jerbremser

5.1 Dolby Digital ?????

I have a 2003 Saab 9-3 with the factory 7 speaker system.

Right now everything factory the can does not do Dolby Digital 5.1 even though it does have a single center speaker located on the dash board.

I am wondering if this set up will work or will i need a Sound Processor still.

I am looking at a Dual XDVD8265 here is the product manual. http://www.dualav.com/support/manuals/xdvd8265.pdf

And i am looking at this Amp to power the 5 channels. http://images.techronics.com/pictures.cfm?sku=ALP-MRAF350

I am unsure of how to connect that 5 channel amp to the head unit as there are not 5 RCA outs on the amp.

I have a pair of Kicker Comp VX with a separate mono block amp for the trunk and the bass channel on the head unit.

Please share your thoughts with me.

Thank you

What content are you playing that is 5.1?

Either way, if you want to use that amp, you'll have to use a compatible Alpine head unit in order to pass input to the amp.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only content that would take advantage of 5.1 movies?

I do watch a lot of movies in the car while driving. If i have to drive out of town i will put a movie in before music everyday. The idea is to have 5.1 surround available. Even if regular music is not coded to 5.1 i will still have the option available.

I believe johnecon2001 is right and i would need a Alpine Deck to utilize that amp. I guess what im looking at doing now potentially is to have a 4 channel amp for the four corners and another amp to power just the Center channel speakers.

I think that set up will work.

Am i correct in assuming that if the deck has a RCA for center channel and it does Dolby Digital then i DO NOT NEED a sound processor?

I am glad you dont drive around here.

x2 for my home town ...

You don't drive in the North Salt Lake City area do you?

PM me before you do so I can stay home that day...

>>I do watch a lot of movies in the car while driving.

Wait, what? :WTFBubble: How are you even alive?

I do watch a lot of movies in the car while driving. If i have to drive out of town i will put a movie in before music everyday. The idea is to have 5.1 surround available. Even if regular music is not coded to 5.1 i will still have the option available.

I believe johnecon2001 is right and i would need a Alpine Deck to utilize that amp. I guess what im looking at doing now potentially is to have a 4 channel amp for the four corners and another amp to power just the Center channel speakers.

Am i correct in assuming that if the deck has a RCA for center channel and it does Dolby Digital then i DO NOT NEED a sound processor?

Why are you watching movies while driving ? Wtf..

5.1 is not for cars. It's movie oriented for theater or home theater settings. It won't image right in a car.

Why are you watching movies while driving ? Wtf..

5.1 is not for cars. It's movie oriented for theater or home theater settings. It won't image right in a car.

Doing the 5.1 thing in a vehicle IS possible bro. Just go check out your local SQ competition. But the vehicle needs to be parked to watch a good movie / video.

What does it matter it i watch a movie and drive anyways. Just a simple audio question and here you all are judging me. Who are you to judge. I am still alive and i have a clean driving record. So what about it.

If Dolby is not for cars maybe you can explain to me why the more luxury Companies are producing vehicles with 5.1 surround sound, like Cadillac and Lincoln and BMW and Mercedes Benz?

....Next thing is im watching youtube videos on my phone while im driving :)

and you have already been told the 5.1 is possible for vehicles ... may come with a heavy price, but possible.

What does it matter it i watch a movie and drive anyways.

Probably because you are controlling a 2500lbs missile traveling at 88 feet per second with hundreds of innocent bystanders surrounding you. Hence the reason it's illegal in many municipalities to have an active video monitor in view of the driver while the vehicle is in motion. Also the reason most manufacturers have a safety feature requiring the vehicle be in park or the e-brake engaged for the monitor to display videos.

If Dolby is not for cars maybe you can explain to me why the more luxury Companies are producing vehicles with 5.1 surround sound, like Cadillac and Lincoln and BMW and Mercedes Benz?

Retarded marketing bullshit can sell. Idiots buy when they are misled. Pretty stupid to have 5.1 for content encoded in 2.

What does it matter it i watch a movie and drive anyways. Just a simple audio question and here you all are judging me. Who are you to judge. I am still alive and i have a clean driving record. So what about it.

Of course watching movies in a car is pretty dumb too. Natural selection obviously hasn't worked...yet

Retarded marketing bullshit can sell. Idiots buy when they are misled. Pretty stupid to have 5.1 for content encoded in 2.

Of course watching movies in a car is pretty dumb too. Natural selection obviously hasn't worked...yet

:thanx:

To be fair to this guy, they sell DVD-A discs with music mixed in 5.1 channels. My dad had an Acura TL that had 5.1 surround sound and could play DVD-Audio, but not video. The DVD-A discs are rare, but there are ways to extract the audio information from any dvd, like a concert dvd for instance, and burn that as a dvd-a disc. Then it's music playing in 5.1, which can sound awesome. The only problem is you need to find a player designed specifically for dvd-a. Not many are. But even then, he could throw a concert dvd in and just listen, you don't really need to watch those.

His question isn't a completely stupid one, he just didn't have the best application in mind for it.

To be fair to this guy, they sell DVD-A discs with music mixed in 5.1 channels. My dad had an Acura TL that had 5.1 surround sound and could play DVD-Audio, but not video. The DVD-A discs are rare, but there are ways to extract the audio information from any dvd, like a concert dvd for instance, and burn that as a dvd-a disc. Then it's music playing in 5.1, which can sound awesome. The only problem is you need to find a player designed specifically for dvd-a. Not many are. But even then, he could throw a concert dvd in and just listen, you don't really need to watch those.

His question isn't a completely stupid one, he just didn't have the best application in mind for it.

I know, I have some even. The real question is how many does the OP and is it worth it to him to build a system for those 3 CD's...or whatever they are.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the only content that would take advantage of 5.1 movies?

No. DVD Audio and SACD are both audio formats in 5.1. FWIW Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon is fucking bliss on SACD. I love to get a couple valium, several beers, sit in my listening room and hammer it. The effect is unreal.

Any DVD player will play DVD-A. But it is best with a 5.1 analog out.

No. DVD Audio and SACD are both audio formats in 5.1. FWIW Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon is fucking bliss on SACD. I love to get a couple valium, several beers, sit in my listening room and hammer it. The effect is unreal.

I need to come to your house, I will bring the beer.

:drink40:

Any time. My home set-up is pretty killer. All Pioneer Elite with DVD-A and SACD fed through 5.1 analog passthrough and alll custom speaker builds by myself (huge ported mains stay flat to 32Hz in room), with a Brahma rounding out the bottom end.

I'll supply the valium ;)

Any time. My home set-up is pretty killer. All Pioneer Elite with DVD-A and SACD fed through 5.1 analog passthrough and alll custom speaker builds by myself (huge ported mains stay flat to 32Hz in room), with a Brahma rounding out the bottom end.

I'll supply the valium ;)

Sounds Nice. I believe I have seen some pics. Did you post some up or am I crazy?

:fing34:

:lazy:

Sounds Nice. I believe I have seen some pics. Did you post some up or am I crazy?

:fing34:

:lazy:

Well, you are crazy ;), but yes, I did post pics.

finished006.jpg

smDSCF0228-1.jpg

6198560045_large.jpg

6198560002_large.jpg

yes, that is an 8" mid in the center channel

Kit51.jpg

(rear ported 5.25 surrounds)

DV45A013.jpg

sm.jpg

Ooops, that RPTV is now a plasma