Tony Nelson

uber budget speaker find

Even the set of 4 NRT 18s I bought in 2006 came straight from China.....

That was just manufacturing. Now they are owned. Engineering team hasn't changed yet and I hope that stays. :)

A friend of mine needs to fix 6 of them for his pro audio system. He loved those subs originally, but he is afraid to buy the recone kits. He doesn't know if they're worth the cost.

I bought 4 midbass speakers for his car, on that site. They seems to be very good. With the small motor (neodymium or somehing). He has only installed 2 of them, but he plans to use all 4. He likes them a lot. He managed to make them blend very well with the rest of his Davis Acoustics door speakers.

I'll take a look at their amp quick !

If your buddy doesn't want to spend the $$, for about 1/2 as much as the recones he could get some Eminence 18s that would match the Auras about 50 Hz or so. They just won't be close on the last octave or so. Not even marginally close....

A friend of mine needs to fix 6 of them for his pro audio system. He loved those subs originally, but he is afraid to buy the recone kits. He doesn't know if they're worth the cost.

I bought 4 midbass speakers for his car, on that site. They seems to be very good. With the small motor (neodymium or somehing). He has only installed 2 of them, but he plans to use all 4. He likes them a lot. He managed to make them blend very well with the rest of his Davis Acoustics door speakers.

I'll take a look at their amp quick !

Do you know what's wrong with the subs?

Those NRT motors used a coating/plating that isn't very heat tolerant and can peel. It might be as simple as removing the motor and cleaning the gap.

I do remember dealing with a guy in California, now that you mention it.

I think they were just drop shipped from China...

Killer subs though, I think they are still cranking away to this day....

Some reason I still want to grab a couple of these Aura amps. :)

Wish those pics were bigger... But thanks for posting them jj.. McRibs look hella good.. But I don't do the Mick no mores :suicide-santa:

^^ TC sounds is making a new version of the NRT 18. Has the motor.......

They are expensive, but I payed $750 each for the NRT 18s 6 years ago.....

Pretty much all versions of that sub (seismic systems, North Creek, 1808, NRT, etc) were almost a grand.... Hell, Wilson audio used a modified version in one of there monster (like 1000lb) home audio subs....

Some reason I still want to grab a couple of these Aura amps. :)

very sexy in person. a lot of weight to them as well

installed the 6.5 comps and 75x2 rms 2 channel amp today in my dads f 150.

ill give something of a first impression. the only thing i can compare these to where the 5 1/4" polk db coax's installed prior and a set of pg rsd comps in my car. however my doors were deadened and his are not.

its kind of late so ill make this short for now. ignore my grammar.. im sleepy

the mids were mounted in the doors, tweeters were also mounted in the doors.

the only decent music i had on hand was some pearl jam greatest hits.

pic from google

40869889.jpg

the tweeter is mounted behind the grill in the lower left. i used the angle mount and aimed them up towards the mirror/upper dash. we were in a bit of a hurry to finish up so i didn't get a chance to determine the best way to aim the tweeter.

the first thing i noticed was that the tweeters are really bright. his headunit has a 7band eq which i used to make some cuts across the top. also had the tweets at -3db on the crossover. i think the problem is the mounting location/aiming. other then that, the tweets aren't too bad. i forget what the pg rsd tweets sounded like, i know i enjoyed them more then the polks. imo the aura tweets are more detailed then the polks and a bit more aggressive then the pg's. maybe after some play time and re-aiming they will calm down.

i think the woofer is really were you get some good value. it's unfair to compare the pg's in a deadened door vs aura's(no deadening) but i think the upper hand goes to the aura's. i set hpf to pick up where his sub left off, about 70-80 hz. midbass is solid and on a few songs i got some buzzing from the door panel, too bad these weren't installed in a deadened door.

the mid range is pretty average but possibly better then the pg set. i need to listen to some better music first.

overall, i would say that the aura components are better then the pg rsd's if you can take the tweeter a bit. this set is a great value for the money. and a possible recommendation to anyone with a budget as high as 2-3 times what the aura's cost.

the aura amp is fucking sexy as hell. looks like great build quality and i would recommended them!

if you guys have some questions, post them.

These amps definitely appear to be ZED designed. The boards are strikingly similar to some BOSS amps. I do not like all the jumpers, typical of low budget board design. The big difference between Aura amps and BOSS amps is that Aura actually makes rated power, so I have heard. I am curious if there is a ZED marking somewhere on the board.

These look like decent amps. Clean chassis without wasteful add-on. Fuse ratings are on par with output. On the RPM2300 it has 2x40 amp fuses on a 450 wrms output rating.

I would expect that in a side by side comparison with a more expensive amp with similar power ratings that there will be no audio difference.

I do not have the means to collect amps just for shits and giggles. But if I did I would definitely scoop up a handful of these. I would probably never use them in an install. I like my high efficient small footprint amps.

Who has a problem with my post?

If there is any misinformation correct me, hater.

Who has a problem with my post?

If there is any misinformation correct me, hater.

Not sure, I fixed the negative for you.

Thanks for the review! I definitely want to get a pair of front components now! Hopefully I can grab a pair tonight or tomorrow. Idk how many are left exactly. I'm on a crazy tight budget so these are perfect.

^^ TC sounds is making a new version of the NRT 18. Has the motor.......

They are expensive, but I payed $750 each for the NRT 18s 6 years ago.....

Pretty much all versions of that sub (seismic systems, North Creek, 1808, NRT, etc) were almost a grand.... Hell, Wilson audio used a modified version in one of there monster (like 1000lb) home audio subs....

I actually wasn't aware that the NRT motors were used in lots of other woofers. Do you know what model the TCs are?

hey, did anyone else not get their order filled? I placed an order 2 days ago and then today received an email saying that they were sold out and the order cannot be filled.

This sucks.

I heard they hired the designer of the old school zed amps for the Aura amps. not sure if they are as good but they are similar. they are rated at 13.8 volts 20-20000hz all channels driven. the owners manual states that the 2300 will do 540 watts bridged at 14.4volts, 1000 hz. This is closer to how most amps are rated.

hey, did anyone else not get their order filled? I placed an order 2 days ago and then today received an email saying that they were sold out and the order cannot be filled.

This sucks.

looks like they sold out of 6.5's. keep an eye out in the f/s for a set or just pick up the 5.25's

I broke down and bought a pair of the 5.25" comps yesterday. I will provide a review once they show up and get them installed in my Civic.

I broke down and bought a pair of the 5.25" comps yesterday. I will provide a review once they show up and get them installed in my Civic.

Awesome! Looking forward to your thoughts on them. Can't beat those prices. :drink40:

I really need to stop spending all my money on car audio... These look pretty good.