Sign in to follow this  
maverickdog8@msn.com

Box Build For AA Mayhem 18

Looking for some ideas on building a box for my new mayhem 18 that should be here sometime this week. It is going in a 2002 pontiac grand prix 4 door. I can put it in the trunk or I can do a wall if thats whats needed. Just not sure on size and tuning for it.

What are your goals? If his will be in a daily driver, what kind of music do u listen to? Also, what amp do you have and what coils will you get?

I want to do a interchangable port for sure since I don't want to have to swap boxes for daily and shows.. It is a dual 1 ohm sub running off a Crescendo 3kw at .5ohm.

Why not follow AA's recommendations?

Mayhem

These are things you think about before buying a subwoofer. I say put it in the trunk sub up port on drivers side as a start. Good luck.

I thought about it before i bought it. I was gonna put it in my 2 door blazer, but then decided to put it in the grand prix.

bad move IMHO. How big is that trunk anyways? why are you set dead on a 18 inside of a trunk? Not downing your choice, just interested in why you decided to go that route?

Shouldn't be too hard to get in there, they recommend 5-8 cubes, I'd build an enclosure on the small side. 5-5.5 after sub/brace displacements and port since you are going to be running well over rms. What kind of electrical will you have to back that 3kwp @.5ohm?

Honestly I don't know where to place the enlosure size. I'm not set on trunk, I would love to do a wall, but just considered trying a trunk build with an 18. A wall would be easier, but at the same time I don't know what I would do for size, tuning(daily and spl. Would do interchangeable ports), and port volume for both.

To back up the Crescendo I am installing a 220 amp powerbastards alt, 2 runs of 1/0, and 3 Dekka AGM batteries.

Honestly I don't know where to place the enlosure size. I'm not set on trunk, I would love to do a wall, but just considered trying a trunk build with an 18. A wall would be easier, but at the same time I don't know what I would do for size, tuning(daily and spl. Would do interchangeable ports), and port volume for both.

To back up the Crescendo I am installing a 220 amp powerbastards alt, 2 runs of 1/0, and 3 Dekka AGM batteries.

ehh..powerbastards, I would not recommend them. Absolute worst CS i have ever dealt with, also there products are shit.

I can't find another brand that offers an alternator for the same price. I can't afford much more than that, they quoted me $289 shipped for a 220 amp with a 1 year warranty. Mechman quoted me a little over $550.

You pay for quality and performance, not quantity.

I can't find another brand that offers an alternator for the same price. I can't afford much more than that, they quoted me $289 shipped for a 220 amp with a 1 year warranty. Mechman quoted me a little over $550.

Thats exactly what I thought in my decision making a couple years ago. Turned out I ended up spending MORE money because the alt didnt fit my vehicle, and in the end paying a restocking fee to send it back.

The real question is what does this alt do at idle? And it is the Fitzall?

Just found it does 110 at 1200rpms..

you get what you pay for..i will leave it at that.

Yeah, but i have one of the most common engines out today so its gonna be a direct bolt on. Theres no way I am going to spend over $550 on an alternator if I only plan on keeping the car until next spring. Seems like kinda a waste of money.

Yeah, but i have one of the most common engines out today so its gonna be a direct bolt on. Theres no way I am going to spend over $550 on an alternator if I only plan on keeping the car until next spring. Seems like kinda a waste of money.

Most HO alts can be recasted to different vehicles. But yeah maybe i just didnt have a good experience with them you never know.

Last power bastards alt I saw didn't work any better than a stocker, actually, it got replaced by the stock alt right before he went into the lanes because it wouldn't charge properly.

Ill do a little more research, but I need to build a box for this thing. I am gonna run it on my kicker 2500 for now at 2ohm until I get my new alt and batteries.

Okay well I kinda jumped the gun and grabbed my buddies dual 1 18 lol. He had it sitting bnib and im gonna run 2 of them. What do you recomend for box size. I was told do 4 cub each, but that seems a little small for them.

101_0778.jpg

101_0776.jpg

101_0775.jpg

Fackin' nice, I'd be quick to remove my backseat for those beauties.

I'm not telling you what to do but I did the same thing that your going to do bro...I got a quality power auto for 250 shipped to my door, 200 amp max. At idle it made 24 amps and it dint make max current until almost 9000 RPM (spindle speed). After 1 Michigan winter it took a shit. I would have felt better walking up to a random stranger and just giving my money away. I now own mechman....love it still pissed i had to waist 250 to make spending 500 seem like a good deal.

I'm just saying my friend has an 18 in the trunk of a caprice

And um yea does not sound good...like at all

Please look into the alt some more. Mechman or DCpower are very respected companies and leaps and bounds Technically better over that PB alternator.

I'm talking with excessive amperage currently about them making me an alt. I think I will be happier with the quality than powerbastards and happier on the price than mechman. I'm only going have the car until spring like I said.

We are doing a 18.4cub wall, but after all displacements its 14.4cub with 202" of port. We are gonna start the build next saturday hopefully. Got a show coming up on the 29th that I want in on as long as my new Crescendo 3500 shows up in time.

I'm talking with excessive amperage currently about them making me an alt. I think I will be happier with the quality than powerbastards and happier on the price than mechman. I'm only going have the car until spring like I said.

We are doing a 18.4cub wall, but after all displacements its 14.4cub with 202" of port. We are gonna start the build next saturday hopefully. Got a show coming up on the 29th that I want in on as long as my new Crescendo 3500 shows up in time.

Look at Ohio Generator Alternators. If the Excessive Amperage does not work out. I am thinking about ordering one of the new bc3500d too they look great.

Sign in to follow this