Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

1 hour ago, MKader17 said:

I have to admit, I've rarely heard about big diesel issues with all the people I know that own diesels, other than the engines that were known to be problematic.

Almost everyone I know with newer diesels for long enough end up putting not so small chunks of coin in them.  If you are pulling every day, sure, other than that nope, not for me.  If you just want a toy, sure.  Everything on them is just expensive it seems like.  I'll stick with gassers.  

On 2/21/2016 at 7:07 PM, nem said:

I like to do movements based on muscle twitch fibers. It really seems to work well for me, but it is very old school. 

Can you explain more or provide a link?

I've been looking into the speed at which I lift. When I do squats I feel like if I try to move faster I just feel more tired and don't go any faster. If I move methodically it seems smooth and easier.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my slow twitch/ fast twitch muscle fiber make up.

It makes sense to me because when I was riding bikes, I would bike at a much lower cadence than my friends but I could stay geared up and move just as fast or faster without tiring.

Mobile glitch

6 hours ago, nem said:

This is a very old principle that I learned from the old guys. Many years ago Ben Weider did an instructional poster set you hung up for reference. I gave mine to my nephew because I no longer needed the reference.

Here are two links I found that may help you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru25.htm

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ask-the-muscle-prof-how-do-i-target-fast-twitch-muscle-fibers.html

Here

6 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I've been looking into the speed at which I lift. When I do squats I feel like if I try to move faster I just feel more tired and don't go any faster. If I move methodically it seems smooth and easier.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my slow twitch/ fast twitch muscle fiber make up.

It makes sense to me because when I was riding bikes, I would bike at a much lower cadence than my friends but I could stay geared up and move just as fast or faster without tiring.

Mobile glitch

Where should I post bugs?

I hit quote on one of Sean's post on my phone (after posting my original post earlier) and my original post is still there. Which means I'd have to delete all of it before posting. Also, it never actually quoted Sean's post.

PS - I read the links Nem. Thanks!

I think I'm closer to on the right track then I thought.

12 minutes ago, topgun said:

Almost everyone I know with newer diesels for long enough end up putting not so small chunks of coin in them.  If you are pulling every day, sure, other than that nope, not for me.  If you just want a toy, sure.  Everything on them is just expensive it seems like.  I'll stick with gassers.  

On top of that they are slow and ride like shit.  Torque is useless in a chassis that can only use it for towing.

16 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

...can easily be had with FI.

Fi costs more than the up charge for diesel. Diesel is one conservative tune away from more insane torque. /Playing devil's advocate

I'd love to bolt on a turbo or a charger. I feel like there are so many supporting mods for it though.

Drove an SS Sedan and 2012 CTS-V today.

The V was completely different than my first drive a couple years ago.  The seats are TERRIBLE.  Traction was hard to come by.  First time I drove one that wasn't the case, but it was 90F outside, today below freezing.  Getting that car in an automatic is stupid as it goes sideways every time you stand on it unless you find a way to not make it downshift.

The MyLink is super easy to use in the Chevy, but FUCK it's ugly.

Add to that the complete disregard for acoustic treatments in that car and I am not sure I can handle it.  Rides amazingly stiff as well.

On the flip side, the power delivery is sweet.  Surprised at how peppy it is stock with the Auto.  With a manual it could be really fun and super fun with an LSA.

The only one local though is at a dealer I don't want to visit right now.

Other Mobile Glitch. Peng's photo was not in the correct aspect ratio.

9 minutes ago, ///M5 said:

The MyLink is super easy to use in the Chevy, but FUCK it's ugly.

Add to that the complete disregard for acoustic treatments in that car and I am not sure I can handle it.  Rides amazingly stiff as well.

On the flip side, the power delivery is sweet.  Surprised at how peppy it is stock with the Auto.  With a manual it could be really fun and super fun with an LSA.

There are a few aftermarket headunit solutions that can link up with the MyLink and will give you tons of information, gauges, etc.

26 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Mobile glitch

I try to keep the tension with every movement I do. I don't use my body for momentum since that defeats the purpose of lifting.

11 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

Fi costs more than the up charge for diesel. Diesel is one conservative tune away from more insane torque. /Playing devil's advocate

I'd love to bolt on a turbo or a charger. I feel like there are so many supporting mods for it though.

I'm actually surprised its less than the diesel upcharge.  I figured it'd be even if not cheaper.  But the gasser will make that power all the time, not just for 1 minute until the sensors kick it down again. 

Sean, what do you figure the ball park on a basic FI system with built transmission runs? 

2 hours ago, MKader17 said:

I have to admit, I've rarely heard about big diesel issues with all the people I know that own diesels, other than the engines that were known to be problematic.

For diesels they pretty much run forever, but when stuff goes bad it gets REALLY expensive REALLY quickly.

3 hours ago, MKader17 said:

Way less than the up charge if you are truly comparing Apple's to Apple's.  If I build an ss sedan I will have about $2500-$3000 into making more torque than any diesel will throw down for similar dough and the diesel will still be slow and boring to drive in comparison

2 hours ago, Julian said:

There are a few aftermarket headunit solutions that can link up with the MyLink and will give you tons of information, gauges, etc.

Ok. You've piqued my interest

2 hours ago, Julian said:

For diesels they pretty much run forever, but when stuff goes bad it gets REALLY expensive REALLY quickly.

If you don't tow heavy or drive 30k mi/yr they are a horrible expense for no reason.  Nothing on them is cheap

2 hours ago, topgun said:

I'm actually surprised its less than the diesel upcharge.  I figured it'd be even if not cheaper.  But the gasser will make that power all the time, not just for 1 minute until the sensors kick it down again. 

Sean, what do you figure the ball park on a basic FI system with built transmission runs? 

You Can kill any stock diesel for $3k.  Easy

I know you looked into it with your Silverado. Any Turbo Kit and associated mods you would look into?

Really, I say Silverado but I would be open to other trucks as well

I assume by the time I buy, trucks in currently the 22-26K range will be affordable to me.

8 minutes ago, MKader17 said:

I know you looked into it with your Silverado. Any Turbo Kit and associated mods you would look into?

KB Racing.  Not cast, but you don't need cast for the amount of time you will have it.

You could also argue that it isn't the best way to make power in a truck diesel or gas.  Having to spin is not effective for towing...

Amusing as well with the low rpm limits of trucks.  

Here is a perspective for you on torque/hp and real life.  Fundamentally you do not size a turbo for the engine, but size the turbo for the power you want to make.  Then you need to make sure your engine can spin said turbo.  The holsets that come on the Cummins are so small that a wee little Eclipse motor can swallow a pair of them.  Puts into perspective how pitiful modern truck diesel engines are.

Of course, if you just want to slowly move a ton of shit there is a different conclusion you can draw.

Btw, plenty of guys running 10 second 1/4mi in their 5.3 or even 4.8 trucks with a KB racing turbo and LESS than the $8500 adder you'd need to make a gas truck a turbo from the factory.

Stupidly us Americans and the Euro's have it backwards.   Stop and go traffic is hybrid effieciency land and big huge stretches of NO acceleration is diesel efficiency land.  Low rpm acceleration all roots/twin screw and 1/4mi turbo/centrifugal.  Somehow though that isn't realized by the manufacturers.