sundownz

New Sundown Project Vehicle

So... I want to do something for real this time and actually get a vehicle that can handle some weight and still drive around without issues. Concerns about driveability have really hampered my previous plans for something large. I really do NOT like driving huge vehicles either for the most part.

I happened across a really interesting vehicle by chance on Craigslist last week and decided to pull the trigger !

2006 Chevy Express 3500 w/ Duramax Diesel Engine!

I test drove it and it was alot more comfortable for me to drive than most huge vehicles and has some real power behind it as well.

I am looking at mostly music and mostly impressive demoing but would plan to compete in bass boxing and bass race with it.

We are talking to Shok about wiring, planning Excessive Amperage for alternators, XS Power 16v batteries, and of course Sundown subs, amps, and mids.

As of this moment I am thinking about 8x 18" woofers in a 4th order... initial box estimates put me at something like 100 cubes or so while leaving room for box thickness, amps, and batteries... so looking @ 3-4 cubes or so each sealed and 8-9 cubes or so each vented (so either 1:2 or 1:3).

Other thoughts have crossed my mind like a bunch of SA woofers... but I know plenty of our Team members have done that already.

I don't expect this to get done quickly by any means as we are looking into ways to beef up the doors, floor, and ceiling before we even touch the woofers... we'll also likely get the door panels made first as well (these doors look like they can hold a ton of mids easily).

CIMG5592.JPG

CIMG5593.JPG

CIMG5594.JPG

* 8 lugs are nice for this kind of weight ! Later on I'll put nice rims on it as well but these will do until the real work is done.

CIMG5595.JPG

CIMG5596.JPG

* Dash isn't the best for SPL by the looks of it but that isn't the biggest concern for what I want.

CIMG5597.JPG

CIMG5598.JPG

CIMG5599.JPG

* Has a ding on this side... but overall a clean van.

Edited by sundownz

Nice! This is the type of van I drive for work. Except we have the GMC. Very easy to drive, lots of room, and a ton of power! Looking forward to a build log!

is this a duramax diesel? if so power will never be an issue I have seen chevy trucks run mid 11's without opening the motor just intake, turbo, exhaust, and tuning.

is this a duramax diesel? if so power will never be an issue I have seen chevy trucks run mid 11's without opening the motor just intake, turbo, exhaust, and tuning.

Yes it is -- I wanted something that will still get out of it's own way with the system. So only a Diesel would do.

I've contacted a few performance companies as well about what I can do to it without harming the ability to reliably move the weight around.

Tuned in for this build! This should be epic!

I believe I saw one with a 4WD conversion and the Bully Dog tuning package.

Classic, a speaker manufacturer using a white van to promote products. :P

if you are not willing to change the trans out your gonna be limited too about 700 to 800 lb ft of torque

which even with an extra 2 to 3 thousand pounds will scoot lol

Edited by stovebolt6

Would be great to use this as a showcase for all your products, Oh wait, you would need a fleet of vans!! :D

I believe I saw one with a 4WD conversion and the Bully Dog tuning package.

This would be nice.

Mmmm look at all that white real estate just itching for some graphics, the things I could come up with for that!

if you are not willing to change the trans out your gonna be limited too about 700 to 800 lb ft of torque

which even with an extra 2 to 3 thousand pounds will scoot lol

I don't need THAT much power *laughs* Just a tad more.

Big thanks to SHOK for our wiring ! Great look product here ! Brandon and I have been talking about the construction on and off waiting for some free time to get started. Getting the wire in is a good first step :)

CIMG5908.JPG

CIMG5909.JPG

CIMG5910.JPG

CIMG5911.JPG

CIMG5912.JPG

I am stoked to see this come together!

That is exactly what i was looking at for our shop demo/display vehicle also! Those things are great! I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with in that thing, lots of 18's in a 4th would be great in there.

That its a ridiculous amount of batteries!!!

I've also changed plans to 9x 15" woofers on a flat back wall -- 4th order band-pass.

Figured this will be more efficient than parallel or even a clam-shell setup.

XS Power Batteries are here !

XS_Power.jpg

I walk by and grab one.lol

Nice stack right there.