Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

So yesterday I go to the store, have them cut me two ribeyes, get home, throw them in the fridge for dinner tonight. I get home tonight and pull them out to prepare and both are pucking green. WTF?!

It's the myoglobin oxidizing. As long as it's not slimy or smells it's safe to eat. It's more than likely due to high humidity in the fridge especially if an unopened liquid was in the fridge or the meat was placed in the vegetable or crisper drawer. We see this a lot with facilities that don't properly control humidity.

Aged meat can get pretty nasty looking. Meat aged 2-3 weeks looks almost rotten before trimmed.

I absolutely need a planner.

:-(

I'd MUCH rather use my phone/outlook than a Franklin Covey thingee.
What do you use? Just outlook?

I cannot figure out how to make it useful for me.

What do you want to keep track of?

I have to take notes at meetings and set up to do lists that will change fast.

Think CS follow ups.

Also just something to make sure I'm getting everything done I need to. I have never been someone who needs to write anything down. I am however to the point where I'm capped out. I feel myself forgetting shit so I have been putting note in a folder, but it's messy and inelegant.

Are you at a desk when this happens?

I find adding more than one idea from random moments on my phone is a pain.

Also curious how urgent or long term what you need to remember is.

I would rather use technology, but I cannot figure out how to make use of it effectively.

The downfall of a Calendar in Outlook (or whatever syncs wtih your phone) is that most people put non-time critical events in a calendar which is time critical.

I work from lists. Regularly these are on paper as I am a doodler, but there is never anything ultra time critical on those lists. Those things I do first thing in the morning.

I need that, but more organized than a legal pad.

I take notes and doodle ideas on something other than what keeps them.  Meaning I transpose everything that doesn't get done quickly.  Organizing by priority is key, but it depends a bunch on how much you micromanage your own time.

And fuck me does the '15 Roush look GOOD!

Had me calculating lease payments, lol

I'd be concerned about the fridge or how you are storing your other food in it though.

Sean, what is the difference between a down "sweater" and a down "jacket".

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86467?feat=6723-GN2&page=ultralight-850-down-sweater&attrValue_0=Black

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83564?feat=850%20down%20jacket-SR1&page=ultralight-850-down-jacket

Several comments about the sweater is that they didn't feel it was warm enough.

Also concerned I'm getting a little esoteric here. I've read some about the downs...and the issues you mentioned about lack of effectiveness when damp or compressed. I'm concerned with my ability to properly deal with their "fragility". It appears most of the stuff I'm looking into with the layering and downs and such is really designed with hikers/skiers/climbers/etc in mind. I'm just a guy who is a sissy in the cold who shovels and plays in the snow with his kids.

With the layering, for example. I would only have 1 wool base layer, which I would only wear when I know I'll be out there a while. The rest of the time it'll be casual to and from the car type of stuff where I wouldn't have this layer. Would the down + shell be warm enough? And fit well enough for thicker clothes like sweaters to fit underneath?

Amusingly the wife just walked in with a crumpled up list that didn't make it through the dryer

Curious how you keep track of your potential customers as well.  I couldn't live without a CRM tool, but I realize your business isn't quite like mine.

Think CS follow ups.

Also just something to make sure I'm getting everything done I need to. I have never been someone who needs to write anything down. I am however to the point where I'm capped out. I feel myself forgetting shit so I have been putting note in a folder, but it's messy and inelegant.

I keep 2 lists, and have a spare sheet to write on near by. The spare sheet (post it note pad) is for immediate things as they come up or very short term reminders....messages from customers, notes about an app or account I'm working on, etc. The 2 lists are short term and long term to do lists. Short term is basically things from the post it notes I didn't get completed or time critical...sort of like my "must due today" list. Long term is non-time critical but important or things I simply am not able to complete at that time because I'm waiting on something else to happen first....follow up on something I told my staff to do, etc. The lists are sort of continuous...as I complete an item it gets crossed off, new items are added to the bottom until I run out of room.

I have yet to find an electronic solution I like. Takes too long to enter and organize in a program for me. Although mine are less of a calendar itemization (days of the week or month) and more a list of activities or information I need to remember over a certain period of time.

Sean, what is the difference between a down "sweater" and a down "jacket".

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86467?feat=6723-GN2&page=ultralight-850-down-sweater&attrValue_0=Black

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83564?feat=850%20down%20jacket-SR1&page=ultralight-850-down-jacket

Several comments about the sweater is that they didn't feel it was warm enough.

