Shogen

The NEW Phoenix Gold ... Amplifier looks SWEET!!!

Damn it does look good. I'm liking the design. Very clean and simple.

• Class A/B Topology
  • Burr Brown Operational Amplifiers

Very nice amp ...

ouch 55% efficiency.

Possible typo? Would be normal to see about 85-87% efficiency on class A/B amplifiers... But if it is 55% then... brakes!!

Id doubt it was 55%. Should ask on the phorum. Theres a few AAMP employees there I think. At least one anyways.

55% efficiency is in the normal range for Class-A/B...

ouch 55% efficiency.

Possible typo? Would be normal to see about 85-87% efficiency on class A/B amplifiers... But if it is 55% then... brakes!!

55% efficiency is in the normal range for Class-A/B...

Yep ... I think mine run somewhere in the area of 60 to 65% range ...

Like I said ... I think ... but its close

Edited by Cablguy184

Id doubt it was 55%. Should ask on the phorum. Theres a few AAMP employees there I think. At least one anyways.

Morgan is usually very helpful. These amps are supposed to be their first no compromise models since the MS series, despite having some very good models since them (Xenon etc.) Would love to try them out being a PG fan.

IMO, I really only pay attention to efficiency if; heat is an issue, foot print is an issue, extreme power is paramount. Outside of that, for a normal daily install at normal listening levels, it should not be that big of a deal overall.

Yes the 55% is typical for most A/B amps. So its to be expected. They are using Burr Brown OPamps which is a nice feature. The 41 detent pot's aren't really to special, but the active capabilities is a nice feature.

There seems to be a few companies bringing that feature to their 4 channels now days.

20120207_211353.jpg

Edited by audioarsonal

Yes the 55% is typical for most A/B amps. So its to be expected. They are using Burr Brown OPamps which is a nice feature. The 41 detent pot's aren't really to special, but the active capabilities is a nice feature.

There seems to be a few companies bringing that feature to their 4 channels now days.

20120207_211353.jpg

what amp is that?

1-ohm stable in stereo, interesting. pointless, unless your bridging to a sub perhaps.

either way, very sexy amps

looking at the elite 12d sub

60mm of peak to peak excursion interesting.

Elite.1 and .4 look like some new amps i want to play with as well as the components.

Isn't an inch like 25mm? So just over 2" PP isn't to uncommon nowdays.

It's been a while, but I think I remember reading on the PG forum that these things were going to be pretty darn expensive??

IMO, I really only pay attention to efficiency if; heat is an issue, foot print is an issue, extreme power is paramount. Outside of that, for a normal daily install at normal listening levels, it should not be that big of a deal overall.

Indeed. 55% is probably a full power efficiency rating anyways......just about any A/B is going to be in the 30%-40% range for efficiency at normal listening levels.

1-ohm stable in stereo, interesting. pointless, unless your bridging to a sub perhaps.

Bingo. Greatly increases system flexibility.

That's 30mm one-way. Good, but comparable to dozens of other subs on the market.

Though I've been a little leery of PG's subwoofer claims ever since their demonstrated failure to understand Hoffman's Law.

They are using Burr Brown OPamps which is a nice feature.

Meh. More marketing than anything. The Sony HU in my car right now, that I paid $95 used to purchase, has BB inside it. They aren't necessarily expensive, or unique. Just marketing.

The 41 detent pot's aren't really to special,

Agreed. Even moreso the fact that unless their pots have 0% error tolerance, those charts and the detents aren't going to be 100% accurate.

The effect on sound is more important than the exact frequency. Seems more marketing gimmicky to me.

but the active capabilities is a nice feature.

With the availability of outboard processing and processing built into headunits......I'd really like to see more of these companies save me money by building simple gain blocks rather than making me pay $$ for the engineering and parts to include these super-duper crossovers and other features that I have absolutely no need for. It's an amplifier. I need it to amplify. That's it.

With the availability of outboard processing and processing built into headunits......I'd really like to see more of these companies save me money by building simple gain blocks rather than making me pay $$ for the engineering and parts to include these super-duper crossovers and other features that I have absolutely no need for. It's an amplifier. I need it to amplify. That's it.

Preach on!

I get what you guys are saying... Same reasons why people still stick to the idea of using a separate amplifier for stereo equipment and an A/V receiver for home theater application...

So what is the crowd favorite for EQs? MS8?

I get what you guys are saying... Same reasons why people still stick to the idea of using a separate amplifier for stereo equipment and an A/V receiver for home theater application...

i prefer control at the hu. The automatic tuning doesn't appeal to me either.

Depends on goals, needs, budget, etc.