shortfuze9

Amp for 2 xcons

I have a zapco 9.0xd, 2200@ 4 ohms and I have a saz3500, 3500@1 ohm. Which would be the better choice for a pair of xcon 12's for the best sq? Car is an Audi A6. I like the idea of running them at 4ohms and it would be easier om the electrical but is 1100 each enough?

I have a zapco 9.0xd, 2200@ 4 ohms and I have a saz3500, 3500@1 ohm. Which would be the better choice for a pair of xcon 12's for the best sq? Car is an Audi A6. I like the idea of running them at 4ohms and it would be easier om the electrical but is 1100 each enough?

No such thing as underpowering a subwoofer, if your not going to be in competitions then that extra 600 watts per speaker wont be heard but probably seen on a meter. You answered your own question, if you want to run it at 4 ohms and make your electrical easier then why not just run the Zapco. If your really worried about sq you would worry about your subs last and not even worried about how much power you give your subs.

The box will be the best overall factor in how much power you can give a subwoofer, if you want to give them 1100 watts then build a box around that power level.

Both very nice amps , flip a coin and choose whatever you want

The amp wil have very little to do with the SQ of the driver , wouldnt worry about DF or low impendances , the box and placement of the box will however have a great influence .

and how would 4ohms be easier on the electrical ? a 1000 watts is a 1000 watts ... not setting the gains ideally but a tad lower and the power advantage of the sundown would be gone ....

furthermore I wonder what SQ setup "needs" a Kw for driving a sub , I mean it nice to have overpower for dynamics and cooler amps perform better but needing it ?

When I said sq I didn't mean it would be strictly sq. I meant I just wanted it to sound as clean as can be. And sealed? No. I'm sure the xcons will sound great ported.

As for the 4 ohms being easier on the electrical I meant that 2200 watts would have less draw (200? Amp) vs the 3500 (300+a).

I would go with the zapco if you are doing sealed. If you just want a nice blend with your front stage etc. If you want more output, obviously go with the sundown. If you had a ported enclosure, it would be a different story all together.

Since u want sq ur doing sealed box right?

Why can't a ported enclosure be used in an "SQ" setup?

I'll try a few different enclosures before deciding on one. I like the sound of ported prefferably. I want tight and clean before boom as I listen to a wide range of music. As for front stage, this will be a 4 way setup.

I didn't want to say ""SQL"" cause I know how some of you can be.

I would go with the zapco if you are doing sealed. If you just want a nice blend with your front stage etc. If you want more output, obviously go with the sundown. If you had a ported enclosure, it would be a different story all together.

I want it to sound good first, output second

Port them 30 - 33hz and throw that 3500D on em.

That would be a great set up.

LOL @ the SQL. Most of us still know what you mean.

Nice choice on subs!

Im. Being told everyday that I .need to port .my Icon. Still not made a decision yet.

People act like there's only sq (sounds perfect but low on output) or spl (loud as can be but sounds like a**) with absolutely nothing in between. Can't we have both? Something that sounds great while getting loud? Wouldn't that be ""SQL""?

Mark, would there be a reason to not go ported if I use the Zapco?

well it sounded like he wanted strictly SQ. and to me, sealed is definately cleaner sounding. but as the OP said, he will be doing ported.

well it sounded like he wanted strictly SQ. and to me, sealed is definately cleaner sounding. but as the OP said, he will be doing ported.

subjective but I'm with you...lol

I never said I would for sure be going ported, but who's to say that only sealed can be used to sound great and accurately reproduce a somewhat flat 30-60 hz?

ported is tuned to a certain frequency, so the enclosure would sound better at THAT frequency from what I understand.. So if tuned to 32Hz it would most likely sound better in the frequencies around the port tuning... Beyond a certain range it probably doesn't do as well... But don't quote me on that, I am no expert... That is just my guess on the subject...

The Xcon has a very flat frequency response sealed or ported.

I would port it just for that little extra slappage when you want it.

:dancing:

Porting allows for a tuned response. Usually the higher the tuning it will get louder but be real peaky, lower can usually flatten out the response but not have as much output. That's why I want xcons cause they like lower tuning for the flatter response.

I never said I would for sure be going ported, but who's to say that only sealed can be used to sound great and accurately reproduce a somewhat flat 30-60 hz?

i was just saying that; in general...i think that if i had to label one for SQ and one for SPL, i would label sealed as SQ. and ported as SPL. u can get SQ out of ported... i was just under the impression that u wanted to focus mainly on SQ. hence the reason i asked if you were going sealed. :fing34:

Go ported, on whatever amp you have. The Sundown is a good match , but a Zapco is a Zapco. So, it's up to you now !

The original question was which amp would be a better choice for 2 xcon 12's. The enclosure isn't in the picture yet. The build can't even really start till I get my 9515's sold first.

as for power the sundown hits right at the rated power for the xcons (1750 ea x 2 = 3500) . zapco is one hell of a product though, its up to you. i would LOVE to have that zapco you got, but for powering less of course. up to you, for 2 xcons i would use the sundown 3500

I have a two saz1500s strapped on my two 12" xcons. The box is 4 cubic feet tuned to 32hz. It sounds amazing. Sounds like you can go either way with what you have. I personally would choose the SAZ3500.

People act like there's only sq (sounds perfect but low on output) or spl (loud as can be but sounds like a**) with absolutely nothing in between. Can't we have both? Something that sounds great while getting loud? Wouldn't that be "SQL"?

Mark, would there be a reason to not go ported if I use the Zapco?

They are opposites by default, you can surely compromise, but then you shouldn't use that terminology.

i was just saying that; in general...i think that if i had to label one for SQ and one for SPL, i would label sealed as SQ. and ported as SPL. u can get SQ out of ported... i was just under the impression that u wanted to focus mainly on SQ. hence the reason i asked if you were going sealed. :fing34:

Still is an incorrect assumption. You should use a driver in an alignment it was designed for in a box that corresponds also to its design. SQ will then follow and that could surely be ported.

Why can't the halfway point between sq and spl be """SQL"""? The term has been around for several decades, but there's the few of the naysayers that say it doesn't exist. Obviously it does. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being sq, 10 being spl, I want in the neighborhood of 3- 5, """SQL""". That is the compromise.

Edited by nineball