Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I hate the energy drinks.

They are refreshing, but don't perk me up much.

Maybe I can make some Ma Huang tea.

Probably not a good idea to offer coffee to guests in a mattress store I'm guessing....

Roofies, wallets, ephedrine, or beds?

I'll keep some of each for ya little fella. Combo platter!

God Loves Ugly.

One of the best Albums for Hip Hop in the last 15 years.

J

Well Rap actually.

J

I miss the Miami Bass scene

Probably the year were born, huh?

I miss the Miami Bass scene

Probably the year were born, huh?

I was about 8 or 9 when that song was really popular around here. Back then anything that happened in Houston was automatically cool/exotic/popular/awesome here.

Edited by Penguin4x4

OH MY GAWD YOU GUYS WENT TO RAINFOREST CAFE!?!!?! THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!

etc.

OH MY GAWD YOU GUYS WENT TO RAINFOREST CAFE!?!!?! THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!

etc.

So glad I am not from Texas tongue.png

Internet access has changed things a whole hell of a lot

4 x HGST Ultrastar 7K4000's in RAID 1+0

YOu've found the only two brands I've even heard of. We measure molten steel as it is being made to determine length and regularly you'll see Flir in the same environment. Wish I could help more.

Thanks. I figured you might know a bit about them.

Does anybody know much about reasonably priced thermal imagers?

I need a decent, portable, handheld, rechargable imager with decent resolution. It much be able to read roughly 500 F. I must have image storage onboard, and would like removable storage. I am want some form of bluetooth communication to transfer images/video to tablets, cell phones, and laptops (I want this so I can store images/video on my scanner where applicable, and to our tablets, shop computers, and my personal laptop). I want to keep them under $2000 if possible, but will go up to $2500 for an exceptional unit.

Uses? The initial idea was for the battery builds on the hybrids. I can hook up the batteries and hammer them with a fast charge. Heat signatures will let me know if there are shorted cells or exceptionally weak cells in the module to determine if it is worth using these modules or replacing them. I can also use it for misfire diagnosis (I can see the heat signatures of ignition in cylinders, opens in ignition wires, shorts in ignition wires, arcing in caps or coils, exhaust temperatures, etc), air conditioning issues (blockages, leaks, compressor/condenser/expansion valve/orifice function), vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, catalitic converter function/blockages... and literally hundreds of other uses. It will be an invaluable tool for me.

The 2 units I have more or less gotten stuck on are the Flir E5 and the Fluke Ti95. I am not opposed to the Fluke Ti90 or the Flir E4, but feel like the slight upgrades are worth the extra $500.

The Ti95 meets all my requirements easily. It has onboard storage and SD storage. It is definitely built for a more rugged environment, and just feels more significant in your hand. Finally, it's a Fluke... I have a Fluke 87 meter that is 25 years old and still functions like new and outperforms most modern meters. But it only has a 2 year warranty.

The E5 meets most of my requirements, but it is $500 cheaper. The requirement it lacks is the SD storage. It seems to be built more for security professionals, and contractors, as it is not built with the same attention to rugged in shop use. Biggest bonus? 4 year battery warranty, and 10 year warranty on the unit itself.

Information, input or advice?

FLIR-e40bx.jpg

http://www.flir.com/instruments/display/?id=61194

Fluke-Ti90-and-Ti95.jpg  F_Ti95_13a_ko_328x220.jpg

http://en-us.fluke.com/products/infrared-cameras/fluke-ti95-infrared-camera.html#techspecs

I will push the Fluke brand. Just because when it comes to taking readings, for me Fluke has been second to none.

J

Like I said, I know and trust Fluke myself. My meter lives in a rough environment and has arrived at a chunk of concrete at terminal velocity more than once... it still works perfectly. I have been through half a dozen sets of leads over the course of it's life... A meter outlasting it's leads is nearly unheard of.

Seth we have two at work, I will let you know what we use tomorrow.

Many thanks, Neal.

FLIR from the little I know is the name in the game, but beyond that I haven't a clue.  

Flir makes an add on for a iPhone but it only goes to 212*F.  

The FLIR is a nice unit (I actually got some quick hands on with one Monday, and I will get one in the shop to mess with next week), and I do like the price better than the Fluke, but I know the Fluke name and have nothing but excellent personal experience with their devices.

I saw that FLIR One. Cool idea, but it just doesn't have the range I need.

FWIW, I am a bit worried that I might want more range. I went through a few IR thermometers before I wound up with one capable of everything I throw at it. I fail to see a real reason for anything more than 500F, but worry about the measurement I may encounter at 750F...

I see more Flir than Fluke in Temp applications throughout business, but that isn't really where I spend that much time anymore. Been nearly 5 years, but industrial shit normally doesn't change so drastically.

That new AMG GTS tho.

Yikes. Purdy.

I agree good sir.  It's gotz de hot tuboz.

That new AMG GTS tho.

Yikes. Purdy.

I think it is an abomination. They ruined the 968 rear end and the front has sedan written all over it. Even the interior is subpar for a car that is north of $60k.