Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

And I know it is listed at slightly more, but you get to negotiate in Asia smile.png

Sitting in business class on a flight to LAX. Pilot took my picture in the pilots seat smile.png LAX to Tokyo next. Thank god for business class...

You go Godzilla! 

and listening to Megadeth on the plane while shopping for thrash guitars :P

rockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gif

ie, if you have some idea I'll keep my eyes peeled as well. Some great shops up here.

Looking for a 4 or 5 string with active pickups, narrow (read not extra deep) neck, painted fretlines. Much like you, I tend to play more on feel. Needs to be comfortqble sitting to practice as my Dean flying V is not.Not opposed to the right acoustic as well.The fretless you found is a steal at 175 especially if the glide is right.J
Are you only interested in painted lines? ie, are dots enough? Have you tried to use a footstool like classical guitarists with the Dean? Do you like the Dean neck?The frets actually confuse me on a bass, but I played upright for so long and just grabbed an electric for when I couldn't travel wtih the upright. I love attempting to play old school funk or flea funk on the bass. I used to have a Fender Jazz Bass and a nice Peavey. At some point around 2000 I bought a Japanese Ibanez for dirt cheap which is all I have now. Still fun to pound on occasionally. Amazingly nice action for the $125 I paid for it lol
More of a lines kind of guy. I have played with dots but I get off a bit too easily at this point. Usually I play one leg up, other leg supporting the body. With the V the only resting spot while seated is in the notch, making reaching the top of the neck a PITA. That being said, the neck while standing glides easily in my hand, not too wide, but could stand to be slightly thinner.

The Fender Jazz bass and the old Peavy I played in HS was a copy of the Fender strat body. I also had a DeArmond JetStar that was great to play, but was a bitch to sit and play. Ibanez has never had the right feel or sound for my taste, as I tend to bounce between a jazz line, and a metal line. All depends on my mood,

J

I don't like the new either but for the price it is sweet. Sou d on a bass to Mr is all pickups and strings but feel is HUGe
The body does play a factor as does the neck setup. Hell the difference in tone with a fretless and fretted Fender jazz bass is HUGE.

I will agree that feel is paramount

J

play the same sake exact bass made out of two different woods and you'll agree a lot more. Sustain is about all that changes and even that is pretty slight. Not saying a pos will sound like a fender jazz bass but within reason I find no difference

Very true Sean. I try to feel and listen to the sustain before plugging in. Pickups and strings can be changed, settings on an amp can be edited, but it's useless if the sustain and the feeling of the neck in your hands is not right. While they may seem like 'minor issues' to the novice, they are huge deals once you get even the basics down.

Part of my love for fretless is the ability to adjust the tremolo with less risk of fret buzz.

J

anyone have advice on what kind of cookware to use with those glasstop electric stoves?

i grabbed some cheapo's from wally world when I moved in with the intention of buying better stuff later.

Depends on what you are cooking. Anything that is no stick or teflon coated should be thrown in the garbage. Not useful for any kind of cooking.

I'm a pretty shit cook but thats mostly due to lack of experience. Just want to get a few decent pans, a knife, and speed more time cooking rather than heating cans of soup in the microwave lol.

what do you cook or want to cook? That somewhat determines the pan.

Mostly I'd still figure out what you need and then shop Homegoods/TJ Maxx places for bargains. As a general rule I think All Clad from there is usually a reasonable thing to think about buying.

i'll have to do some thinking about that. figured i'd start with the basics. Fry pan, sauce pan, maybe a wok for stir fry.

What would be the best way to cook a steak? Sear then throw it in the oven?

Steak needs REALLY high heat and then not so much heat. Can do the opposite as well. Either a grill or stove top for the hot part and either a grill or oven for the low part. Make sure whatever pans you buy can go from stovetop to oven otherwise I would say that is also a useless pan.

i was thinking about using a caste iron pan for just the oven part if i cant find something that can do both.

I thought I'd post a my 2 pennies on this. If I had to start with nothing and had little money I would get a good cast iron skillet. Do NOT buy lodge, find an old Wagner or something similar. If you are cooking on glass top make sure your cast iron is flat on the bottom (mine has a rim and it hurts heat transfer significantly on my flat top). You can buy pretty bad looking cast iron at a garage sale and restore it to former glory.

