Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I almost had a catastrophic failure in one of my grow rooms this morning. They are sealed rooms, or as we call it CGE. (Closed grow environment) Every aspect of the environment is regulated and automated, but still requires constant monitoring. AnyWho I walked in and the AC unit was not working. Thank God I was there and it was a quick fix. Simple diagnostics determined that the power switch had failed. Since the AC is turned on by an external controller, the switch was not needed. Glad it was that, otherwise it would've been a whole new unit.

Shit man. How much had the temp gone up?

J

You don't have a process alarm setup?  

I almost had a catastrophic failure in one of my grow rooms this morning. They are sealed rooms, or as we call it CGE. (Closed grow environment) Every aspect of the environment is regulated and automated, but still requires constant monitoring. AnyWho I walked in and the AC unit was not working. Thank God I was there and it was a quick fix. Simple diagnostics determined that the power switch had failed. Since the AC is turned on by an external controller, the switch was not needed. Glad it was that, otherwise it would've been a whole new unit.

Shit man. How much had the temp gone up?

J

Actually was not bad, under 100.  Have had other failures before and walked into a 125 degree room. Doh.gif

You don't have a process alarm setup?  

To cheap to buy the intelligent controller. Although they make one that will text you if any perimeter is out of tolerance.

Just got off the phone with the painter. I know I have an abrasive personality, but God what a dick. 

You said you have multiple. Could you setup a potential duct between multiple rooms to help you limp along in the event it happens again?

That or have a spare AC unit.

How sophisticated is the monitoring? Just curious

I have some outdoor speakers I am wanting to install at my hot tub. Thinking a cheap amp from Madi or PE, wired into the 110 leg on the tubs power panel.

Love me some outdoor Paradigm's, I have mine wired into zones 6 and 7 on my theater amp running as zone 2.

Your project sounds fun. smile.png

I will have to look them up. I have a set of JBL control 25's. Planed on building some shelf's off the side of the tub, that can double as solid drink holders. Hopefully the JBL's will sound good so near field.

Pictures of the project. :)

Biggest choir on the list is rebuilding my front deck. I rebuilt the rear deck a few years ago, but it needs painted again. I will be doing the trex on the front deck for that reason.

All boy, that sounds like me, I am extending the rear deck and adding support so the hot tub can be under roof and out of the weather.

Wife text me last night and said Lowes is offering 10% off their in stock trex wood. Guess I will be buying the decking this week to make her happy.

Thanks for the heads up! I shall head over to lowes directly and see whats available. 

I had did trex on my last house and absolutely loved it. No need to paint, no splinters. Biggest thing is not getting a dark color, as it gets HOT. biggrin.png

We are still looking and not positive on which brand yet.

Going out to see the amish tomorrow and YBC. 

You said you have multiple. Could you setup a potential duct between multiple rooms to help you limp along in the event it happens again?

That or have a spare AC unit.

How sophisticated is the monitoring? Just curious

generally when there is a problem, it bc something got bumped or was not turned on. Otherwise equipment failure, as most things are not meant to run 24/7. I keep a spare of most things for this reason. The other reason to keep spares is when you need it on the spot, thats when its sold out. The AC unit that went down was only installed a few months ago, and was my spare. Like I said things are not meant to run 24/7, so lots of things don't last long.

Every climate control device in the room is on its own timer, or in the case of the AC, a day and night temp controller. This particular room has 10 fans, 3 of which are just wall mount oscillating ones that stay on. 1 inlet, 1 outlet, and 3 inline on the sealed HID light ducting. The other 2 fans are in the AC and the dehumidifier.  The room is sealed and uses the inlet and outlet fans to exchange the air every 3 hours. The purpose of the CGE is to be able to enhance and control the levels of C02 in the room. 

The controller they sell, controls the relative humidity, c02 and temp. It's benefit is if a perimeter is out of tolerance, It will do the appropriate action. So say there is a temp spike, it will shut off the C02, turn on the exchange fans and/or turn on the AC. Same if the relative humidity is to high, will either turn on the dehumidifier or the exchange fans, depending on how its set up. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I had this controller before, until it failed. Honestly once everything is dialed in to work in concert, the failures listed above are really the only thing to worry about. It's more like a mechanical and service, than a gardening job most of the time.  

All the rooms pull air out of a control room, or "lung" room btw.

I have some outdoor speakers I am wanting to install at my hot tub. Thinking a cheap amp from Madi or PE, wired into the 110 leg on the tubs power panel.

