burko

What is Significant About Box Tuning?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the tuning frequency of a box really means. For instance, if my box is tuned to 35hz, will it simply not play any frequencies below that level, or will it sound like complete shit, or...? I just wasn't sure exactly what tuning frequency affected. I've read in a few places that higher tuning generally yields more spl, while lower is more geared towards sq. Why is that?

Hey guys, I was just wondering what the tuning frequency of a box really means. For instance, if my box is tuned to 35hz, will it simply not play any frequencies below that level, or will it sound like complete shit, or...? I just wasn't sure exactly what tuning frequency affected. I've read in a few places that higher tuning generally yields more spl, while lower is more geared towards sq. Why is that?

I think that 34 is my favorite tuning for a daily setup because its the perfect amount of spl and sq. A higher freq is generally louder because cars usually peak higher than a daily box would be tuned. The reason a lower tuning sounds better is that a box tuned to ~38+ is going to roll off below tuning and you lose a lot of low end. Also playing far below tuning can cause your sub to unload.

I want to fully understand this too. My buddy just got some AQ HDC 15's and we're not sure what the box should be tuned to because he wants to be able to play into the low 30's and high 20's but the recommended tuning is 38hz. With research we find all kinds of people saying "even tuned at 40 they kill the lows, it's all about the box." What the hell does that mean?

if i mont mistaken some manufactures suggests tuning at a certain level because thats where there drivers peak at that hz but will still be able to drop in the high 20"s all depending on the driver.. ive herd from a few 33 hz is prime but others say they like 40 hz idk?

I don't have much to say on why this and why that... I have my Icon currently tuned to 29hz and it slams the FUDGE out of the lows.... I think once I get into the 80-90 range it doesn't sound as loud I guess is the way to describe it..

I don't have much to say on why this and why that... I have my Icon currently tuned to 29hz and it slams the FUDGE out of the lows.... I think once I get into the 80-90 range it doesn't sound as loud I guess is the way to describe it..

80hz to 90hz is rather high. I'd let the midbass speakers pickup from there.

Box tuning is where most of the frequencies peak at, so basically your loudest frequency will be 35 hz... Make sense?

Yea I have the sub stop at 50to 60hz..80 is kinda high

Yeah it's all personal taste and depends on front stage, but mine is set around 55

80hz to 90hz is rather high. I'd let the midbass speakers pickup from there.

I have my HU sub output set to 50hz and the amp is at 60hz on the crossover... I only did so to hear and see the difference.. I cannot stop bad sound if I don't hear it first.... It was all done during initial setup.. I have my current front stage set to 90hz because I have some stinky 6x9 in the doors... When I get a proper component set I'll see what 70-90hz is like and go from there... I have a hole right now but its working out fine at them moment....

but thank you for clarifying fellas...

Box tuning is where most of the frequencies peak at, so basically your loudest frequency will be 35 hz... Make sense?

Yes, that helps. So it will still play frequencies lower than the tuning frequency of the box, but it won't be as loud as the frequency that the box is tuned to, correct?

Yes, that helps. So it will still play frequencies lower than the tuning frequency of the box, but it won't be as loud as the frequency that the box is tuned to, correct?

Yes and the frequencies will (i should say, should) be attenuated by subsonic filter to keep the driver within it's mechanical limits.

Yes and the frequencies will (i should say, should) be attenuated by subsonic filter to keep the driver within it's mechanical limits.

Which is 2-3Hz below box tuning, correct? So if my box is tuned to 35Hz, the SF should be right at 32?

Which is 2-3Hz below box tuning, correct? So if my box is tuned to 35Hz, the SF should be right at 32?

Yep.

eh.. subsonic setting depends on box size and tuning too...

My last wall i had-

3 15s in 13.5cuft

Tuned at 32hz, peaked at 51hz, subsonic was OFF.

I could play down to 25hz before it bottomed out on max power.

If the box was smaller.. i could have went down further.

Soooo......what happens if I design an enclosure with no peak? ;)

Yeah, what he said.. Hell if I know :P

Then you'd have a well designed, nice sounding enclosure. Peaks do give you extra gain at certain frequencies, but unless that is desirable to have a falsely bloated response I wouldn't do it.

I want to fully understand this too. My buddy just got some AQ HDC 15's and we're not sure what the box should be tuned to because he wants to be able to play into the low 30's and high 20's but the recommended tuning is 38hz. With research we find all kinds of people saying "even tuned at 40 they kill the lows, it's all about the box." What the hell does that mean?

Then he should have bought something other than the AQ's IMO, either that or AQ's recommendations suck.

My point was that the enclosure tuning has more important implications than where the enclosure will "peak" (since, ideally it wouldn't have a peak unless you were intentionally designing it to do so for specific purposes). The other important factors are related to cutoff frequency, cone excursion behavior, damping characteristics, impedance response, etc.

My point was that the enclosure tuning has more important implications than where the enclosure will "peak" (since, ideally it wouldn't have a peak unless you were intentionally designing it to do so for specific purposes). The other important factors are related to cutoff frequency, cone excursion behavior, damping characteristics, impedance response, etc.

I now understand.. Explain the significance of port tuning in more depth if you don't mind :)

Hard to know what you are looking for. Basically the whole purpose of a ported box is to increase your output and that is done with a port. Depending on the driver, the enclosure, and your goals you can alter the response of the box based on the tuning chosen.

Then you'd have a well designed, nice sounding enclosure. Peaks do give you extra gain at certain frequencies, but unless that is desirable to have a falsely bloated response I wouldn't do it.

Then he should have bought something other than the AQ's IMO, either that or AQ's recommendations suck.

Fuck it we'll just tune low.

And he got em for 150 a pop so yeah lol

The tuning frequency is where the port is going to be working the hardest, and where cone excursion should be the least. In an anechoic environment, the box is going to peak a few hz above the tuning frequency in most cases. Once you throw it into a vehicle all of that changes though...I peak at 57hz with a box tuned to 28hz because the cabin gain in my truck is a PITA. Box volume, port size/shape/length, sub placement, port placement, box placement in the vehicle, etc. all have an effect on how the sub will behave.

Easy to understand explanations by the gif's.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_2/cmilleressayporting.html

Edited by RAM_Designs