Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I think I am going to start making my own beef jerky.Anyone have any tips,and opinions on equipment I will need and seasoning opinions..Maybe a new hobby I might be interested in. an save me some money because I am constantly buying this and paying to much for a little ass bag sad.png

Thanks,

Michael

Google. There are dozens of websites dedicated to homemade jerky and smoked meats.

One thing I do know is that a food dehydrator is completely unnecessary.

I think I am going to start making my own beef jerky.Anyone have any tips,and opinions on equipment I will need and seasoning opinions..Maybe a new hobby I might be interested in. an save me some money because I am constantly buying this and paying to much for a little ass bag sad.png

Thanks,

Michael

Google. There are dozens of websites dedicated to homemade jerky and smoked meats.

I am going to check them out. More curios if anybody here makes there own and how they do it just to get a idea...I'm going to research and put my own little thing together,don't wanna really copy something off a website %100 .. I wan't my own original smile.png

One thing I do know is that a food dehydrator is completely unnecessary.

Explain ?

Thanks,

Michael

I am going to check them out. More curios if anybody here makes there own and how they do it just to get a idea...I'm going to research and put my own little thing together,don't wanna really copy something off a website %100 .. I wan't my own original smile.png

My father in law literally cuts strips of deer meat, seasons them with salt and pepper and hangs them in a cold smoke house until they dehydrate. He doesn't actually smoke them, he just uses the same small building they smoke it. He only hangs if temps are below 45 and not humid.

They are some of the best pieces of jerky I've ever had.

Box fan method is definitely the easiest way

Thanks,

Michael

My father in law literally cuts strips of deer meat, seasons them with salt and pepper and hangs them in a cold smoke house until they dehydrate. He doesn't actually smoke them, he just uses the same small building they smoke it. He only hangs if temps are below 45 and not humid.

They are some of the best pieces of jerky I've ever had.

I like deer jerky!...Does he use the same method as they used to cure ham?

What sections of the deer does he use? I am going to start with beef,I do have a buddy that has a bunch of deer meat "he does every year",I will hit him up for some. smile.png

Box fan method is definitely the easiest way

No way..Lol I noticed the odd&unusual cuts of one of the raw pieces of meat...When he opened the filters it was no where to be found..LMAO

Dry air pulls moisture from skin and muscle tissue. That's why exposed skin gets dry and cracked during the winter months. Jerky is just dehydrated lean meat, so it stands to reason that all you need to make jerky is lean meat and dry air, which is the traditional method of making jerky.

Now, there are two methods of making jerky. Most popular method is cooked jerky, where the meat is cooked throughout. That's how all the bagged jerky out there is made. Second method is air drying, which is how MKader's father in law prepares his. The meat is not cooked, just dehydrated.

Food dehydrators are little more than a heating element and a fan; they cook the meat more than they dehydrate it. You don't really need either. As MKader said, all you really need is to hang it up and let nature do its job.

If it's not cold or dry outside, you will need to do it another way. Cooked jerky you can just throw it in an oven or smoker, easy peasy. If air drying, not cooking, you don't need a food dehydrator, just a box fan contraption as shown above.

Edited by Penguin4x4

Dry air pulls moisture from skin and muscle tissue. That's why exposed skin gets dry and cracked during the winter months. Jerky is just dehydrated lean meat, so it stands to reason that all you need to make jerky is lean meat and dry air, which is the traditional method of making jerky.

Now, there are two methods of making jerky. Most popular method is cooked jerky, where the meat is cooked throughout. That's how all the bagged jerky out there is made. Second method is air drying, which is how MKader's father in law prepares his. The meat is not cooked, just dehydrated.

Food dehydrators are little more than a heating element and a fan; they cook the meat more than they dehydrate it. You don't really need either. As MKader said, all you really need is to hang it up and let nature do its job.

If it's not cold or dry outside, you will need to do it another way. Cooked jerky you can just throw it in an oven or smoker, easy peasy. If air drying, not cooking, you don't need a food dehydrator, just a box fan contraption as shown above.

Notice the first piece of raw meat he puts down..I did not see this piece  when he opened the filters..I not saying this would not work,but I don't believe the finished jerky was the same as he placed down in the start of the tutorial ..lol.....I would also think non-cooked would be better as the nutrients would not be cooked out.

It's not the only box fan jerky video on YouTube, just the first one I clicked on. Feel free to look for others.

Notice the first piece of raw meat he puts down..I did not see this piece  when he opened the filters..I not saying this would not work,but I don't believe the finished jerky was the same as he placed down in the start of the tutorial ..lol.....I would also think non-cooked would be better as the nutrients would not be cooked out.

Nutritional differences between air dried and cooked jerky is negligible.

Nutritional differences between air dried and cooked jerky is negligible.

Hmmm....maybe cooked during the summer,air dried in the summer? Idk

Whatever works

What is  a good cheap dehydrator for a starter?

Whatever works

What is  a good cheap dehydrator for a starter?

Standard household oven

I do have a 5cfm fan that is attached, I wonder i that would move enough air to speed things up....

And off to the North Shore to put some miles on the sled!

You suck!
wish we had snow here. Managed a hair under 450mi

I do have a 5cfm fan that is attached, I wonder i that would move enough air to speed things up....

You can cold smoke with the Egg with a temp controller. Naked Whiz has an intriguing method of using a coffee can and a temp controller:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/coldsmoking/coldsmokejerky.htm

They also make these doohickies

Four hours total of activity >75% max. heart rate. Good enough? No? Fuck it; it's plenty.