Also concerned I'm getting a little esoteric here. I've read some about the downs...and the issues you mentioned about lack of effectiveness when damp or compressed. I'm concerned with my ability to properly deal with their "fragility". It appears most of the stuff I'm looking into with the layering and downs and such is really designed with hikers/skiers/climbers/etc in mind. I'm just a guy who is a sissy in the cold who shovels and plays in the snow with his kids.

With the layering, for example. I would only have 1 wool base layer, which I would only wear when I know I'll be out there a while. The rest of the time it'll be casual to and from the car type of stuff where I wouldn't have this layer. Would the down + shell be warm enough? And fit well enough for thicker clothes like sweaters to fit underneath?

The sweater won't be warm enough for you.  The jacket could however be too warm.  Mine is even in our climate.  I couldn't wear it shoveling, but I could almost shovel without a shirt if there were no wind.  I generate heat.

I wear the sweater as my solitary layer for driving around from about 40 to 0.  Once I've experienced 0 I probably won't wear anything more than a polar fleece at 40.

I have a shit load of different layers, but have been layering my whole life.  I've been the same jacket size since 1988 or so.  

In college I wore a t shirt (probably the worst sweaty layer there is) with a light polar fleece and a down vest.  This was what I wore biking all the way down to -20f.  The lack of arms helped offset the extra heat I created at my core with the vest and let the sweat evaporate from my pits easily.  If I wasn't real active that wouldn't have been enough.  Same vest turned into a jacket works perfect even without the outer layer if not doing activity.

The shell is for shedding moisture and venting sweat humidity.  If you subject yourself to neither just the midlayer will be fine.  The beauty of too heavy of a down jacket is you can unzip it.  Pits might get warm, but you can vent pretty fast in the winter. 

On long trips you'll take it off once the car is warmed up too.  No way to keep it on.

As a single stay warm jacket this would work.  Let you play in the snow a bit, although not for 10 hours in a day and getting all wet.  Otherwise as a bystander of winter this would work well.  Just don't wear it cross country skiing.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/dura-down-jacket/38832165/_/A-ebSku_0880603412000050__38832165_catalog10002_en__US?showProducts=&backToCat=Jackets%20_%20Vests&previousPage=SCAT&tab=first%20ascent&dcolor=236

Size L is ideal for a 45 chest and 36 waist.  +/- at least an inch as a reference.  If you need more space in the waist the non-First Ascent ones are cut more "american"

Think CS follow ups.

I keep 2 lists, and have a spare sheet to write on near by. The spare sheet (post it note pad) is for immediate things as they come up or very short term reminders....messages from customers, notes about an app or account I'm working on, etc. The 2 lists are short term and long term to do lists. Short term is basically things from the post it notes I didn't get completed or time critical...sort of like my "must due today" list. Long term is non-time critical but important or things I simply am not able to complete at that time because I'm waiting on something else to happen first....follow up on something I told my staff to do, etc. The lists are sort of continuous...as I complete an item it gets crossed off, new items are added to the bottom until I run out of room.

I have yet to find an electronic solution I like. Takes too long to enter and organize in a program for me. Although mine are less of a calendar itemization (days of the week or month) and more a list of activities or information I need to remember over a certain period of time.

I am pretty much the same.  I use electronic for really long term as I don't like re-writing those ideas nor do I want to forget any.

When traveling I put my short term list into my tasks.  At home I regularly don't.  Tasks become longer term though when I travel as my goal is to clean the list before returning.  The goal being the most important part of course.

Anything with urgency is on paper.

I email myself somewhat regularly.  That is my "i am out and have a random idea" tracking mechanism.  Putting that in my task list gives it the wrong priority....unless it belongs there.

Organizing by priority is really the most important thing.

Exactly why my deals are all in a forecast tool.  Forecast tool that I pivot by importing into Excel regularly.  Can sort by any which way and do whatever I need with it.

The only time I don't wear down if it is cold is when I am exercising or dressing up.  Ultra cold and wearing a suit I don a wool trench.

If you want to be warm that is really the way to do it.  

Think CS follow ups.

Are you at a desk when this happens?

I would assume often yes. If we chat while out eating, then no. Or at the warehouse etc etc.

I would like to have some access from my vehicle. Not access while driving, but ability to grab info on the go.

