and ask questions. There is no reason to shell out the cash for a book or movie, hands on experience is the best way. Just be careful if you don't fully understand what you are doing, ask questions if you are really confused, and everything should be fine.

When I came to this forum i was A SUPER NOOB but now it seems from all the reading posting topics and you install your own stuff it comes to you. You just need to read instruction manuals and you will be on your way.

There are thousands of threads on here to learn what to do and what not to do :drink40:

Enjoy reading, we're here to answer questions as well.

The best way is to do it yourself with a knowledgable set of eyes to guide you. Or just read the instructions try it yourself.