Love me some outdoor Paradigm's, I have mine wired into zones 6 and 7 on my theater amp running as zone 2.

Your project sounds fun. smile.png

I will have to look them up. I have a set of JBL control 25's. Planed on building some shelf's off the side of the tub, that can double as solid drink holders. Hopefully the JBL's will sound good so near field.

Pictures of the project. smile.png

Of course. smile.png

Biggest choir on the list is rebuilding my front deck. I rebuilt the rear deck a few years ago, but it needs painted again. I will be doing the trex on the front deck for that reason.

All boy, that sounds like me, I am extending the rear deck and adding support so the hot tub can be under roof and out of the weather.

Wife text me last night and said Lowes is offering 10% off their in stock trex wood. Guess I will be buying the decking this week to make her happy.

Thanks for the heads up! I shall head over to lowes directly and see whats available. 

I had did trex on my last house and absolutely loved it. No need to paint, no splinters. Biggest thing is not getting a dark color, as it gets HOT. biggrin.png

I just went and looked at Lowes. Everything was on sale, but were all the fluted style. Which is not what I am after.  Maybe you will have better luck.

I just went and looked at Lowes. Everything was on sale, but were all the fluted style. Which is not what I am after.  Maybe you will have better luck.

I like the hidden fastener system which is what I am after.

I'd like to come see it first hand

Supper tonight!! doubled up on my heartburn pills dogs with 8 beers and Michael's homemade chili smile.png

">http://20150413_201916_zpsnnr6cq7e.jpg

">http://20150413_201926_zpsgaabanbd.jpg

Supper tonight!! doubled up on my heartburn pills dogs with 8 beers and Michael's homemade chili smile.png

">http://20150413_201916_zpsnnr6cq7e.jpg

">http://20150413_201926_zpsgaabanbd.jpg

Because I am a dick:

You can avoid the top cutting if you do the other diagonal, it's faster then and safer but this is easier:

As for the chili, you forgot the chile.  Chili powder is fucking retarded.  Read the ingredients.  Two major portions are cumin & peppers NEITHER should ever be used more than a few days from their whole state.  Even better if you can do it in hours.  Both also require a pre-roast before cooking.  Throw the store bought BS away.

Now the burger.  Your pan was NOWHERE near hot enough.  You burn your steaks, but are afraid to cook burger?  For instance, when done browning dump the meat into another container.  When you look at the pan and go OH SHIT I've got 3 hours of scrubbing to do you've got it about right.  Now deglaze that pan with a liquid.  For what you made I like beer.  Homemade stock is never a bad choice.  If you didn't season (ie salt) your hamburger and EVERY layer of the chili you failed.

Cheese.  Grate your own from something real, you lazy bastard.

Looks to me like you also fucked up on the tomatoes.  Find the cheapest big can of San Marzano's you can find.  Seriously.

And lastly, stop buying fake ass hot dogs.  You just got part of a cow, why the fuck didn't you turn some of the less savory parts into hot dogs.  Great use for ground beast.

And yes, I have problems with garbage fast food - the way I "helped" it would be far from that.

If I got yours in a restaurant I'd be pissed and I'd be in Detroit.

I could probably do three whole onions as fast as Gordon does one half even if you delete the commentary.  He is going REALLY slow...but that is for the sake of the video.

Hung is a little bit faster than me, but is definitely significantly more accurate.

He uses really strange knives though.  I am also mostly reliant on two knives for 99.9% of my work.

I had the 2nd guy from the left in the top pic make me a custom sashimi knife for slicing towards me.

http://www.mtckitchen.com/t-aboutourknifebrands.aspx

Looks like this, but with 2 grades higher of steel:

http://www.mtckitchen.com/popup.aspx?src=/images/product/large/90259_1_.jpg

The other knife that fits me really well which I use for slicing away from me or down is this:

9632.jpg

Both are 10", you'd be better off starting with something in the 8" range as you have to be either extremely agile or just down right big to need it.

I have a 12" F Dick too for when I want to get all nasty on some shit, but that was a gift.  The other two blades account for at least 95% of my prep work.  Maybe more.

Can't find a linkable pic of the 33cm one, but if you click you'll see it.

One Japanese, one French but both Japanese steel.

I wish the MAC 10" fit my hand better.  I love the way it is balanced and how it works with me, but it doesn't feel solid in my hands.

Great knives, and honestly considering the craftsmanship, I expected a lot more.

If you don't have a custom knife made, do you save a good bit buying in person vs online?

J