ssh

Another bloody calculator

http://www.bitpusher.in/

sealed enclosure page

input dimensions, driver displacement, double baffle option, end up with net volume. Pretty basic.

port area page

input driver's partial t/s specs, and calculate port area based on vent mach.

ported enclosure page

input dimensions, driver displacement, double baffle option, port area / number or aeroports, end up with net volume and proper port length (accounts for port displacement).

I started this in the morning, and just finished. From all the testing I've done I haven't run into any issues, but feel free to try it yourself, and post back.

Hope this alleviates some headache in designing your boxes. :)

if you send me some wood glue and some wood i'd be happy to give it a go lol

On a freight train. Here here we go!

cool...I liked your ports galore link too... FYI.... not all that sure about vent mach and it's relation to tuning/port area .... or really how it affects sound.... just yet

cool...I liked your ports galore link too... FYI.... not all that sure about vent mach and it's relation to tuning/port area .... or really how it affects sound.... just yet

Perhaps I should add an excerpt on vent mach.

For now I'll just say that vent mach / port speed is the speed at which air is being excited in the port. If it's too high it causes port noise, and port compression.

The more port area you have, the lower the port speed will be--generally (I say generally because changing the tuning frequency also effects this speed).

What affects vent mach? port area, tuning, and a driver's ability to displace air. It's calculated from a driver's t/s specs, power, tuning, and port area.

So port area isn't dependent on enclosure volume, sorry 12-16 rule.

nice!

Is this your calculator Stefan?

For now I'll just say that vent mach / port speed is the speed at which air is being excited in the port. If it's too high it causes port noise, and port compression.

The more port area you have, the lower the port speed will be--generally (I say generally because changing the tuning frequency also effects this speed).

What affects vent mach? port area, tuning, and a driver's ability to displace air. It's calculated from a driver's t/s specs, power, tuning, and port area.

I've used your ports galore and figured a nice box for my Xcon but I think it's too big for me.... At least to get it within the tuning and port area.... not sure but that one I've been using seems to be off in comparison to Torres when you look at slot port length.. Not sure but it's not the same as Torres

Where have you been? ;)

Cool site :)

Couple suggestions:

If you click "Calculate" and all the forms aren't filled out you should have it highlight the empty fields instead of trying to calculate it when there isn't enough information given.

If you click the "in." label you could have it cycle through different units like it does in Winisd.

Is this your calculator Stefan?

Yep.

Cool site smile.png

Couple suggestions:

If you click "Calculate" and all the forms aren't filled out you should have it highlight the empty fields instead of trying to calculate it when there isn't enough information given.

If you click the "in." label you could have it cycle through different units like it does in Winisd.

I'll add that later. :)

I've used your ports galore and figured a nice box for my Xcon but I think it's too big for me.... At least to get it within the tuning and port area.... not sure but that one I've been using seems to be off in comparison to Torres when you look at slot port length.. Not sure but it's not the same as Torres

What was too big for you?

I'm not entirely sure what the Torres calculator is based off of, and what it does and doesn't account for, so I can't really comment on it one way or another.

This site is based off the port length formula from the loudspeaker cookbook, and accounts for displacement of an additional mounting baffle, driver, and the port.

For what it's worth, it also happens to be the same as winISD for everything I've tested.

Hey Mods, could we pin this? There have been a lot of people asking where to find box calculators and this one came from one of own. Stefan, thanks!

For port displacement I'm assuming it uses the thickness of the material you input. How many sides of the port does it account for when it calculates the displacement? I'll do some comparing between it and some designs I have, thanks Stefan.

For port displacement I'm assuming it uses the thickness of the material you input. How many sides of the port does it account for when it calculates the displacement? I'll do some comparing between it and some designs I have, thanks Stefan.

It uses the port area * port length / 1728. So it doesn't account for material thickness. I figured it wouldn't matter for the aeros, or the slot, but with the slot it actually does account for a bit.

I'll change that.

Okay I added the displacement of one port wall for the slot port.

Edited by stefanhinote

Nice. I will try using this calculator on my next build, instead of paying someone. :P Thanks for sharing.

Okay I added the displacement of one port wall for the slot port.

great job!

one thing i noticed, on the port enclosure set up page you can change to aero port but you cant switch back to defult. well you could just refresh the page.

I had it set that way so they have to refresh if they use slot. Otherwise they'll input slot and it'll still have the cached info on aeros, then it wont know which to use. I could have it switch back and forth if they didn't input anything.

I like the calculator, but where is the blood?

It is October you know and I think you are teasing me about the blood!

would be nice if it also showed you what the port mach would be of the port size and tuning you choose on the ported enclosure setup or have an added calculator for that.

would be nice if it also showed you what the port mach would be of the port size and tuning you choose on the ported enclosure setup or have an added calculator for that.

There is one problem with calculating port Mach with power input like WinIsd does. Nearly all subs now a days use progressive spiders.

That's the entire reason for the vent mach page...

Otherwise the ported page would have to ask all the same questions.

There is one problem with calculating port Mach with power input like WinIsd does. Nearly all subs now a days use progressive spiders.

Never thought about that. Curious how much of a difference that would cause.