Get a good knife if you can (per Sean's recommendation) and I would recommend a cheap Victorinox back up ($15) with a similar pairing knife. To me I like the cheap one in case I have to cut something odd that I don't want to use my good one for.

Then a good size stainless pot. Its of course good for cooking large meals on a budget.

After that a good stainless skillet (again like Sean said, get at TJ Maxx etc).

I would still have a small non stick for little things (eggs, toasting spices, etc).

I did the majority of my cooking in college on a cast iron pan and pot. They are great because you really can't screw them up.

appreciate the advice. I'm not against paying decent money for good stuff. just dont want to get something I wont need or use.  

A 33-year-old man was admitted into an emergency room after a motorcycle crash in Germany. Doctors noticed the berries to his twig were hard, swollen, and blue, while his left leg was shorter than it should've been. Why? "Femoral-Head Dislocation to the Scrotum." Yes, the top of his femur was sheared off and shoved into his ballsack.

nx0vfpwmtgd6vnfmhwtf.jpg

considering what i'm paying to eat at the cafeteria at work i could spend quite a bit, pack my lunch, and still save money over time. 

and the food fucking blows so i have plenty of motivation

A 33-year-old man was admitted into an emergency room after a motorcycle crash in Germany. Doctors noticed the berries to his twig were hard, swollen, and blue, while his left leg was shorter than it should've been. Why? "Femoral-Head Dislocation to the Scrotum." Yes, the top of his femur was sheared off and shoved into his ballsack.

nx0vfpwmtgd6vnfmhwtf.jpg

There's a whole new kinda pain right there!

rockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gifrockwoot.gif

rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif rockwoot.gif

cool.png

nx0vfpwmtgd6vnfmhwtf.jpg

Oh lord!! My ballz suddenly started hurting sad.png

Sitting in business class on a flight to LAX. Pilot took my picture in the pilots seat smile.png LAX to Tokyo next. Thank god for business class...

Have fun bro!!! And get the stewardess's drunk!! smile.png

Now this is a catfish!!! I thought the 13lb I reeled in was big...

Weighs about what I do!!

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/now-trending/It-looks-like-a-giant-sea-monster-but-apparently-its-just-a-catfish-294403211.html

it's a monster!

Sad thing is most people mishandle giants like this and the die.

When they get huge the water buoyancy holds thier guts and vitals in the proper places.

Catch it snap a quick pic and let it go....IMO

That way somebody else can get the joy and the genes pass on.

Back in the day there were big fish swimming in a lot of places.

Paylakes and ignorance ruined the u.s. wild fisheries.

You can tell when waters are protected and respect for wildlife are practiced by the size of the

fish in the area.

Now this is a catfish!!! I thought the 13lb I reeled in was big...

Weighs about what I do!!

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/now-trending/It-looks-like-a-giant-sea-monster-but-apparently-its-just-a-catfish-294403211.html

it's a monster!

Sad thing is most people mishandle giants like this and the die.

When they get huge the water buoyancy holds thier guts and vitals in the proper places.

Catch it snap a quick pic and let it go....IMO

That way somebody else can get the joy and the genes pass on.

Back in the day there were big fish swimming in a lot of places.

Paylakes and ignorance ruined the u.s. wild fisheries.

You can tell when waters are protected and respect for wildlife are practiced by the size of the

fish in the area.

A beast!! They said they let it go,Probably had no choice!! When they was playing with it,Probably it snapped and took off...LOL

Around here you're lucky to get a 40-50# in the rivers.

Most are between 5-20#

Paylakes love to pay illegally for locals to bring them fish for stock in overpopulated ponds.

They have huge fish kills in the winters because there isn't deep enough water and enough food .

That's why their jackpot bracket get such huge $ amounts.

Then you get a ton of drunken idiots handling fish....it's a recipe for disaster.

But yeah i bet it would've been hard to hold onto if it decided to swim away...lol

But yeah i bet it would've been hard to hold onto if it decided to swim away...lol

X2 biggrin.png  I wouldn't play with it!!!

It's big enough to eat that dude. Fish eat anything that'll fit in their mouth....lol

It's big enough to eat that dude. Fish eat anything that'll fit in their mouth....lol

I would have died from laughing if that little fishy would have tried to eat him why he was trying to hold it!!biggrin.png   That would have been a classic!!

Hahahaha!