Mark LaFountain

Welcome to the IHoP v.2

I am on the last hole on my belt AGAIN!

This is horse sht!

Smaller?

I changed my major today, and all my classes for next semester for the forseeable future look to be about 30- 45 minutes each way (damn traffic). That being said it makes me wonder if I would be better off with something more fuel efficent than the Tundra as there is no 'highway' to cut down the stop and go. Am I braindead to look for something more fuel efficent that wouldn't cost me anything out of pocket (possibly even put some in my pocket) and just get a mid sized SUV with a smaller engine and better MPG? I refuse to go down to a car as I just do not feel safe in them.

J

Run the math to see how many miles you'd have to drive to save money switching vehicles.  

Its a lot if its any money out of your pocket to change vehicles.

I'd be looking to either trade with no money out of pocket or to put some in. Right now the truck booked for 23,500 a few weeks ago. Down here 4x4 Tundra's are not all that common. The vehicle I had for a rental and loved was the Volvo XC60. Great gas milage, still some nice get up and go. Both on regular unleaded. The Tundra on the other hand loses about 1-3 mps going from super to regular, so gas costs me about 2.50 a gallon now.

J

Easy enough to just spell out your expenses and what the alternative will yield.  Rarely does it help, but it can if you drive a pig and switch completely in the other direction.

That's what I am doing. Looking to see if it's worth the hassel going from a 5.7 to a 3.2 (optional turbo depending on which one), as well as what savings it may have.

J

The turbo XC60 is a mess.  Horrible lag/boost profile.

From fueleconomy.gov

Combined average MPG on 2012 XC60 is 20mpg

Combined average MPG on 2012 Tundra 5.7 is 15mpg

FL Gas prices from Gas Buddy:

XC60 requires premium at $2.25/gal

Tundra regular at $1.90/gal

60min a day at 30mph is 30 miles/day commute (both ways)

Normal commute 200 days/year

Commute cost savings:

Volvo:  2.25 *6000mi / 20 mpg = $675 per year to commute

Tundra: 1.87 * 6000mi / 15 mpg = $748 per year to commute

Saving $73/yr on your commute will NOT buy you anything.  Lol

If you want it for all miles you drive, scale it.  For instance, for 20k miles.  ($748-$675) * 20,000/6,000 = $243/yr

Figured if you hadn't managed the calculation yet, this might be eye opening.  I've NEVER seen an instance where someone saves money due to gas mileage by buying a car.  Choosing a different car when you do buy, of course, but the swap is rarely a difference maker.

My case is probably the most extreme (I'll use FL gas prices)

Escalade, 10mpg average (if I am lucky).  I drive 15k mi/yr.

$$  = 2.25 * 15,000/10 = $3375

Any random bullshit car at 30mpg

$$ = 1.87 * 15,000/30 = $935

Savings to "buy" a new shitty econobox:  = $3375-935 = $2440 or $200/mo to drive a complete piece of shit in comparison with my Escalade.

*I cheated as well.  I average 10mpg but I am not counting the highway miles where it is usually around 17-18mpg which is more than half my mileage.  In reality that means it is maybe $100/mo I spend on keeping it on the road.  

I am on the last hole on my belt AGAIN!

This is horse sht!

Smaller?

Yup

Only got 3 months on these.

Thank god for work I rely on suspenders.

Even with my expedition getting 7 MPG at the end it would have taken 3 years to catch up.

Says the guy who has a good portion of the intake off his truck atm.  Fucking fuel rail keeps popping off the rear injector. :(

It had a talk highway gear and that average is rush hour.

It got 13 when she was healthy. 13 highway or 13 in town. It just didn't matter

The early mod motors werehorribly inefficient. Fuckers run forever though.

I get 10 in town/highway in town, but on long journeys when you just go 80 I can get closer to 20.  I still have a problem with the gas pedal being used on the highway though so it is normally closer to 15 there, but gas is not an expense I pay attention to.  

Felt good to drive the pig today again.  Stupid fuel rail better stay down this time.  Aargh.

The turbo XC60 is a mess.  Horrible lag/boost profile.

From fueleconomy.gov

Combined average MPG on 2012 XC60 is 20mpg

Combined average MPG on 2012 Tundra 5.7 is 15mpg

FL Gas prices from Gas Buddy:

XC60 requires premium at $2.25/gal

Tundra regular at $1.90/gal

60min a day at 30mph is 30 miles/day commute (both ways)

Normal commute 200 days/year

Commute cost savings:

Volvo:  2.25 *6000mi / 20 mpg = $675 per year to commute

Tundra: 1.87 * 6000mi / 15 mpg = $748 per year to commute

Saving $73/yr on your commute will NOT buy you anything.  Lol

If you want it for all miles you drive, scale it.  For instance, for 20k miles.  ($748-$675) * 20,000/6,000 = $243/yr

Figured if you hadn't managed the calculation yet, this might be eye opening.  I've NEVER seen an instance where someone saves money due to gas mileage by buying a car.  Choosing a different car when you do buy, of course, but the swap is rarely a difference maker.

Point made. While the Tundra gets less (more off road than street truck tires) and I use premium as the MPG on regular unleaded is much less than on premium. Additionally in Pinellas the gas is 2.02 for regular and 2.42 for premium due to taxes. Additionally I have put on 71k on it since I picked it up in July 2011. It's rare I come close to the 5mths on the oil change (usually hit 5k in a few mths).

The XC60 is just an example. I've looked at a few others, I just loved the Volvo I rented before. Yet your example makes enough sense to disuade me from doing it.

J

Combination carpal/cubital tunnel release surgery today...fun. Hand is pretty much useless at the moment, heh.

New pistons are on the connecting rods. Took longer to make a fixture than pressing the old ones off and the new ones on.

The early mod motors werehorribly inefficient. Fuckers run forever though.

Indeed. 270k or something. It was rebuilt at some point.

It was the tranny that really caused the problem.

Combination carpal/cubital tunnel release surgery today...fun. Hand is pretty much useless at the moment, heh.

Sucks because I can't go to the range and test out the mods on Svetlana. Boo.

Gretchen is just plain damned awesome. One of the best guns I've shot by far. Lovin' it.

I get 10 in town/highway in town, but on long journeys when you just go 80 I can get closer to 20. I still have a problem with the gas pedal being used on the highway though so it is normally closer to 15 there, but gas is not an expense I pay attention to.

There no way you could get 20mpg if you got that thing on the highway and just set the cruise at 80 for most of a tank.

Buying an extra beater for mpg worked out for me, back when gas was $4 a gallon and I was driving 128 miles a day round trip. I paid $1200 for the car, the gas savings paid off the car in the summer of work and I kept it for another 3-4 years, put about another $6-700 in repairs over the time, and sold it for $1000.