As the title states Would it be possible and worth it just to use my cap as a voltage meter? I know caps are useless but i already have it and i dont want to buy a volt meter when i have one on my capacitor. So do you guys think it will be ok, iv heard that sometimes caps can mess up your electrical but not too sure on how caps work and what there designed for. Any info on what to expect would be great, its an easy hook up process and would like to use it if it doesnt mess anything up, thanks in advance

I have the same situation too, hopefully they don't do any harm.

Edited by marq7890

Question before I give my two cents

Where are you going to mount this cap? And what does rest of your cars electrical consist of?

my electrical consists of a stock 70a alt, big 3 and a kinetik hc1400 under the hood. the cap will be mounted on the back of my rear seat which is usually folded down. I will have it grounded to the frame.

negative.. can you remove the meter off the cap?

AQ2200d @1ohm on 70a alt is bad enough.. adding an extra batt in the back is like a bandaid to a problem...

You install that cap in there.. you might as well just add some more amps too because that's the route you are headed down.

I am not and will not be running my aq2200 at 1ohm until i get a 180a hp alt and a second battery in the back, im not sure if i could removue the volt meter. It will be wired to 2ohms until i do so. and like i said im not using it for a cap its just so i can read my voltage for now since i already have it.

:(

Lol whats the sad face for man? you dont like 70a alts? :(

So does anyone know if it will be ok to install it just so i can read my voltage? not trying to solve electrical needs with it lol, if i could dissable the cap completely and just use the meter i really would haha...

I have no clue, so I'll add this - good luck. :eek5wavey:

So i came across this volt meter on ebay, let me know what you guys think because it is fairly cheap, shouldnt be too much to a voltage meter besides reading your voltage at an accurate pace

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-2-wires-DC-Voltage-Meter-4-5v-30v-/300582881501?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item45fc22c8dd

I wouldn't bother with the cap at all, get a voltmeter. The one you linked to is selling from hong kong but accepting payments in Australian dollars?

yea i was thinking just get one off ebay but i dont know how good they are i mean they cant differ too much from a stinger voltmeter right?

here another one which is super cheap and is US. also has good rating but price is kinda sketchy

http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-LCD-Digital-Volt-Voltage-Voltmeter-Meter-Measure-/130550100323?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e65647163

the last one looks like it might be tough to mount securely

Why do you need a voltmeter?

You can find cheap voltmeters anywhere.

Do the big 3 in 0 Ga, maybe add a secondary battery in the rear, and you will be good to go !

Sell that cap for a few dollars : it will pay for the 0 Ga wire and ring connectors for the big 3.:peepwall:

Hahaha thanks guys...and m5 for your amazon searching :). The reason i want a voltmeter is to see exactly how much voltage drop i have and how much ill have in the future, im not trying to spend more then $10 on it because i know once im voltage is good then i wont need it anymore as you state why do i need one, well i dont permanently but to check up on some things every now and then is a good idea to keep things rolling smoothly, I have a little 05 civic so it takes alot to get good voltage in there for what i want to do with it. Thanks for the opinions guys, i will most likely just get a cheap lil meter and get rid of this so called paper weight cap ahahaha :D

Just go to Wal-Mart or similar and get a DMM for $10-$15.

Just go to Wal-Mart or similar and get a DMM for $10-$15.

^this^ If you don't want one to install permanently anyway, why not buy yourself a useful tool that you will end up using eleventy billion times.

Harbor freight you can get a good CHEAP DMM for about 5 bucks!