So yesterday I go to the store, have them cut me two ribeyes, get home, throw them in the fridge for dinner tonight. I get home tonight and pull them out to prepare and both are fucking green. WTF?!

It's the myoglobin oxidizing. As long as it's not slimy or smells it's safe to eat. It's more than likely due to high humidity in the fridge especially if an unopened liquid was in the fridge or the meat was placed in the vegetable or crisper drawer. We see this a lot with facilities that don't properly control humidity.

Aged meat can get pretty nasty looking. Meat aged 2-3 weeks looks almost rotten before trimmed.

This is why roast beef, pastrami, and other beef cold cuts have that interesting iridescent sheen correct?

I find adding more than one idea from random moments on my phone is a pain.

Also curious how urgent or long term what you need to remember is.

For CS I will basically have to drop what I am doing if not working with a consumer unit actively trying to sell.

Anything large enough that would be a multi week/month project would be handled in spreadsheets etc.

I need something to hold lists I need to complete, also hold notes for what I want to go over when I do store visits. Mostly things I need to follow up on, but also remembering personal things about my managers that I might forget to ask them about if I don't have some active info.

Does that make sense? I'm on some pain meds tonight, so this may just be psychotic babble....

:D

Curious how you keep track of your potential customers as well. I couldn't live without a CRM tool, but I realize your business isn't quite like mine.

SSA is my potential customers.

I think we talked about this..... If I am to the point where I am trying to pull in more guests at any level other than a few basic things and meeting people at the bar etc.... something is wrong. I should be too busy to have that be something that would take my time.

If I'm really struggling with a bleeder store, then I might look at gurilla marketing, but it's more likely that me helping that manager close more deals is exponentially more valuable.

One thing I found interesting is the recruitment aspect. Corporate really looks for AM and DM roles to always be looking for potential warm bodies. Keeping those peoples info would be a big big help when out and about, but a digital contact would most likely be the bestest there.

Think CS follow ups.

We are in a really similar situation.

I do however need to have a daily list, that I can look back onto to review how things went. I will be expected to go over how I'm working things out if there should be a problem.

It's also part of my process, at the end of every day/week/month I review what I did well and what I didn't.

The only time I don't wear down if it is cold is when I am exercising or dressing up. Ultra cold and wearing a suit I don a wool trench.

If you want to be warm that is really the way to do it.

ABSOLUTELY.

If you aren't snowmobiling, or some other crazy shit, a wool long coat will be better than anything.

I used to snowboard in an old peacoat..

:)

I would kill for a bare bones vehicle without the extraneous bull shit.

This, the most fun I have driving is in the E30, it may not be the fastestestest car I own but its definitely the most enjoyable

I would kill for a bare bones vehicle without the extraneous bull shit.

The answer is always Miata.

E30 >> Miata

NEIN!!!!

Never ever ever ever ever. 

*I hate E30's*

Drive them back to back

Only jackasses drive E30's and E36's here. It's so played out, it's unreal. That's the only reason I hate them. I have a natural hate towards anything BMW because of who drives them here in Romania. 

Here only women drive Miata's tongue.png

Hah, that explains it :P 

Back when I was deciding what car to buy, the E30 was a serious option. A bit harder to find with the correct engine (318is). I ruled it out because it was possibly older and/or rustier than a Miata, it wasn't convertible (4-seat convertibles don't have too much appeal for me) and they were not rare at all on the streets here.

With the 2.5 liter 6cyl I'd end up paying 5-6 times the taxes I pay for a 1.8, be it Miata or E30. Not to mention higher registration tax.

2.8 stroker should work well in one smile.png

Relatively cheap to register it here, $50 year for registration and $20/month for PLPD and $30/month for incidental when it's put away for winter.

I paid almost $900 to register the 1.8 Miata. A 2.5 E30 would've been close to $1300 to register. 

Yearly cost for Miata: $80 tax and $150 insurance

Yearly cost for 2.5 E30: $300 tax and way over $150 insurance. 

Yeah, 1.8 E30 would have been cheaper but I'd still be driving a very common car with a supposedly complicated engine (as opposed to the Miata, which is like a cockroach, it could probably survive a nuclear blast). I like having one of the 2 first generation Miata's in town. And one of them is not registered yet. 

Factor in average monthly salary here and you quickly realize it's a big difference between the two. I already pay the $300 yearly tax for the Jeep and that's because you can't get a decent 4x4 with a small engine. But that's a different story...