justified

shutting down

Iam running 4 sundown 15" dual 2ohms on a sundown 2500 at 3/4 my amp goes into protect not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a 300 amp alt 3 2100 kinteck batteries sundown 100x4 rainbow higs & mids . I i have checked my wiring think thes woffers would be 1 ohm what am i missing voltage at amp 13.4 at time of shut down. I just replaced a sundown 1500 on to 18,s what am I doing wrong, thanks.

u have a DMM?

Measure DCR at the amp's terminals and make sure it's reading higher than 0.6 ohms

Also, i have typically seen many SA amps go in protect because of a light clipped signal.

I would check to see if u are driving the amp with a clipped signal. They are real touchy when u aren't running clean all the time.

it sounds like u need someone else to do what i said.

specs on ur equipment are irrelovant for this conversation, but rather how the wiring config and settings are.

Iam running 4 sundown 15" dual 2ohms on a sundown 2500 at 3/4

WOW thats a low ohm load for a daily driver ... and not enough amp power ...

Welcome to SSA Bro ... :drink40:

You only THINK they're wired to 1 ohm? May want to check that, like shizz said.

Cable, why is 1 ohm low for a DD? Seems to be quite popular last i checked.

You only THINK they're wired to 1 ohm? May want to check that, like shizz said.

^^^ This!!!

Just something I would not do ... and he's wondering why his equipment is not working ???

and did I read that correctly and he's running that amp at 3/4 gain ??

Just something I would not do ... and he's wondering why his equipment is not working ???

As long as the equipment is designed to handle it, which it is, nothing inherently wrong with it.

and did I read that correctly and he's running that amp at 3/4 gain ??

Unfortunately I believe you did.

As mentioned, first thing needing to be done is to verify the wiring of the subwoofers and final impedance. After that, it appears chances are good the gain needs lowered. Are you using any bass boost in addition to that high gain setting? Any other settings in the headunit or other systems settings that will affect the subwoofer?

3/4 referred to the volume gains at less than half, trying to get out to double check imdpendence . my 1500 never shut down. Ever.

What about the BB? I'm assuming you have a digital volt meter installed in your car, is that calibrated. AKA are you getting accurate voltage readings?

My ohms is 1.3 at the ampifier. My digatal volt meter is the same as the digtal meter i have mounted at the amp this amp is very strong at this point. I do not think it is necessarilly the equpiment i do not no every thing that is why i need help.

Don't know why thought 4 600w speakers 2500 watt amp would be a good choice must be a different math.

Don't know why thought 4 600w speakers 2500 watt amp would be a good choice must be a different math.

It's a fine combo, have you replied to the questions on where your bass boost is set?

What are your other system settings....bass boost? Any EQ in the headunit? Any other adjustments in the system which affect the subwoofer?

Something is WRONG...

You cannot get 1.3ohms at the amp from 4 D2 subs...

Assuming the DCR is ~1.3ohms, taking 2 pairs of these subs result in ~1.3 ohms PER pair...

So wiring in parallel will result in- 0.7ohms and series- 2.6ohms..

If you are really reading 1.3 ohms, sounds like you may have a short somewhere and will need to pull ALL subs out and disconnect them and test each one individually for coil damage.

Something is WRONG...

Assuming the DCR is ~1.3ohms, taking 2 pairs of these subs result in ~1.3 ohms PER pair...

If you are really reading 1.3 ohms, sounds like you may have a short somewhere and will need to pull ALL subs out and disconnect them and test each one individually for coil damage.

Is it possible that the drivers could be 0.7ohms in total, and 0.6ohms is from the amp, if he didn't disconnect the speakers from amp when testing.

:ughdunno:

Either way OP, do as Shizz said

u cant read ohms when amp is on.. it will shift constantly and can damage DMM too.

You won't get 0.6 ohms resistance even when amp is off, lol...

You are literally measuring right there at the connection point. resistance isn't measureable with a dmm.. not the case.

u cant read ohms when amp is on.. it will shift constantly and can damage DMM too.

But when the amp is off, does the circuitry that the positive and negative terminals are part of have any resistance?

He still hasn't replied about the bass boost on amp and or head unit.. those are useful items when an amp is shutting down.. Turn bass boost OFF :) if it is on..

Something is WRONG...

He needs to put his meter's probes together to see what kind of resistance is from the meter itself. Take that from the reading he gets from his voice coils. I just measured mine and it said .5 ohm, so take that away from his reading and it sounds about right.

A buddy of mine is having the exact same problem with a 2500D. His electrical system is solid (300A alternator, 4 deka 9ag31s), but for some reason its really touchy and will shut right into protect if you don't roll the volume, but then pops right back out of protect. He is running it at 1 ohm, and I know sundowns are overbuilt and can run at lower loads with no problem. Gain was oscoped and there is no bass boost. Maybe we got a defective batch?

A buddy of mine is having the exact same problem with a 2500D. His electrical system is solid (300A alternator, 4 deka 9ag31s), but for some reason its really touchy and will shut right into protect if you don't roll the volume, but then pops right back out of protect. He is running it at 1 ohm, and I know sundowns are overbuilt and can run at lower loads with no problem. Gain was oscoped and there is no bass boost. Maybe we got a defective batch?

or bad grounds, somewhere ? Don't know, just thinking !

or bad grounds, somewhere ? Don't know, just thinking !

Nah, not to thread jack, but I have definitely isolated my problem to the amplifier. I have dropped in several different amps into the exact set up trying to figure out what was going on and no dice, its the 2500D. As for OP, I would figure out your ohm load issue first before we blame the amp.