spljim

will my dcon sound beter over time

I just put my dcon 12 in a 1.3cf sealed box it is air tite have 300 wats going to it and it sounds nice but I thaught with all the hype it would be better I know the sealed box is part of it but I have onely about 15 minents of play time on the sub so with more play time will the sub sound better I will have pic of my old setup and my new one up tomarow

It will break in after some play time. :)

They excel in vented enclosures, sealed yields good response and output, vented makes it better.

What do you mean "sound better"?

Regardless, it's not going to change drastically over time.

Also, for the most part, bass will sound the same regardless what reproduces it.

Really, if I had to say, it sounds like you had your expectations a little to high.

What do you mean "sound better"?

Regardless, it's not going to change drastically over time.

Also, for the most part, bass will sound the same regardless what reproduces it.

Really, if I had to say, it sounds like you had your expectations a little to high.

I wouldn't say that, His expectations were probably more biased to a ported enclosure scenario.

Everyone who is looking for output and "SQ" (which is misused on a constant basis) tend to go towards a sealed enclosure, when they should have gone with a ported enclosure.

My DCON 15 is in a 3.5ft^3 ported box tuned to 32hz. And I couldn't be happier. Honestly ... its not all that less powerfully than my xcon on some notes.

And the accuracy is awesome and it also packs a punch. Everyone I show always says... did u end up getting two of those DCON 15s?! (Because of the low RMS, very reasonable price etc... they thought it would sound like shit)

Lol so if I were you, id try a ported enclosure because mine is so accurate in this enclosure, I wouldn't even think of running sealed. Anyways... good luck! :)

What exactly is it lacking? Output? If so, larger vented enclosure would be an option.

Does it sound good on average volume but near max listening it starts to sound stressed or distorted at all? Perhaps your crossover points or gain is off.

Definitely go ported and set your subsonic filter right.

Well by switching from 2 ohm to 4 ohm you have lost approx, 200w. You mentioned you kept the settings the same, you need to restart and set the settings according to the dcon. For more output, go ported.

That driver likes a ported enclosure

That box looks so tiny!

The question I have is what kind of sound are you looking for? I think the dcon is a great sub for the price/power range. When I first installed mine, I wasn't getting the sound I was looking for, but after playing around with different sub placement, I found the sweet spot in my trunk and now couldn't be happier. If you are looking for more output, especially in the lows, I feel it is unfair to compare your sa8 vented to the sealed dcon. The sealed box will give you decent output above 40 hz faster transitions with lower group delay, but not as impressive in the super lows, even with the cone area difference. However, like others have suggested, put the dcon in a ported enclosure and it should give you more than enough output in the 30-50 hz range.

Edited by NucFusion

I have two in a ported box, the 3.2cuft. you can find here on the site. and i have them on a R/F T500-1bd and i love em'. so i would say go ported i think you may like that better.

I found out what the problem was I was using my brothers cheap mp3 player I put in a cd and it was night and day I dont have that problem with my ipod it most be the way he saved his songs to the mp3 player I like the output now if I wont more later I can go ported

I found out what the problem was I was using my brothers cheap mp3 player I put in a cd and it was night and day I dont have that problem with my ipod it most be the way he saved his songs to the mp3 player I like the output now if I wont more later I can go ported

:woot: